Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Getting an iPAQ rx1955 to sync with a Mac

Getting an iPAQ rx1955 to sync with a Mac
USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2006, 12:14 PM

I am at my wits end.

As you may know, I purchased an iPAQ rx1950 yesterday because PocketMac was always hit-or-miss for me, and Missing Sync did not support my existing iPAQ h4300.

Don't get me started on how much all this trying-to-find-a-Mac/PDA-solution-that-works-with-Entourage ordeal is costing me.

So I get home last night, download Missing Sync for Windows Mobile 5 (another $40), and....

It doesn't work.

My shiny new iPAQ has THIS problem (Google is amazing): The PDA Guy

I think, "GREAT! I'll just download the patch and presto!"

HA!

Well, it turns out you need a Windoze PC to run the POS patch!

Seeing as I don't have one of those at home anymore (good riddance), I happily go off to my office to try it there, only to discover the dreaded Administrator-Only warning!

Can anyone, ANYONE, PLEASE help me figure out WTF this GD POS iPAQ PDA doesn't want to link to my Mac, before I ditch the entire POS package back to where I bought it (and God help them if they charge me a restocking fee! )?

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

ETA: It's times like this when I laugh at the "Macs are easier" selling point.
( Last edited by USNA91; Aug 19, 2006 at 12:21 PM. )

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Aug 19, 2006, 02:22 PM

The Macintosh's user interface is east to use and it just works. That is except when you use a clearly Windows only device made by HP and complain that it doesn't 'just work' with the Mac.
The silly part about this is in order to work you have to go backwards to rely on an older technology. You should have just bought a Palm and saved yourself money.

Download this

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2006, 02:33 PM

Palm doesn't have the voice recorder or on-screen keyboard, both of which I use a lot. Otherwise, I would have.

As for "just working", it bloody seems to work with other folks, so if someone would kindly point out what I need to do, I'd be most grateful.

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2006, 11:11 PM

FIXED IT!

I went to Circuit City (where I had gotten the PDA) and they let me get onto one of the PC's on the floor and download that HP patch into the PDA. Ran it, changed the USB mode to serial, and PRESTO, end of problem.

Wish I had tried Missing Sync ages ago. Much better than PocketMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules