Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > hi everyone new user help Please!!

hi everyone new user help Please!!
adjay1984
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2006, 10:14 AM

hi everyone, just got myself a new power book g4 1.5 ghz

now im only just learning macs but im not sure if it virus protection? is there some build in or do i need to purchase some?

second, when i press the update software button it says i am all up to date, is this true or is the some other updates, patches, firmware i need?

and thirdly! can i update the graphics card drivers on there own or does the mac do this all automaticly?

i am currently running osx version 10.4.8

cheers for your replys guys!

adjay1984  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2006, 10:19 AM

oh and also it has come with osx tiger sorry if these are stupid questions

adjay1984  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2006, 10:29 AM

oh sorry! one more im using safari as a web browser has this any advantage over internet explorer?

thanks again

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2006, 10:30 AM

it will update drivers itself...
i have had a Mac for a couple of years and never had virus software or issues...
normally all of the updates are there, mac is good like that...
but if there are any other system oriented updates then they will be there ini the update list...
extrenal apps though are a different story.
thoses you have to keep up on your own.
i use a program called mac update. pretty cool

adjay1984  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2006, 10:37 AM

ok thank you, are you saying that i dont need any virus protection software?

and would there be any benifits in updating graphics card driver seperatly? i always like to have the best graphics card driver possible

thanks

adjay1984  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2006, 10:57 AM

is osx the same as osx tiger?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2006, 11:19 AM

10.4.8 - The 10 means that it's version 10 of Apples operating systems, OS X, the 4 is OS X version 4 which is Tiger, the 8 is patch 8 for Tiger, 10.4

You don't need any virus software for the Macs as there are currently no known viruses in the wild, however, if you would like to scan your files before you pass them on to friends who are Windows users, you could use ClamXav ClamXav - The FREE Virus Scanner for Mac OS X

Graphics drivers are not something you need to update, I don't even think you can. They are updated when Apple releases new ones in an update.

Internet Explorer is poo. Microsoft stopped developing it years ago for the Mac platform, don't use it. Safari is the best browser but if you prefer you can use Firefox or some other browser.

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2006, 04:01 AM

adjay. Welcome to the mac community. The easiest to get use to and fall inlove with. Start using it daily. Don't worry about anything. You will get the hang of it soon and become an addict like all of us here. Looks like you are all set for surfing. Get a mouse preferably a wireless one and it will make your activity more fruitful. Worry more about phishing than virus. Safari takes some ajustment to get used to. Stick to it and you will not regret it. There is always fox if you like the PC style interface. Get some app for productivity. Watch movie. Present your work etc. ....don't worry be happy... Bobby McFerrin 1983
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2006, 04:14 AM

most virus protections will create more problems on the mac than they correct. it may be hard to comprehehend but for now just "forget about them". you didn't mention defragging but forget about that also. both sean and wubrew gave good advice.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

KidKit
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2006, 08:35 AM

Just to add on a little more, you can always check for software updates manually via the Apple menu accesible from the top left hand corner of your screen. You can also configure its automatic options via system preferences.

While most mac users pass on virus protection. You might still want to consider it and put up with the "hassle" to be a responsible citizen to your friends, colleagues and family members who might still be on PCs.

Meanwhile enjoy your new purchase!
mavafyipdq

paul_edmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 12:44 PM

Iv never bought any virus protection for my g4 powerbook, and its still working fingers crossed. The only time you may need some virus protection is if you work on a network with lots of windows users. Their os is so stupid it lets viruses in lol. The clamx that was mentioned earlier is good for scanning files and is a very effective piece of software.
HI

Forum Links
Forum Rules