Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Accessing my Work Mac from home

Accessing my Work Mac from home
platan0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2007, 06:34 PM

Here's my dilema.

I want to access my work Mac Pro from home on my Macbook Pro. Not like Apple Remote Desktop, just folder sharing.

i know the static IP address of both location, but at work i also have a local address for example 10.0.2.175 is the local address on the MP.

How would i go about instructing my MBP to look for my MP. i already have all the sharing options allowed on my systems preferences, just need to know the proper way to go about accessing the folders on my MP from home.

platan0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2007, 11:11 AM

anyone?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 28, 2007, 06:14 PM

It would be impossible to give you instructions without knowing a lot more information. For example, what sort of hardware is between the Internet and your work computer? More importantly, do you have formal permission to connect to your work computer from the outside? Getting that would be Step 1, and Step 2, how to get to the work computer from the outside, would probably be handled by your work IT folks. You're on an inside network, a LAN whose addresses are "non-routable", meaning that your work has been set up specifically to insulate it from the outside. You're probably going to need more than a few settings on your work Mac Pro to get into it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rjt1000
Senior User
Sep 29, 2007, 11:06 PM

This service looks like it could be helpful to you:

https://www.foldershare.com/info/aboutFoldershare.php?

It requires very little setup and you can try it free.

Of course, I would check with your I.T. folks first to make sure its acceptible to them.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2007, 03:25 AM

If your company's firewall has an open AFP port (which they probably don't), it's quite simple:
• on the work Mac make sure AFP is on (Sys Prefs > Sharing > Personal File Sharing On)
• on your home Mac: Finder > Connect to Server...
• enter afp://IP_of_work_Mac
• enter your user name and password (of the account on the work Mac)

If the AFP port (548) is closed (which it probably will be) it will still work, but you'll have to set up an ssh tunnel with something like
ssh username@IP_of_work_Mac -L9548:IP_of_work_Mac:548
and then in Finder > Connect to Server enter
afp://localhost:9548

Let us know if you need more details.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2007, 09:19 AM

I'll second the recommendation for FolderShare, assuming you have permission from manager/network ops/etc.

cms
Senior User
Sep 30, 2007, 11:09 AM

I like FolderShare, too, and find it very useful indeed. But I've long been troubled by a nagging concern over its security. If anyone hacked into your FolderShare account, they could then get access potentially to all your data. I know you can choose not to share everything but it worries me a bit that the only thing standing between me and some troll getting hold of my "stuff" is an email address and a password.

Forum Links
Forum Rules