Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook has a couple of issues

Powerbook has a couple of issues
guod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 06:04 PM

I just got my 12 powerbook and really like it BUT i have a few questions. My powerbook has airport extreme and for some reason i get a really weak signal when i try to connect to my wireless network. IT connects but is is a VERY weak signal sometimes dropping out...The other problem I have is the screen creaking every so often. For some reason my screen kind of creaks when I open the screen. I dont think it is major but is it related to my wireless problem?
Powerbook G4 w/ 12" 10.4.10

Big-J-Dubb
Oct 30, 2007, 06:37 PM

do a OS X combo update and you should fix problem ihad same thing happen to me on my 12' pb and it help my signal woes there you go and oh ya don't forget to repair permissions before and after combo update and boom your good son :-)

guod  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 09:42 PM

when i look at the updates that were installed it says I have the combination update PPC 10.4.10
( Last edited by guod; Oct 30, 2007 at 09:56 PM. )
Powerbook G4 w/ 12" 10.4.10

Big-J-Dubb
Oct 31, 2007, 03:10 AM

get the combo update from the downloads sections @ apple.com
and to repair permissions are in the disk utility app boom shocka shocka your welcome

rjt1000
Senior User
Oct 31, 2007, 11:20 AM

Metal skinned laptops like the PB have decreased wifi reception because the metal acts to shield the internal antenna. The Ti-books had the greatest problems but the Aluminum PB's and MBPs are also affected.
( Last edited by rjt1000; Oct 31, 2007 at 12:53 PM. )

cskoeshall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post
Metal skinned laptops like the PB have decreased wifi reception because the metal acts to shield the internal antenna. The Ti-books had the greatest problems but the Aluminum PB's and MBPs are also affected.
Very True. I have a PB Ti and the reception on it is horrible. However, the range on the new Airport Extreme Base Stations are amazing. Areas like my basement, where I had no bars, is now full bars. Apple made a great new wireless router which makes up for my dated Ti.

Forum Links
Forum Rules