Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Brother MFC-7440N laser printer

Brother MFC-7440N laser printer
macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2008, 10:27 PM

Does anyone have any experience / feedback for this printer? I need to get a printer that I can print, copy and scan with (fax is not important). I prefer laser for overall cost and do not need color. I need a multifunction because I have very little space for separate printer and scanner.

I have read some of the threads and noticed that some believe a multifunction is only mediocre at best. I guess if that is true, I need to be okay with it.

This printer is in my price range (<$250) from Newegg and has OK reviews. It is also Mac compatible. I am not a heavy printer user and likely will use the scan and copy functions as much, if not more than, the print function. I have been using a Samsung ML-1740 for three years with no problems except trying to find Mac drivers for it after installation. I just have a huge file (read "pile") that needs to be scanned and in some cases copied.

Thoughts / ideas?

Thanks.
macforray

Cold Warrior
Oct 4, 2008, 11:24 PM

An older thread that discussed Brother.

Also check out my post on the 7820N I have. Might want to consider that. If I had it to do over again I would have shelled out more for the similar HP model.

macforray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2008, 05:31 PM

Maybe because more people have them, but I have read a number of reviews about HP printers' software being "buggy" and difficult working with a Mac. I personally would prefer an HP, but I also need something that works well across my home network of Mac, Windows and Ubuntu in my price range. That is why I have narrowed it down to this printer. Unfortunately, the budget will only support a $250 limit. If I had more. I would buy more.

Thanks for your input. I had already searched and read the links you posted.
macforray

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2008, 06:10 PM

I recommend Lexmark.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rjt1000
Senior User
Oct 6, 2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
Does anyone have any experience / feedback for this printer? I need to get a printer that I can print, copy and scan with (fax is not important). I prefer laser for overall cost and do not need color. I need a multifunction because I have very little space for separate printer and scanner.

I have read some of the threads and noticed that some believe a multifunction is only mediocre at best. I guess if that is true, I need to be okay with it.

This printer is in my price range (<$250) from Newegg and has OK reviews. It is also Mac compatible. I am not a heavy printer user and likely will use the scan and copy functions as much, if not more than, the print function. I have been using a Samsung ML-1740 for three years with no problems except trying to find Mac drivers for it after installation. I just have a huge file (read "pile") that needs to be scanned and in some cases copied.

Thoughts / ideas?

Thanks.
I have used the Brother MFC 7820N and then the MFC 8660DN. Each was networked via my airport extreme base station. Printing, copying and faxing have all been flawless. Scanning is not a function I use. I upgraded from the 7820N to the 8660DN for the availability of duplex printing. Print quality is very good as would be expected from a laser printer. I purchased these at Costco because their 90 day no questions asked return policy lets you try and decide for yourself.

macforray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2008, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the input rjt.
macforray

Forum Links
Forum Rules