Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do 3rd party wiki sites destroy your browser?

Do 3rd party wiki sites destroy your browser?
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2011, 02:55 PM

Just a random general question. On my desktop at home and at work, loading something like the call of duty wiki or the star trek wiki (memory alpha) will cause beachballs of random (but usually long) lengths. Both computers are running 10.6 with Safari 5.

Yet, when I use my old MacBook, still on 10.5 (but I think with Safari 5) it runs with no issue (not a hesitation to be seen). Unfortunately I really can't draw a conclusion based on this little data, but assuming my experience isn't uncommon, I wonder what it is these sites are running that sucks so hard and why they'd do it if it affecting a chunk of people.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2011, 03:01 PM

Sounds like a Java issue.
I have issues at work where some people can't use ADP accounting because of recent Java updates, yet the old versions work just fine on older machines.

Then again, it sounds like it may be you. Perhaps some strange aura or some shit.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I wonder what it is these sites are running that sucks so hard and why they'd do it if it affecting a chunk of people.
I found that it's actually 10.6/Safari which sucks hard. The memory management on it seems to be crap.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I found that it's actually 10.6/Safari which sucks hard. The memory management on it seems to be crap.
I won't flat out disagree with you, but I will say these sites are the only ones I use regularly that I have issues with.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I won't flat out disagree with you, but I will say these sites are the only ones I use regularly that I have issues with.
Yep, I think it's just some sites (maybe with large loads or which load in a certain way) which tip it over the edge. The fact that you're not seeing this problem on 10.5 confirms it for me (plus, I'm running 5 on 10.6 and it beachballs for me a lot of the time - I think 10.6 just has really bad memory management).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2011, 03:58 PM

So, anyone on 10.7 wanna chip in?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2011, 04:05 PM

No beach balls for me on either.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2011, 05:00 PM

I'm running 10.7.2 on my Hackintosh and MacBook Air with Safari 5.1.1. I find performance on both to be utter crap. Beachballs all the time. I'm really getting frustrated with it. At first I thought it might have something to do with my Hackintosh build but seeing that my MBA has the same issues I think I can rule that out.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2011, 05:26 PM

I've seen Mediawiki sites cause Chrome to booze out, the only difference is that it booze out immediately rather than stalling like you are describing.

It could be something in the markup that is not conventional or at least is enough to throw Safari a curveball. You'd probably know if it was a Java applet doing this, I'm assuming that these are just normal pages w/o Java applets.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I'm running 10.7.2 on my Hackintosh and MacBook Air with Safari 5.1.1. I find performance on both to be utter crap. Beachballs all the time. I'm really getting frustrated with it. At first I thought it might have something to do with my Hackintosh build but seeing that my MBA has the same issues I think I can rule that out.
You're talking in general, right?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2011, 05:54 PM

Just screwed around on both sites for a while, ran butter smooth on 10.5/Safari 5.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2011, 05:56 PM

All I can think is I'll probably replace my MacBook next year and I'll have to start dealing with this shit. Not exactly encouraging.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2011, 07:01 PM

This wiki?

The Call of Duty Wiki - Modern Warfare, Black Ops, World at War and More!

Nothing unusual here, I don't know why Safari would choke. Have you tried disabling all of your extensions?

Chrome renders this site fine for me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2011, 08:34 PM

Tried that on my 2.3 GHz i7 13" MBP w/ 8GB RAM, 10.7, latest everything.

Runs smooth as silk.

Hit a bunch of random pages, scrolled, clicked around. It began to stagger ever so slightly occasionally after about twenty pages, but nothing annoying. Then hit a link to Iona - The Elder Scrolls Wiki which proceeded to run smooth as silk.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2011, 01:45 PM

Went home, double-checked on my desktop, didn't pick up on any problems, checked my extensions on both computers, came to work today, installed the adblock extension, no more beachballs. Mother****er.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2011, 01:51 PM

Hah.

FWIW, I do not have AdBlock installed, but I do run ghostery, Javascript Blacklist, and Click 2 Flash.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2011, 01:53 PM

I was already running click to flash and facebook blocker.

Forum Links
Forum Rules