Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Could someone visiting Macworld ask the SDK questions ?

Could someone visiting Macworld ask the SDK questions ?
miniphone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 11:56 AM

Hi,

Would someone in the San Francisco area be kind enough to ask Apple's engineers at Macworld some details about the SDK ?

I mean we still don't know for sure if this is going to be cocoa / Objective C based, or Java.

I was hoping that Steve would give more details yesterday, but he did not. NOTHING !

Just that it would be coming late february.

Why can't they give us specs so we can start coding ?

Please feel free to add your own questions in this thread, and maybe you'll get some help too.

Thanks.

miniphone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 01:08 PM

Isn't there anyone in the SF area nice enough to ask Apple engineers at Macworld more details about the SDK.

Thanks again.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 01:47 PM

I highly doubt anyone will give any answers about the SDK at this point. Apple is known for secrecy, as well as making people pay for leaking info. So even if the questions were asked I don't think you'd get any answers.

miniphone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 05:46 PM

Thanks for your answer ::maroma:: .
I am trying my luck here, I know.
But what's so secret about the SDK structure ?
I mean they have anouced it already. It's not as if we were asking what would look like the next cinema displays.
It would just give us a head start, that's all.
I really don't understand why they hold it so much.
I mean Steve didn't give details during his keynote, which is normal because this wasn't a developer conference.
But at least he could have given the green light to Phil or some engineers or product managers to give away details during MW08, so we could start coding.
They must be up to something, don't you think ?

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 06:14 PM

I have a feeling that Apple is going to hold a totally separate event in the coming weeks to announce the SDK and possibly updated iPhones (16GB version). If this is indeed the case, then Apple wants to keep as much information from leaking out as possible so that they have as much "wow!" impact as possible at the event. That on top of Apples strict policy about not talking about any product or service to the public before its released.

Just my opinion of course, but my gut tells me thats the reason we didn't hear anything about the SDK in the Keynote.

macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 06:41 PM

What exactly do we have to look forward to in SDK. Will this wipe out the need for WebApps?

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by macuser9909 View Post
What exactly do we have to look forward to in SDK. Will this wipe out the need for WebApps?
I'm assuming we can look forward to much more robust applications that web apps simply can't deliver. I'm sure there will still be web apps out there, but "real" apps will soon take the place of all those web apps out there.

I read something on Endgadget that said that IBM would be announcing Lotus Notes for iPhone as a true app later this month (presumably from the SDK). Personally I can't wait to see what people come up with when they have a real SDK to work with.

macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 10:22 PM

So as I saw on the Apple boards, majority of people believe that these apps will come at a cost, which is reasonable.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2008, 11:57 PM

I'm sure they want the SDK with emphasis on developing apps so that iPhone apps don't go down the windows road of virus, spyware and malware. The Mac has been good so far in not letting it get out of control, I think they want some control over that in the iPhone.

miniphone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 01:11 AM

If this is indeed the case, then Apple wants to keep as much information from leaking out as possible so that they have as much "wow!" impact as possible at the event.
Like many other developers, I have some "Wow" apps to offer as well. But I think you are right. They are going to hold a special event for this.
It is true that this is the way Apple has proceeded until now.
Let's just hope they won't disappoint us one more time like they did at the last WWDC with their web crap.
I want Cocoa Objective C based apps with access to core animation and open GL.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2008, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by macuser9909 View Post
So as I saw on the Apple boards, majority of people believe that these apps will come at a cost, which is reasonable.
Not reasonable if 3rd party developers don't want to charge for them, as many of the current 3rd party developers currently don't.

miniphone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 09:30 AM

Not reasonable if 3rd party developers don't want to charge for them, as many of the current 3rd party developers currently don't.
I know I will charge for my app. Not much but I will. When I see the energy spent on design, development testing, server download fees ... etc, I find it normal to charge for them.

All third party apps right now are made by developers who want to do a great work and show their skills on the coolest gadget in the world.

what better recognition of your work than having it in the pocket of thousands of people around the world ?

I respect that and thank those people for showing us the way, and I bet this will carry on, but there are still many of us out there who would like to make a buck or two with our work.

This is an interesting question raised by macuser9909 and Wiskedjak anyway:

How much would you be willing to spend on a cool app for your iPhone or iPod touch ?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by miniphone View Post
I know I will charge for my app. Not much but I will. When I see the energy spent on design, development testing, server download fees ... etc, I find it normal to charge for them.
Of course. I just want it to be the developer's decision, not Apple's. And, I certainly don't want Apple taking a cut.

IHow much would you be willing to spend on a cool app for your iPhone or iPod touch ?
Anywhere from $0 to $20. But, it'll hafta be damn amazing and unique for $20, because you know that there will be some damn amazing and unique apps for free.

miniphone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 03:18 PM

Anywhere from $0 to $20.
Sounds good to me. I was heading for $ 9.99, but like you said, even at this price it has to be really good and impressive.
That's brand recognition. Microsoft can release any sort of crapware and charge hell for it, they'll still find lots of customers.
But if you are not known, no mater how good your software is, you'll have to sell it cheap.
Let's hope I'll sell lots of them, but if I don't, I'll just be happy to have my software on the iPhone.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 03:28 PM

I think up to $20 is reasonable for most apps. Think of shareware apps that are similarly priced. Most of them aren't super duper great, but people feel that they are worth the cash. And I usually agree. Of course there are those that are way overpriced.

But apps that come from large companies like IBM (Lotus Notes) and possibly even Adobe will probably fetch a larger price tag. These will most likely be very robust and complicated (to program).

I'm hoping Apple comes up with a fair and consistent pricing structure for these apps. Maybe Apple can do it so that if the developer doesn't want to charge for his/her app, Apple can charge a very small fee for hosting and distributing the app to cover the bandwidth costs or whatever. I just want Apple to keep it fair and open to the developers, as well as not gouging us end users.

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2008, 10:58 PM

Isn't there anyone in the SF area nice enough to ask Apple engineers at Macworld more details about the SDK.

Thanks again.
There are very few Apple engineers present at MWSF. The vast majority of the people at the Apple booths are simply there to demonstrate a product, and often they don't even know it all that well.

And, Apple has a very strict privacy policy so even if they were there you wouldn't get them talking.

It is VERY different than WWDC, where all they do is talk about code!

miniphone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2008, 07:06 AM

I hear you. Like I said, I was trying my luck. And I'm not getting much at this time apart from the participation to my thread from you guys (to which I thank you).

In a thread I made a month ago or so, someone claiming to have had access to the SDK details was saying that we would get Cocoa, but couldn't give more details such as the limitations Apple would put to protect the iPhone from viruses.

I still think it would be nice if someone could give us more informations so we could get started as soon as possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules