Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Car! (again)

New Car! (again) (Page 2)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Nice cars Shaddim. I hope you get one for a good price at auction and then take us all for rides.
sdilley14: About a year ago I replaced my 1992 Camry with a 2004 Accord. I'm obviously happy driving a car that isn't 20 years old, but I still miss my Camry because of some of the small things.
Also, I am one of those people that is perfectly happy driving the most boring family sedans out there. Sure, I'd love a Tesla Model S, but I can't afford one. It isn't that I don't care about performance or looks, just that they are way down near the bottom of my priorities. Reliability, cost, and safety round out the top three.
Heh. I'm... still... waiting for my Tesla S, and I even put down a deposit. I'm about to just give up and ask for my money back.

The Aston and Alfa really call out to me, the Jag would be nice if I can get it for the right price. The T-bird I can find around here with relative ease, its interior is what blows me away. They're estimating $60-80k for it, but with mismatched numbers it's only worth around $45-50k. We'll see, I guess.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2012, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
I'm getting this in a few weeks - can't wait!

(It's a Volvo V40)
It is even nicer on the inside !!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2012, 03:21 AM

Get the DB4. Incredible.

The DB5 remains the nicest car I've ever seen in person - possibly because of the circumstances. This was late 90s, and I was sitting on a closed-off street outside the Windsor Arms Hotel in Toronto waiting for a construction job to start - this is one of the city's classic grand hotels, celebrities stay there, Jerry Seinfeld had just walked out a few minutes before, etc. etc. This silver car slowly rolls past me down the closed-off street, windows down; the guy inside can't be a day under 85. My jaw drops - completely immaculate DB5. He slowly creeps up to a 4-way stop a few feet in front of me, stops, and puts on his left blinker...and just sits there for about 20 seconds, not moving. It's only at that point I see the licence plate: MRJBOND. Then he slowly turned right, and rolled away.

Only time I've ever seen a DB5. Almost made me cry.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2012, 10:25 PM

Go to the can during an auction and your wife buys a car...

At least it was a cool one. http://www.goodingco.com/car/1987-aston-martin-v8-volante

Oh, and I got the 52 Jag custom , after the bidding had ended. Weird how that worked. It didn't sell, the guy bidding against me stalled well below the reserve, so I went to the back and made an offer and they took it. Neat.

The DB4 goes on the block tomorrow. After seeing it in person I'm stoked, stunning car.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2012, 05:22 PM

All this car talk makes me miss my old car.

I'm getting tired of driving a Tucson.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2012, 08:22 PM

Two lots purchased tonight, the awesome DB4 and a '72 Dino 246 GTS. Emma is trying to eat the paddle and entertaining the elderly couple in front of us. Great folks here tonight.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2012, 04:43 PM

Gooding and Co are just awesome. You buy it, they set everything up, and the cars get sent where you want. Zero hassles.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 20, 2012, 09:58 PM

I'm expecting to see those cars showing up in some Killboy shots now.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2012, 11:51 PM

Killboy?
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 21, 2012, 12:46 AM

The dude that photographs on US129.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2012, 08:22 PM

The guys delivering the cars are straight-up fantastic, they call me every day letting me know how things are and their progress. http://www.reliablecarriers.com/default.cfm
Serious question, if it all goes to plan and all is well when they get here, is it customary to tip the drivers/delivery guys? And if it is, how much?
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2012, 09:05 PM

I'm not sure this is the right place to ask whether or not you tip the dudes delivering a pile of desirable classic cars to your mansion. Maybe try forums.imafrickinmillionaire.com/f/

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2012, 10:34 PM

I don't live in a mansion, actually it's a big log home.

This place has gone in the crapper since Doofy took off, the people who are left are too uptight for civil conversation.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2012, 02:07 AM

Dude, speaking of uptight...

Honestly, why the **** are you even asking? I'm not aware of any delivery guys that you don't tip, other than mailmen - and I tip them if I get a large, heavy piece of mail that they have to drap up my steps. Tip for good service, period. You're getting what looks to be hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cars delivered to your house; I'm sure you can spare a couple hundred bucks for the guys doing such an excellent job delivering them.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2012, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The guys delivering the cars are straight-up fantastic, they call me every day letting me know how things are and their progress. http://www.reliablecarriers.com/default.cfm
Serious question, if it all goes to plan and all is well when they get here, is it customary to tip the drivers/delivery guys? And if it is, how much?
I'm telling you. Go to lambopower.com for this question... I swear at least once a month someone has a conversation about their exotic getting delivered, who to use, what to tip etc etc... Plus this forum is seriously no holds bar about anything. I've been a member there longer than I have been here.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Dude, speaking of uptight...
Honestly, why the **** are you even asking? I'm not aware of any delivery guys that you don't tip, other than mailmen - and I tip them if I get a large, heavy piece of mail that they have to drap up my steps. Tip for good service, period. You're getting what looks to be hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cars delivered to your house; I'm sure you can spare a couple hundred bucks for the guys doing such an excellent job delivering them.
Some people get offended or policy doesn't allow it. I tried to tip the guys at the auction who did the final detail, before the cars were packed away for shipping, and they told me, "no thank you sir, we can't accept that". Sometimes it isn't good form.

Why the **** am I asking? Since when did MacNN become this hostile? Chill out for gods' sake. And they wonder why this forum is wasting away?
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2012, 08:42 AM

Some people get offended or policy doesn't allow it. I tried to tip the guys at the auction who did the final detail, before the cars were packed away for shipping, and they told me, "no thank you sir, we can't accept that". Sometimes it isn't good form.
Why the **** am I asking? Since when did MacNN become this hostile? Chill out for gods' sake. And they wonder why this forum is wasting away?
Playing devil's advocate here :

Some may think that even though the thread was titled New Car, in which the thread starter talks about a Camry, it isn't really good form to then come in and show that you have in fact bought several very expensive cars. Especially in the present economic climate.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2012, 09:04 AM

Playing the other side of the devil's advocate here:

I'm not one of those people. I love seeing nice cars and I love hearing that people are actually enjoying them. I am by far not wealthy -yet- and don't have an exotic car. Whether or not an Apple forum is the place to show off? Not sure...we are in the lounge, though. And the thread has definitely been de-railed from the OPs topic but who cares? What's that saying about arguing on the internet?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 23, 2012, 10:51 AM

Lounge threads wander around more than most.

Although those antique roadsters are not new cars, I enjoy the pictures too. Someone has to buy them, or the recycler will.

Shaddim, I hope you have insurance after those purchases. And haven't told too many people where you live.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2012, 05:26 PM

Oh yes, it's because the forum has gotten so much more hostile. That must be it. In actual fact it's at the least-hostile point in the past 10 or 11 years......but since you're playing butt-hurt, suddenly teh Villains are everywhere. Grow up.

srsly you just got a dream car collection

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2012, 06:55 PM

I don't live in a mansion, actually it's a big log home.
This place has gone in the crapper since Doofy took off, the people who are left are too uptight for civil conversation.
My apologies, my post was not meant to offend. Although I think it's strange that Doofy and "civil conversation" were mentioned together without "total lack of" somewhere in there.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Playing devil's advocate here :
Some may think that even though the thread was titled New Car, in which the thread starter talks about a Camry, it isn't really good form to then come in and show that you have in fact bought several very expensive cars. Especially in the present economic climate.
I live in one of the most depressed areas of the country and I don't catch flack from neighbors, or anyone. They see me out fueling the Gallardo and they stop and talk, because it does attract the most attention. I often let them sit in it and they rev the engine a little, sometimes if I have a few spare minutes I give them a ride around the block. It's called being neighborly.

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Playing the other side of the devil's advocate here:
I'm not one of those people. I love seeing nice cars and I love hearing that people are actually enjoying them. I am by far not wealthy -yet- and don't have an exotic car. Whether or not an Apple forum is the place to show off? Not sure...we are in the lounge, though. And the thread has definitely been de-railed from the OPs topic but who cares? What's that saying about arguing on the internet?
I love seeing them too, there's some beautiful Detroit muscle around these parts. I can't wait to get the T-Bird on the road, I guarantee it'll be a huge hit. The Dino was me being impulsive. I saw it after we arrived at the Concours and had to bid on it. All original, no accidents, no damage, no restoration needed, with the exception of the exhaust which was replaced with a Stebro high-flow system. She's a cherry.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Lounge threads wander around more than most.
Although those antique roadsters are not new cars, I enjoy the pictures too. Someone has to buy them, or the recycler will.
Shaddim, I hope you have insurance after those purchases. And haven't told too many people where you live.
I'm self-insured, I see no reason to give another company my cash when I can just setup an entity with a bond and do it myself. I still have the money, and the interest rolls over into a preservation trust. Win-win. People on the internet don't have my address. Well, a few do, like the a fore mentioned Doofy, but that's it.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2012, 07:39 PM

Oh yes, it's because the forum has gotten so much more hostile. That must be it. In actual fact it's at the least-hostile point in the past 10 or 11 years......but since you're playing butt-hurt, suddenly teh Villains are everywhere. Grow up.
I'm sure your parents taught you how to behave more appropriately in public, why don't you try it for a change?

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
My apologies, my post was not meant to offend. Although I think it's strange that Doofy and "civil conversation" were mentioned together without "total lack of" somewhere in there.
It's all good, no worries.

Doof was several things, one of them being quite a philanthropist, but uptight wasn't one of them. hehe
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2012, 05:59 AM

I'm sure your parents taught you how to behave more appropriately in public, why don't you try it for a change?
My parents don't have much money, but they taught me to tip generously anyone doing a labour job for me, and not to worry whether it was "bad form" if I'm offering to give someone else money when they're working hard for me and make a lot less than I do.

So excuse me if I'm annoyed that you just purchased at least a couple hundred thousand dollars (if not more) worth of new autos, are publicly praising the excellent service of the delivery company, and then wonder if you should give a hundred bucks to the guys who show up carefully driving the trucks, who likely make $60 grand a year. Get off your high horse, buddy - you've regularly said that you're generous with your money, so I think we can all assume that you're probably going to tip the delivery guys. I consider publicly musing on it about the same level as me publicly musing at what percentage I should tip the excellent waiter who served our $500 celebratory restaurant dinner last night - and to be honest, I expected that you have somewhat more class than that.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2012, 08:27 AM

My parents don't have much money, but they taught me to tip generously anyone doing a labour job for me, and not to worry whether it was "bad form" if I'm offering to give someone else money when they're working hard for me and make a lot less than I do.
So excuse me if I'm annoyed that you just purchased at least a couple hundred thousand dollars (if not more) worth of new autos, are publicly praising the excellent service of the delivery company, and then wonder if you should give a hundred bucks to the guys who show up carefully driving the trucks, who likely make $60 grand a year. Get off your high horse, buddy - you've regularly said that you're generous with your money, so I think we can all assume that you're probably going to tip the delivery guys. I consider publicly musing on it about the same level as me publicly musing at what percentage I should tip the excellent waiter who served our $500 celebratory restaurant dinner last night - and to be honest, I expected that you have somewhat more class than that.
C'mon, give it a try. Here, I'll give you an example:

"Man, I'm not sure about the delivery thing. Maybe call the company and see about their policy on that? Nice cars, though".

Then I reply: "Thanks. Yeah, I thought about that yesterday morning so I called the company. They said gratuities are fine. The truck arrived yesterday evening and we got everything unloaded into the garage, afterward I tipped them a grand. They told me that on the way here they delivered an $800k Merc 300SL to a guy in Arkansas and he didn't even offer them so much as a cold drink. Talk about a wanker. Anyway, we started all the cars and checked them out, everything was 100%, then we talked for over an hour. The older guy really liked the Jaguar, he's a collector and has an XK140 himself. The ladies are as excited as I am, which is a little bit of a shock. This morning they took the Aston V8 conv to our mechanic to get it checked out, because it's the only one that hadn't had a full inspection and servicing lately. So, basically, I have a bunch of new cars that I'm dying to drive, and I'm home babysitting Emma. That's typical. "

See? It's simple.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2012, 08:37 AM

Yeah, of course. Simply ignore what I said and pretend you're still the innocent babe here.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2012, 08:56 AM

Yeah, of course. Simply ignore what I said and pretend you're still the innocent babe here.
Well, you aren't leaving me very many options here. You're wanting to argue and I don't feel like it. Just relax, this place doesn't need to be a war zone 24/7.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2012, 09:04 AM

If by "argue" you mean "I've pointed out where you made a fool of yourself, and then subsequently you have acted innocent and/or as though you didn't make a fool of yourself and instead claimed that everyone else is the problem here" - then yes.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2012, 11:08 AM

Chill, man. Try eating more fibre. You're going to blow a valve if you keep that up. No one's made a fool of themselves, though you're getting close.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2012, 12:08 PM

Same story, huh? Everyone else is wildly out of control - you're the only sane one in the institution.

The simple fact is: no one needs more fibre or is blowing a valve. I simply called it stupid that you would see the need to publicly ask a "serious question" as to whether you should tip the drivers who are so excellently delivering your expensive classic cars. I feel that it's an embarrassing and moderately demeaning question that, using common sense, you should have known the answer to and never needed to ask. I compared it to someone publicly asking what percentage they should tip their excellent waiter - or even the Steve Buscemi conversation at the beginning of Reservoir Dogs; in other words, a question that doesn't have an answer that someone else could provide for you, and one that you yourself should know the answer to privately, based on your happines with the service provided.

Laminar made what I believe was a joke alluding to "millionaire" forums; you immediately started with the "woe is me, only the other rich guy who used to be around here understands" routine. Bullshit: stop playing that patsy game; stop slyly pretending that "my parents" haven't taught me well, or everyone else has been "brought up wrong"; you're the one who had a "serious question" about whether to tip the truck driver you're so happy with. In my view, it's your parents who should have taught you better.

And I pointed that out. Which you've continued to ignore, and pretend as if it weren't no thang to have asked a "serious question" about.

In my view: that's embarrassing. Continue on.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2012, 01:27 PM

You sure? I figured you're suffering from some sort of intestinal blockage and you're all backed up. Why else would you keep fuming and cussing about this sort of thing? Maybe it's your teeth? I broke a molar not too long ago and until I went to the dentist I was a real bear to deal with. Oh well, go get both ends checked out and maybe you'll feel better.

Edit: Woot! Girls are back, time for a drive. Ciao #2, don't wait up.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2012, 05:10 PM

Have never had a cavity in my life. Sorry.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2014, 12:22 AM

If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2014, 12:23 AM

Hey Shaddim - whadya do, win the lottery or something?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2014, 05:38 AM

I just had a couple of good ideas and sold them to the right people. Serious thread necro, BTW.
- Thomas Paine

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2014, 05:38 PM

Serious thread necro, BTW.
my apologies

Forum Links
Forum Rules