Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any effective "stay awake with lid closed" methods that work for Tiger?

Any effective "stay awake with lid closed" methods that work for Tiger?
bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 06:21 PM

So I've tried both Insomnia and Sleepless, and both let the computer run for ~3 mins before ApplePMU shuts the computer off. For reference, I'm talking about a 12" 1.5GHz PBG4 on 10.4.1.

Yes, I know that it's natively supported by hooking up a display and keyboard, and that some ferrous material covering the reed switch will also work, but there's got to be something on the software side to get it to work, don't you think?
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

ibook_steve
May 24, 2005, 07:02 PM

What's wrong with doing it the supported way? And why do you want to do this?

Steve

GlobalNomad
Senior User
May 24, 2005, 07:13 PM

You could....
Plug it up to a screen / keyboard...
Then just unplug it and it will still run (i'm pretty sure it will).
I wouldn't recommend it... could get to hot with the lid closed all the time

S|ntax
May 24, 2005, 08:23 PM

kismac has a software patch that will do it. not sure how different it is then the packages you tried but worth looking into.

bimmerphile  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 12:00 AM

ibook_steve: I work in a lab, and have my PB doing number-crunching overnight. The problem is, there has been a lot of theft (thank you custodial staff), and so I have been closing the computer in a locking cabinet overnight and leaving it. The cabinets are ventilated, so overheating is not an issue. That cabinet has since been occupied with something else, and so I am going to need to place the computer in a locking drawer (also well ventilated). Why not lock the unit up with a cable lock you ask? Simple: Other laptops have been stolen because those cables have been cut. It's not a deterrent. Only out-of-sight is. For that reason, I can't hook it up to a keyboard and monitor - there's none nearby, and that's not the purpose anyway.

S|ntax: Kismac installs the same .kext as Insomnia as it is made by the same developer. Thus, the PB shuts off after ~3 minutes

ibook_steve
May 25, 2005, 12:53 AM

Well that's certainly a new one! I guess the obvious questions then would be:

1) This is a portable computer. Any chance you can bring the machine home at night if this is such important number crunching?

2) Why are you using Apple's slowest Powerbook to do heavy number crunching? Any desktop machine would fit the bill, process faster, and be much more difficult to steal. It must be a money issue, but you could have gotten a decent G5 iMac for the price of the Powerbook.

Just curious...

Steve

P.S. If you really want to do this, then your only real option is to take the lid off the top case and remove the magnet. It's not as difficult a task as removing the reed switch in the bottom case. Check out http://www.pbfixit.com for a guide.

lilrabbit129
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 04:09 AM

You only need to hook up a mouse for it to run in clamshell mode. A small mouse plugged in to wake it up after its closed will do the job. Afterwards just remove the mouse and it will stay on, as long as the computer is not set to automatically sleep.

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 07:51 AM

You want the PB to do some number-crunching in clamshell mode in a locked drawer all night?

That has to be one well ventilated drawer. Its a 12" and bound to get hotter than a 15" or 17" because of its size. It will be running CPU intensive program with the lid closed in a drawer. Sounds surreal. I'd say don't do it, or take it home as suggested.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

bimmerphile  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 12:16 PM

Thanks for all your replies. ibook_steve, check your pm's.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 12:29 PM

Why not just get a Mac mini and let it run all of the time? And wouldn't have a PowerBook with a cord attached to a locked locker catch some eyes?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

bimmerphile  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 01:38 PM

Randman: because I'm a college student :-)

The drawer is a metal cage, and cannot be broken into without some serious damage, and time.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 06:48 PM

Let me guess, this powerbook is running FAH…

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
May 25, 2005, 06:55 PM

Are you sure that the PB isn't going to sleep because you have set the energy saver settings to put the computer to sleep after 3 minutes. Just because you have installed something to allow the computer to stay awake with the lid closed doesn't mean it won't obey its energy saver settings. Just guessing...

--sam

giggs11
Forum Regular
May 26, 2005, 12:09 AM

Well, the energy saver settings can be set to never sleep, though only when the lid is open. Obviously you'll also need that software tweak.

If I were you, I'd give it a trial run to make sure you don't have issues with it overheating. It *should* be fine, since PBs are designed to be able to run with the lid closed. But it'd be an expensive risk to take if you were wrong.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
May 26, 2005, 09:46 AM

When I was playing music for a party, I put my laptop in a drawer and locked it and controled it with my phone.

You only need to put a pen lid on the palm rest to keep the lid ever so slightly open for it not to go to sleep.
Much better than taking the magnet out or using some software hack.

Forum Links
Forum Rules