Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > .Mac trial membership - Can I synch POP accts across Macs?

.Mac trial membership - Can I synch POP accts across Macs?
Keda
Senior User
Jan 20, 2006, 09:21 AM

I have been using my 12"PB as my main Mac, but have just purchased a 20" iMac and would like to use it as my 'home base.' The .Mac package seems pretty cool, but can I synch my POP accts, which are on my PB?

I have my .Mac system prefs set to synch mail, but it seems to only be working on the .Mac mail. Is there a trick to this?

TIA

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 09:28 AM

Trial or not, you can't sync POP mail.

OreoCookie
Jan 20, 2006, 11:26 AM

Actually you can kinda sync mails for free. Use the following configuration on both Macs:

1. Check the box `Leave messages on server for xx days.' 14 days should be long enough, well, just think of the longest period of time you don't check e-mails on one machine, but on the other (e. g. during a business trip).

2. In the Mail Prefs, there is an option `always send a cc/bcc copy to myself' in the Create tab. Check it.

3. Create a rule so that these e-mails by yourself are marked read and moved to an appropriate folder in Mail.

4. There is no step 4.

Obviously this will not sync your Address Book or anything else, but it will sync your Mails alright.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

gunga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2006, 08:09 PM

Not sure if the following is what you're after but I thought I'd point it out just in case.

Online, if you login to your .Mac account and select 'Preferences' under Mail, you'll get options for 'Check other POP email'. Input all the correct server, username and password details and select "Get Other Mail' and all the server side email in your pop3 account will be imported to the .Mac folder you specify.

As far as I can tell, this is a manual operation and you'd need to login each time you wanted to check your POP3 email. Once in your .Mac folder (you could cretae one for POP3), the Mail 2.0 app will pick them up. If you select 'Leave Messgages on Server' you are kinda synching your POP3 account with your .Mac registered machines... I think.

new newton
Banned
Jan 23, 2006, 03:05 AM

What OC suggested doesn't really sync the systems, strictly speaking. You'll still have to mark the messages as read by hand on the second machine you check. I've been doing this for years, and for the most part it works pretty well.

There are two main problems to be aware of. The first is that you've got a disk quota on your POP server. When it's full, you may not get new e-mail. If you get a lot of mail, you'll fill your quota quickly. I couldn't use 14 days. I have to use something like 7.

The other problem is junk mail filtering. Mail does a fine job usually, but .Mac for some reason doesn't sync the junkmail databases between machines. That blows, because each Mac will handle junk mail slightly differently. As a result, you've got to be aware of the differences between the different Macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules