Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The FIFA World Cup 2006

The FIFA World Cup 2006 (Page 2)
von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by nath
Been looking at my match planner this morning and it doesn't seem possible to pick a configuration where Iran would meet the US...that would have been interesting!

BBC have a cool little webpage where you can fill out your prediction for the path to the final. Here's mine, completed before the first games yesterday. Be interested to see other people's predictions (particularly VW's idea of who's going to knock England out!)

Got the Germany/Costa Rica goal ratio right but looks like Poland might be in trouble already...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/spl...10011001100100
My results (with the two games finished put correctly in:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/spl...10101010011001

disclaimer: This is based on having Crouching Tiger, Hidden Robot in the team. If SGE drops him I can't see England get past Portugal.
( Last edited by von Wrangell; Jun 10, 2006 at 07:25 AM. )

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

tae667
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 07:21 AM

Sverige!

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 12:48 PM

Go Trinidad & Tobago!

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 01:54 PM

Wow great game. Hislop... damn.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2006, 01:58 PM

I don't understand why Trinidad & Tobago won even though score is 0 - 0? I thought they have to do penalty shootouts or extended time.

nath
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
My results (with the two games finished put correctly in:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/spl...10101010011001

disclaimer: This is based on having Crouching Tiger, Hidden Robot in the team. If SGE drops him I can't see England get past Portugal.
That would be a great final. Obviously not one I want to see...depends on whether England decide to stick with their first half performance against Paraguay, or their second...

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts
I don't understand why Trinidad & Tobago won even though score is 0 - 0? I thought they have to do penalty shootouts or extended time.
They didn't really win the game (it was more of a 'moral' victory than anything else).

Preliminary matches don't necessarily need a winner, - the k.o. round starts after the group stage (1/8 final).

BTW, - Germany w00t! Best performance so far. I was disappointed with England (and Sweden). I hope they pick up the pace in the next two games. I'd hate to see those two getting 'kicked out' early.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
They didn't really win the game (it was more of a 'moral' victory than anything else).

Preliminary matches don't necessarily need a winner, - the k.o. round starts after the group stage (1/8 final).
Ah ok. Sweden played rather poorly today. I thought it would be a sure win but apparently not.

Hash
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 02:53 PM

England has to improve its attack and Gerrard with Lampard did not much threaten goal, only occasionally. Cole was slow. Crouch was so so, and Owen simply out of form. Downing is fast but needs to polish his technique.

T&T GOGOGO!!! Hislop the MAN!!

Germany even without Ballack was quite convincing. Paraguya - real lack of imagination. How they were gonna score?

Gonna watch Drogba beat Messi this time. oh Sweet revenge!!

Hash
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 02:54 PM

Tomorrow one more day of football. Oh how I like Sundays!!! Viva soccer!!

Hash
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 02:55 PM

Ole Ole Ole!! We are the champions and Chelsea will be the king of Champions league in 2007!

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2006, 04:26 PM

I think Crouch was playing reasonably well, but that the ref was making a series of poor judgements. He was calling Crouch for nearly every header, and many of them were questionable calls.
I think the ref ruined the flow of the game, I hope I don't see him reffing the knock out stage.

oh, and good for T&T, and boo to Argentina for being diving wimps.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 09:41 PM

I'm just learning about football for the first time. My bet is on Brazil, especially with Ronaldinho. The guy is incredible.

Can anyone point me to a site to learn more about the game?

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2006, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by alligator
I'm just learning about football for the first time. My bet is on Brazil, especially with Ronaldinho. The guy is incredible.

Can anyone point me to a site to learn more about the game?
type it into Wikipedia and just start following links. There's everything from history to rules to specific teams.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2006, 11:38 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2006, 11:56 AM

Order The History of Football - The Beautiful Game. I loved it, and it helped me understand more of the history of the game. The '98 Cup is what brought me into soccer/football.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2006, 12:41 PM

Ahhhh, the Dutch! Damn!

And to all you uninformed kids who were complaining about the difficulty of [insert group here] in those early threads! C clearly makes you all look foolish.....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 04:33 PM

For those wha have not seen it yet, the Adidas commercial. Well done. Funny to see Beckenbauer and Platini included.

http://www.adidas.com/campaigns/vert...eteampart2.xml (enter the site then click of the kid whi kicks the ball).

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 09:50 PM

Predicted all three correct today. Not the scores, just the winners. Woo hoo.

Hash
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 10:39 PM

Today Japan replays World War 2 with Australia

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Jun 12, 2006, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hash
Today Japan replays World War 2 with Australia
Oh its on mate, its on!

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 10:47 AM

US game starts in a few hours and I have no way to watch it (stuck at work)! ESPN 360 is ISP specific, and BBC seems to know I'm not in the UK.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 11:25 AM

And now for hopefully the first real thrashing of the competition!

Go Czechs!!!

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 12:51 PM

Czechs up by 2 at the half

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 12:56 PM

Looking good!

Czechs winning although Baros isn't fit yet and sadly they have now lost Koller.

Nedved and Grygera to add two goals to the tally would be fine.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2006, 01:34 PM

3-0 it's over for sure. Czech is simply too good

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 01:58 PM

Now, next game: Italy vs. Ghana.

Lets hope Ghana causes an upset by winning these cheating Italians. The earlier they get sent back home to Italy the sooner they can start focusing on cleaning up their FA.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2006, 01:59 PM

Gee, and I thought this was a soccer tournament, Logic

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2006, 02:13 PM

Simply beautiful soccer by the Czech team. I really loved watching them play. I think we may have seen the emergence of a new star too, Rucisnsky (spl?). Arsenal fans must be drooling.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
Gee, and I thought this was a soccer tournament, Logic
IT'S FOOTBALL, NOT SOCCER!!!!

A whole month of great football. What more can you ask for?

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by spectre
Simply beautiful soccer by the Czech team. I really loved watching them play. I think we may have seen the emergence of a new star too, Rucisnsky (spl?). Arsenal fans must be drooling.
The Czech team is one of the best. The scary thing is that it looked like they never got out of 2nd gear in this game. There's a lot more to come from them. They love to back off the opponent soaking up the pressure and then punish them with very fast counter attacks. They've got that tactic down to perfection.

And yes, Rosicky is a great player. Just such a shame he's going to the Gooners (Arsenal). Him playing behind Henry is a bit scary for those who support the other teams in the Premier league. Although Arsenal still have to find a replacement for Viera. It's simply impossible to only play players like Rosicky, Fabregas, Ljungberg et al. You need a tough tackling defensive midfielder to allow the before mentioned players to do their stuff.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
IT'S FOOTBALL, NOT SOCCER!!!!
Sure

Anyway it's been enjoyable so far. This is the first time in a while I haven't really had a favorite team to root for, which is probably good news for all the teams because my favorites usually don't make it out of the opening round.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 03:20 PM

Hate that the U.S. got trampled, but still hoping for good showings from England and Brazil, the former being all but guaranteed, as usual.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 03:52 PM

Well there's still Italy to be played this Saturday.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 04:44 PM

Sure
No sure about it, merely is.

Anyway, apart from that there've been some damn good games already. England were shocking - if only they could play to their ability people would be actively worried.

Ghana have looked interesting tonight - think they might well beat USA. Italy have started well, and though the Ghanians tackle very hard, the Italians fall very gently. Then roll. And roll again.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Well there's still Italy to be played this Saturday.
I'm hoping it's not ugly. If they can pull off a miracle win, then beat Ghana, I'll celebrate appropriately. I'm just not going to get my hopes up.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
I'm hoping it's not ugly. If they can pull off a miracle win, then beat Ghana, I'll celebrate appropriately. I'm just not going to get my hopes up.
I'd love it but realistically... you know. Even if we get outta this round alive, guess who we'll have to face right off the bat: Brazil.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2006, 04:50 AM

Italy ftw

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2006, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
I'd love it but realistically... you know. Even if we get outta this round alive, guess who we'll have to face right off the bat: Brazil.
I'm afraid the US won't get out of their group. Just don't have the players for it.

Prepare for finishing last in the group with 0 points.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2006, 05:34 AM

Sure

Anyway it's been enjoyable so far. This is the first time in a while I haven't really had a favorite team to root for, which is probably good news for all the teams because my favorites usually don't make it out of the opening round.

Sort of the same here. Since Iceland will never make it to the WC I just pick a few other countries to "support". They usually don't get out of the groupstage or are really disappointing in the knock out stages. This time that means England, Sweden and Spain will disappoint.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2006, 08:53 AM

Games today:

Korea vs. Togo
France vs. Switzerland
Brazil vs. Croatia

Predictions:

Kor vs. Tog 1-2 (Adebayor with at least one goal)
France vs. Swi 3-1 (Swi to score first)
Bra vs. Cro 0-1 (Croatia to shock the world)

I'm probably wrong on all though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2006, 10:53 AM

Croatia will shock no one. C'mon now. Thanks for trying to make it interesting though.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2006, 02:19 PM

France's game was disappointing. Lots of foul and injuries.

Brazil game in 40 min, can't wait

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2006, 02:22 PM

Yeah the France game was a snooze fest for sure. Looks like there are way too many egos on that France team these days. There is no good reason why they shouldn't have shut out the Swiss team.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2006, 09:49 AM

I well and truly suck at predictions.

But lets try again:

Spain to add 1 goal in the second half (posted at halftime)
Saudi Arabia to win against Tunis 2-1
Germany to draw with Poland 0-0

Will I have three wrong again? I'm absolutely sure of it!

Monique
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2006, 10:41 AM

Why is it every four years? And is soccer as violent on the fields let's see like hockey?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Monique
Why is it every four years? And is soccer as violent on the fields let's see like hockey?
To be honest, I'm not really sure why it's every four years. I'm glad it is though. Four years of anticipation makes it 4x of a bigger deal. The pageantry of World Cup soccer is unrivaled due partially to the fact that it doesn't happen every year, or even every other year.

It can be violent at times, but not in the same way as hockey. I'd say soccer is less dangerous that hockey or American football, but more dangerous than basketball.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2006, 11:48 AM

The event is probably too large and expensive to be organized every year.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2006, 02:27 PM

Less than 4 years will devalue the accomplishments of the champions. We have European Championship that alters with the World Cup so there’s always a big soccer event every two years.

There's a proposal to change from 4 years to 2 years. Doubt it will pass though.
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200606/s1655785.htm

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2006, 03:07 PM

I see it like the Oylimpics, also every 4 years.

It must be a challenge and a half to organize something like this on a global scale. I know South Africa has it for 2010 and they probably had to start organizing the day after they won the bid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules