Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > WTB: 12" powerbook that will run Tiger

WTB: 12" powerbook that will run Tiger
akwarner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 04:33 PM

Hi all. I recently got my hands on a Bondi Blue 266 from circa 1998. It has 10.2 on it and I took the RAM to 160MB and put a 20GB hard disk in it. I've been playing with OS X and I like it. I am a longtime DOS/Windows user and haven't really ventured into Mac territory before. I've wanted to learn more about them for some time but never got around to it. However the time has come. My little introduction has intrigued me and I want a "real" unit that I can really play with. I picked up Tiger but it is on a DVD and I'm unable to install it from an external USB drive like I planned. Oh well. So I must get some more recent hardware to run it on. I think I am looking for the following:

Powerbook or ibook (not quite sure of the differences) G3
12.x" LCD (seems to be the smallest and cheapest)
256MB RAM (I will upgrade this with another 256MB or 512MB)
no HD needed since I have a 2.5" 60GB from an HP laptop waiting to be installed
Wi-Fi
DVD drive (must be internal I think to install Tiger)
no OS needed since I already have the Tiger DVD waiting to be installed
battery / AC adapter

I think that is all that I need but would be very open to guidance from the experienced Mac users as to what else I should be sure to get.

I'm looking to spend hopefully no more than $450 to 500 shipped. Please let me know what you might have to offer for sale. I'm hoping that folks will be upgrading to Intel Macs and looking to sell off their older units. Thanks very much.

A.
( Last edited by akwarner; Feb 21, 2006 at 09:49 PM. )

akwarner  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2006, 11:07 AM

I picked one up from a fellow forum user. Thanks.

A.
( Last edited by akwarner; Feb 17, 2006 at 04:33 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules