Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSight and Windows

iSight and Windows
AshUK
Jul 2, 2003, 02:49 PM

I was just wondering if iSight worked with Windows since I use both my PB and a Windows PC?

Anyone tried plugging one into a PC?

palmberg
Senior User
Jul 2, 2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by AshUK:
It should work with any software that recognizes the camera, right, regardless of platform? Isn't the point of the iSight that it uses open standards for its video interface? Wait, maybe that means it *won't* work with windows.

jaxxe
Jul 5, 2003, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by AshUK:
I was just wondering if iSight worked with Windows since I use both my PB and a Windows PC?

Yeah, no reason it shouldn't work with Windows... from a marketing perspective it seems the smart thing to do.
Apple is bringing 'em in through peripherals, and this is something Windows users would snap up in a jiffy.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2003, 03:02 AM

I dunno. Isn't this from the same Apple computer that creates software that uses industry-standard protocals yet still require .Mac accounts?
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

ensure
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2003, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
I dunno. Isn't this from the same Apple computer that creates software that uses industry-standard protocals yet still require .Mac accounts?
Just got two iSight this afternoon. I've attached one to XP for testing purpose. Unfortunately, there is no driver for iSight so far. I've read some posts that claim it's somewhat working with generic 1394 camera driver. However, the quality is not good. Hopefully, Apple will release driver for windows soon. Just like iPod, Apple should make it cross platform to attract more buyers.

mc786030
Jul 5, 2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by ensure:
Just got two iSight this afternoon. I've attached one to XP for testing purpose. Unfortunately, there is no driver for iSight so far. I've read some posts that claim it's somewhat working with generic 1394 camera driver. However, the quality is not good. Hopefully, Apple will release driver for windows soon. Just like iPod, Apple should make it cross platform to attract more buyers.
I don't think many PC users will shell out $150 for a webcam when a Logitech one costs $20. Just my 2 cents.

todrain
Senior User
Jul 5, 2003, 09:28 AM

Apple won't make Windows Drivers... they want people who want an an iSight to buy a Mac.

I can't tell you how many more LCD displays Apple could sell if they would support windows. (sure you can plug them in, but none of the controls work)

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 5, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by todrain:
Apple won't make Windows Drivers... they want people who want an an iSight to buy a Mac.
Apple made the iPod compatible with Windows. Why wouldn't they do the same with the iSight (even if it is an overpriced webcam)?

I can't tell you how many more LCD displays Apple could sell if they would support windows. (sure you can plug them in, but none of the controls work)
I don't think they would sell that many more. First of all, the monitor wouldn't match any PC cases (which seems like a big reason for people purchasing Apple displays.) They are also Apple priced, and there are better monitors priced cheaper from other vendors.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Steve:
Apple made the iPod compatible with Windows. Why wouldn't they do the same with the iSight (even if it is an overpriced webcam)?

I don't think they would sell that many more. First of all, the monitor wouldn't match any PC cases (which seems like a big reason for people purchasing Apple displays.) They are also Apple priced, and there are better monitors priced cheaper from other vendors.

Apple didn't create the iSight to sell as a web-cam, but as a video-conferencing solution specifically for use with iChat AV. As there is no iChat AV for Windows (or a windows product that uses the standard SIP protocols for conferencing like iChat AV), why would apple release it for windows. Doesn't seem like it would increase sales very much.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

todrain
Senior User
Jul 6, 2003, 01:42 AM

I think the iSight is not only there to get the $150, but more importantly to sell more copies of Panther... otherwise they would have offered a free copy of iChat AV. (sure you can buy it for $30, but iSight owners on the fence will most likely Upgrade)

The iPod is a totally different device. While the iSight is a great Web Camera, it's not bringing anything that others don't have... the iPod was a revolution for music, and a way to get Windows to switch to Mac. Windows Drivers for iSight won't do that.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2003, 09:12 AM

Comparing an iSight web camera with a $30 Logitech or whatever, isnt really a valid argument. As I understand it, the iSight is the worlds only web camera with AutoFocus. Plus it's firewire rather than USB.
You get what you pay for..

As for PC support, if it comes at all, it will come later, Just so Apple can rub it in a bit and show PC users what they are missing
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by todrain:

Actually, the local CompUSA has a PC running two Apple Cinema Displays, and a sign instructing the buyer to ask a salesman about Apple displays on PCs.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 12:46 AM

Wouldn't it make sense for Apple to release iChat for Windows to sell iSights (a la iPod) or to make it work with the AIM client (which works in iChat)?

Why not sell more iSights? I loooove mine and the more, the better.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 7, 2003, 12:33 PM

You act as if Apple actually has control over whether iSight works with AIM or not. I'm fairly certain that they don't and they would have to plead with AOL to do it. Frankly I don't even see the need. It doesn't support Windows and on a Mac you can just use iChat. What Apple really needs from AOL is SIP support so that people with AIM (and ICQ eventually) will be able to use any webcam they want on any platform. You also assume that Apple used standards to build the iSight. I believe you misunderstood Jobs. He said iChat uses open standards, not iSight. It very well could be that the only thing non-proprietary about the iSight could be the Firewire support. Notice that people reported that iSight only worked with other messaging clients (such as Yahoo) after they installed iChat AV. If it was built on open standards wouldn't it work right out of the box without installing anything?

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 03:50 PM

I want to get an iSight really bad but as of now there are only 4 out of the 27 people on my buddy list who I can utilize it with. I hope Apple is working with AOL to allow iChat AV/iSight to work with AOL's Client...otherwise $150.00 is just too much to video conference with just four people who actually live in the same town as I do!

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 03:55 PM

I'd also like to add that Apple REALLY needs to be bundling iChat AV WITH iSight...why don't they?? It could be because it's still in beta and that would be understandable but when it's out of beta it really should be included. Also, if AOL and Apple work together to get this thing going on windows they should include a copy of the AOL Client that will allow iChat AV to video conference with the AOL Client. Kinda like how MusicMatch is included with the iPod.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 7, 2003, 04:31 PM

Well, since the iSight requires a broadband connection I think it's safe to assume that it's not a very big deal to require you download it on your own. Later iChat AV will be included with Panther, so the point will be moot. However, I think you do have an argument for saying that everyone who buys an iSight should get a free upgrade to the Jaguar version of iChat AV at the end of the year. Maybe they figure they can get away with it because most people won't mind paying $30 six months from now (or $130 if you upgrade to Panther).

Forum Links
Forum Rules