Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > help, can i install 9 over x?

help, can i install 9 over x?
riggz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2002, 04:55 PM

hi all, i think i made a big booboo here, but i'm not sure how to fix it.
i did a clean install of 10, then 10.1 on my ibook2. i was thinking i could install os 9 afterwards, but i cannot no matter which way i try ( i have 9.1 cd and 9.2.1 upgrade cd). if i boot by pressing c with the 9.1 cd, it gets a system error, and says to restart.

do i need to somehow need to create a partition out of my free space while im in x? sorry im from the pc world and this is my first mac. or will i need to totally reinstall x somehow?

thanks!

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2002, 06:52 PM

I don't think you can install OS 9 over OS X. You may have to start over, install OS 9.1 then OS X. That is the correct way. You can either do this on one partition or put the two OS's on two separate partitions which is probably the best way. I have found that having them on separate partitions it makes it possible to use Utility programs such as Nortons. That is what I have read anyway.

Someone back me up on this.

rhino_g3

Scrod
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 06:59 PM

1. There is absolutely no need to put OS 9 and OS X on separate partitions. They use the same file system. If you're using at least Norton Utilities 6.0 you will have no problems whatsoever.

2. It doesn't make sense to say "install OS 9 over OS X". They don't share any files OR folders. Thus it shouldn't make any difference at all in which order you install them.
I abused my signature until she cried.

Forum Links
Forum Rules