Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The OmniWeb 5 Public Beta thread.

The OmniWeb 5 Public Beta thread. (Page 12)
F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 07:50 AM

I wish they did that too...

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2004, 04:03 PM

The substring matching is too much for that kind of search, in my opinion. If you can't see the link, or you don't know precisely what it is, or even what it starts out with, just do an apple F and type in your substring and hit apple G a couple times if you don't get it on your first try.

The quick /(string) search would be handy though.
~BS

GeeYouEye
May 2, 2004, 05:23 PM

The one thing I'd still like to see is the option to put the tab drawer on the bottom instead of the sides. Oh, and there's some issues with the tables in some vBulletin forums, when making a new post, where the smilies table isn't bounded by anything, even the edge of the page.
I bring order to chaos. You are in chaos windows, you are the contradiction, a bug wishing to be an OS.

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 09:20 PM

I want a single window mode, all windows, inc. pop ups that you want open in a new tab... Like Opera 7.50.

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by F_Elz:
I want a single window mode, all windows, inc. pop ups that you want open in a new tab... Like Opera 7.50.
I also would love to have this in OmniWeb. You might see it in some (post-5.0) release, if we get around to it
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
I also would love to have this in OmniWeb. You might see it in some (post-5.0) release, if we get around to it
no no no! You got your post all wrong. It is supposed to read "Beta 6 is up "

See? Not that is cool, might get to it, new beta.
( Last edited by juanvaldes; May 3, 2004 at 09:08 PM. )
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 10:40 PM

Might be out soon, or on Wednesday? The beta expires that day...methinks...

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 05:59 AM

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 06:06 AM

Beta 6 is out.

Release notes

Amorya
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 06:47 AM

Is the 30 day demo going to apply to all the releases now?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 06:57 AM

Only 10 or so minutes on it now but...

- Seems faster. Pages rendering, scrolling. All good.
- UBER-Cache seems to have backed off. Works on places I had problems before.

Overall, this is very close to done. I will try to go exclusive with OW for a while and see.

BZ

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 08:57 AM

Yup, text rendering like here on the MacNN forum is noticeably FASTER, and I'm on dial-up!

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 09:16 AM

Has anyone had an issue with losing their license with the upgrade? I downloaded beta 6 at home this morning before work and all of a sudden my education license from OW 4.5 (dated January 2, 2004) stopped working. I sent off an email, but this sucks. I hope it's an "issue" because I'd feel a little ripped off if I had to buy a new license. I have great faith in Omni, but it is a little disconcerting nonetheless.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 10:06 AM

Never mind. This morning Omni didn't have any info on the release page, but now it appears that beta 6 runs without license codes.

A license file is no longer built-in to the application and this release of OmniWeb runs in demo mode. The demo period will be reset with the next release of OmniWeb. See the release notes for more information.
A little annoying if you ask me. I hope there's a new beta soon that fixes this -- or the final.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 11:56 AM

I'm liking the new text renderer in beta 6. When loading forum pages on my AlBook it sits for a bit waiting for a response, but once it gets the response... instarender

<edit> Actually, the "awaiting document" thing seems a good deal longer now, not sure why. Could just be my school's weird connection. OTOH, cocoadev.com is amazingly quick </edit>
( Last edited by Catfish_Man; May 4, 2004 at 12:02 PM. )

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 12:02 PM

You're are going to have to pay an upgrade fee for a version 5 licence once it reaches final, so you will be getting a new licence anyway. The purpose of the beta is to test new features, and this demo version is one of the new features, so... we're here to test it.

proton
Senior User
May 4, 2004, 12:56 PM

The initial release of OmniWeb 5.0 beta 6 didn't have the expiry date updated, so it will refuse to run from the 5th of May. The version that is currently available is beta 6.1, which seems to have this fixed.

- proton

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 02:49 PM

I downloaded beta 6.1 and it still won't take my license. I read through the release notes, too, and it still doesn't make much sense. Why is Omni doing this? My license should be valid for version 4 and 5. Is there a new licensing method? Tim? Rick?

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 03:04 PM

From the release notes:

# OmniWeb now runs in Unlicensed/Demo mode

* When unlicensed OmniWeb runs in Demo mode which means
o You can launch OmniWeb on 30 different days before the demo expires. Days on which you do not launch OmniWeb are not counted.
+ If you launch OmniWeb on Monday, and then not again until Wednesday, that counts as only 2 days. A day is counted only the first time you launch OmniWeb on a given day.
o Once the demo expires, you are limited to pages at omnigroup.com. Other domains will not load.
o The demo period resets with each new version of OmniWeb.
o The Unlicensed Start Page has been updated with the number of demo days left, further changes to this page are forthcoming.
o You can't set your start page preference to anything other than the default.
* An Unregistered dialog appears on application start, and another dialog appears on quit once per week for the first 3 weeks of the demo period. During the last week, they appear on the first launch for each day, and on the last day of the demo period they present themselves on every launch and quit.

I don't think you can use a 4.5 license with 5.0. You will have to buy an upgrade ($9.95?) when it is available.

BZ

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
I downloaded beta 6.1 and it still won't take my license. I read through the release notes, too, and it still doesn't make much sense. Why is Omni doing this? My license should be valid for version 4 and 5. Is there a new licensing method? Tim? Rick?

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 03:10 PM

I'll say it again for you - your version 4 licence will not be valid for OW 5. Version 5 is a "significant" upgrade in OmniGroup speak and therefore requires a new purchase. However, as an OW4.x licence holder, you will be entitled to a discounted upgrade price for when version 5 does go final. You'll have to ask OG what price that will be...

OmniGroup obviously want to test the new demo mode feature with this beta, so that is probably why this version doesn't accept the old licence when compared to the earlier betas.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
I'll say it again for you - your version 4 licence will not be valid for OW 5. Version 5 is a "significant" upgrade in OmniGroup speak and therefore requires a new purchase. However, as an OW4.x licence holder, you will be entitled to a discounted upgrade price for when version 5 does go final. You'll have to ask OG what price that will be...

OmniGroup obviously want to test the new demo mode feature with this beta, so that is probably why this version doesn't accept the old licence when compared to the earlier betas.
His 4.5 license might be valid actually. Remember that all new 4.5 purchases after 5 was announced get a free upgrade to 5.

-matt

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 04:23 PM

From the email Omni sent me when I registered January 2, 2004:

Purchases on or after December 1, 2003, qualify for a free upgrade to
OmniWeb 5. Upgrade licenses will be automatically sent to qualifying
customers when (or before) OmniWeb 5 ships.
Before this point, the 4.5 licensed worked fine for the OW 5 betas. Now it does not. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE OmniWeb. I don't think I can ever use another web browser regularly again. I understand it's beta software, but the whole registration thing concerns me a bit because I don't want Omni alienating customers. They write too good of software to do that.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 04:25 PM

Okay to repeat the others just one more time...

Your license is not broken.

This is a beta to test out new features.

The demo version is a new feature.

This beta is testing out that feature.

Thank you.

~BS

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 04:38 PM

From the email Omni sent me when I registered January 2, 2004:

Before this point, the 4.5 licensed worked fine for the OW 5 betas. Now it does not. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE OmniWeb. I don't think I can ever use another web browser regularly again. I understand it's beta software, but the whole registration thing concerns me a bit because I don't want Omni alienating customers. They write too good of software to do that.
Dude,

Chill...you have a 4.5 license like everyone else here (I'm not aware that 5.0 licenses were for sale yet, so I'm making the assumption that no one has one yet); although, you are eligible to receive a 5.0 license free of charge once OmniWeb 5 goes final, or until Omnigroup sends you your 5.0 license (which may be sooner than the final release).

Your current license is not an all-encompassing license for versions 4 - 5. Thus, with the current beta, your current license will not be recognized as a valid version 5 license. You will have to wait to receive a 5.0 license from Omnigroup which I imagine they will send to you via mail or e-mail in the coming weeks. Irregardless, you will still be able to use OmniWeb's complete functionality for 30 days (not necessarily consecutive) at which time OmniGroup will have released a new beta which will reset the counter, or will have provided you with a 5.0 license key upon 5.0's final relase. Either way, there should be no cause for concern at this time.

Neo.cmg

cpac
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Neo.cmg:
Irregardless
major pet peeve - this is not a word.

What you meant was "Regardless"

[/pet peeve]

Loving b6, one crash under a very heavy load, but none of the caching problems I used to have.
cpac

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
major pet peeve - this is not a word.

What you meant was "Regardless"

[/pet peeve]

Loving b6, one crash under a very heavy load, but none of the caching problems I used to have.
Well, perhaps you should fix your "major pet peeve" to coincide with present times:

irregardless

I don't consider these message boards as a forum for formal prose, and as such, I don't believe I should be corrected for something that has widespread usage dating back to the earliest part of last century in speech and is actually recognized as a word; although, language snobs seem to know what is and isn't correct in formal writing--it's English people--and the rules are dynamic. I don't think any understanding was lost within any of the context with my unedited post. How someone can be affected by something so insignificant regularly is beyond my comprehension.

Neo.cmg

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 06:39 PM

It's a perfectly cromulent point.

I'm not seeing the strange text artifacts when highlighting that were described in the release notes.

Haven't had a nil value bug with b6x, but that usually only happens when I leave it running for awhile.

Hope the fix the text area stuff before final, this one's not blanking out on me but i do get the multiple outline shadows at varying heights, with a new one being overlaid with every click.

Besides those 2 bugs I'd like to see workspaces get polished a bit more. But otherwise b6x is looking really good.

~BS

cpac
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 06:46 PM

Neo - sorry - wasn't trying to bash you, but as even your link points out, the word is a spoken thing usually and
is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
"Regardless" means the same thing, and putting an "ir" in front of it adds a second negative that is contrary to your intended meaning.

Bottom line? Using "irregardless" makes you sound unedjimacated.
cpac

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Neo.cmg:
Well, perhaps you should fix your "major pet peeve" to coincide with present times:

irregardless
It's funny the way you misspelled http://www.merriamwebster.com as http://www.mirriamwebster.com (although, the link still seems to work - must be a common enough misspelling that they registered both domains).

Rickster
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 09:52 PM

Neo.cmg, MrBS, and others sum it up pretty well. OmniWeb licenses have always been keyed to the major version number -- previous OmniWeb 5 betas have run in "licensed mode" because an expiring OmniWeb 5 license was included with them. Customers who purchased OmniWeb 4.x in or after December 2003 are eligible for free upgrades -- your OmniWeb 5 license codes will be emailed to you in sometime in the next few weeks.

We're interested in feedback on the demo mode, too... we certainly don't want to annoy potential customers to the point of driving them off. And of course, we definitely want to hear if you find that the demo mode isn't working as advertised. Either way, send your comments to [email protected].
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Mike S.
Senior User
May 4, 2004, 09:56 PM

This beta is really very nice, the new text engine has improved performance in a major way.

I've been stop watch benchmarking all the betas as they've been released and recording the data. Beta 6 is not only the fastest OW beta to date by a wide margin but it's the first one that has exceeded version 4.5.

It's now in a close run with FireFox, a great improvement but both still trail Safari and Camino by a wide margin.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 10:46 PM

Heheheheh... it was the school's connection. Hot damn this browser is fast on forums at home. Keep up the good work.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 11:44 PM

I just received my OW 5 license. My earlier confusion was cleared up before and now I have the license to boot! Omni is great!

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
We're interested in feedback on the demo mode, too... we certainly don't want to annoy potential customers to the point of driving them off. And of course, we definitely want to hear if you find that the demo mode isn't working as advertised. Either way, send your comments to [email protected].
I do not mind the nag messages. I do not mind the "Unlicensed" message. But I do feel locking out the homepage is annoying.

Is it annoying enough to drive me off forever? No, not really. Would I request that changing the homepage come back as a "free" feature? yes. Why? Because it is such a basic feature that has been around forever in all web-browsers. The older OW's allowed this and is probably more likely to send me back to Camino then buy OW. (Please note that after summer school and 5.0 ships I DO plan to buy OW).

Of course it will not effect me as it took 15 seconds to find the html file and I can put in my own. Regardless I feel that the more hands off reminders to get a license were less annoying and more likely to generate sales then lock out such a small & old feature.

my 2�
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

torifile
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
I do not mind the nag messages. I do not mind the "Unlicensed" message. But I do feel locking out the homepage is annoying.

Is it annoying enough to drive me off forever? No, not really. Would I request that changing the homepage come back as a "free" feature? yes. Why? Because it is such a basic feature that has been around forever in all web-browsers. The older OW's allowed this and is probably more likely to send me back to Camino then buy OW. (Please note that after summer school and 5.0 ships I DO plan to buy OW).

Of course it will not effect me as it took 15 seconds to find the html file and I can put in my own. Regardless I feel that the more hands off reminders to get a license were less annoying and more likely to generate sales then lock out such a small & old feature.

my 2�
edit: I should have read the rest of your post. Sorry.

Poke around just a bit and you'll find the index.html page that is generating the start page. Change it to have only:

Code:
<html> <head> <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=http://news.google.com"> </head> </html>
Of course, you'll want to change the redirect page to your preferred homepage... It's really pretty easy. (and I'm sure the OW guys will make it harder since I pointed out how to do it... Oh well. They'll get my money anyway.)

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 02:17 AM

Actually, we most likely won't make that restriction harder to hack around. We are of the opinion that if you really want to get around OmniWeb's demo limitations, then you can do it, no matter how difficult we make it.

We just wanted an easy way to remind people that this browser costs a lot of money to develop and maintain, and that we would appreciate it if people paid for what they use.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 02:21 AM

I should mention that the integration of the latest WebCore is going really smoothly, and that we'll definitely be caught up to Safari by the time the free 5.1 upgrade ships (which hopefully won't be much later than the 5.0 release).

Just a little update for those who want to know what's going to happen after 5.0 goes final.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

workerbee
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 03:50 AM

Strange. As of this morning, my OW 5 Beta 6 has stopped working and is claiming it has expired. I seem to remember accepting the "use unlicensed" thingy just yesterday. Am I doing something wrong?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 04:09 AM

I actually would buy a license if I could get a word if there are going to be localized builds for German available anytime soon...

I already asked for it, but got no answer. Can I have a statement from one of the Omni guys?
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
Actually, we most likely won't make that restriction harder to hack around. We are of the opinion that if you really want to get around OmniWeb's demo limitations, then you can do it, no matter how difficult we make it.
Oh so true.

We just wanted an easy way to remind people that this browser costs a lot of money to develop and maintain, and that we would appreciate it if people paid for what they use.
Again, I feel the nag message on launch and the "Unlicensed" branding does the job perfectly file.

A little antidote: Just today I was telling a friend how great Omni is about using OW unlicensed and getting single day license keys to demo their other products. Great way to give something a spin but annoying enough that someone would need to be VERY cheap to do it everyday.

There is a bug which I didn't report as I assume it was taken care of but I guess not. On this forum for instance gif's have weird rendering issues. for example part of the right face is wrapped around to the left face.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Amorya
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by workerbee:
Strange. As of this morning, my OW 5 Beta 6 has stopped working and is claiming it has expired. I seem to remember accepting the "use unlicensed" thingy just yesterday. Am I doing something wrong?
Same here. I'm reduced to using Safari!

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 05:22 AM

Same thing here, mine's "expired" as well. Since I'm on dial-up I didn't want to go through the hassel od re-downloading it again. Strange bug.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2004, 05:37 AM

There's a beta 6.1 out here. Don't think they mention it's 6.1... 6 was only up for a few hours. Only noted change is the expiration date (they forgot to change it for b6). You should be able to get it by checking for updates from within Omniweb... also I think you're supposed to be able to go to anywhere in their domain even with the expired browser... might want to try that out too.
~BS

proton
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by workerbee:
The expiry code in beta 6 was broken and still had the 5th of May the expiry date. It was fixed soon afterwards with beta 6.1. You'll have to download a new copy and you'll be ready to go.

- proton

workerbee
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 07:49 AM

Ahhh... much better ::uses OW 5 again instead of Safari::

Thanks!
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

entrox
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 08:05 AM

Will there be upgrade prices from OW4.x? I quickly glossed over the online store, but only found a full-fledged 4.x license.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2004, 08:33 AM

Yes.

"OmniWeb 5.0 Pricing

OmniWeb 5.0 will sell for $29.95.

Upgrades from previous versions of OmniWeb will be $9.95.

Purchases of OmniWeb 4.5 dated December 2003 and later are eligible for a free upgrade to OmniWeb 5. We will contact customers eligible for a free upgrade to OmniWeb 5.0 with a new license code for use with OmniWeb 5.0."

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/5/

BZ

Originally posted by entrox:
Will there be upgrade prices from OW4.x? I quickly glossed over the online store, but only found a full-fledged 4.x license.

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 09:43 AM

For those of you who are 3.x or 4.x licensees, you can get your OW5 licence early from here Just bought mine for $6.95 (edu upgrade price... and yes, I am in education so I'm not cheating the system )

Warning - I don't know if you should do this if you are expecting a free OW 5 licence as a 4.5 purchaser post 31 December 2003 as there doesn't seem to be an option for it (you may as well input your info and see what comes up as the price... if it isn't $0.00, then you need to wait for OG to send you your free licence).

bewebste
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 12:05 PM

A couple quick questions about the latest beta:

1. I saw in the release notes that workspaces are now uncached after an hour of inactivity and reloaded from the network when you switch back to the workspace. Is there a default you can set to turn this off? I really don't like this behavior, as I often have stuff loaded up into a workspace for later reading, possibly offline, but it will get removed after an hour.
2. Is there also a way to turn off the little tags that pop up when mousing over the tabs in the tab drawer? Some may find them useful, but I never use them and find them to be kind of annoying popping up when I don't want them there.

This beta definitely feels a lot faster than the previous, possibly due in part to the new CoreGraphics drawing. Nice!

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:
1. I saw in the release notes that workspaces are now uncached after an hour of inactivity and reloaded from the network when you switch back to the workspace. Is there a default you can set to turn this off? I really don't like this behavior, as I often have stuff loaded up into a workspace for later reading, possibly offline, but it will get removed after an hour.
Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WorkspacesExpire -bool false
Or, if you simply want to increase the amount of time it takes for a workspace to expire:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WorkspaceExpireTime -int 10000
Or some other number (in seconds).

2. Is there also a way to turn off the little tags that pop up when mousing over the tabs in the tab drawer? Some may find them useful, but I never use them and find them to be kind of annoying popping up when I don't want them there.
There isn't a way to turn them off, but you can make them prettier and less annoying:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 SensibleToolTipBehavior -bool true
This will make it so the tab tooltips only show up when you hover the mouse over the title of a tab. It also positions them differently and makes them look more like the system tooltips. I suggest you try it, and send feedback so that we can change it to the default behavior (I hate the black and white things).
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Forum Links
Forum Rules