Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The OmniWeb 5 Public Beta thread.

The OmniWeb 5 Public Beta thread. (Page 18)
milhouse
Senior User
Jul 30, 2004, 10:34 PM

RC1/RC2 are stable on my Machines now!

I've made it my default browser as an experiment (and also purchased a license).

I really like the workspaces idea.

When they update to the latest webkit/core and javascript it should kick arse.
"-Dodge This"

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2004, 01:44 AM

indeed.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 02:00 AM

Obviously this is a bit premature, but have you (the omni guys) gotten a chance to look at webcore 146 yet?

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2004, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
Obviously this is a bit premature, but have you (the omni guys) gotten a chance to look at webcore 146 yet?
Yeah, we've taken a look at it, and it's certainly not ready for prime time. We're going to give it a while and let it mature before we roll it into a future version of OmniWeb.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2004, 03:01 PM

Hi,

Is there a chance that OmniWeb5 will mimic Safari gfx ? So that OmniWeb can match my theme? I'm using iStyle with those metallic buttons and OmniWeb totally stands out. Which ofcourse is a good thing But there you have it.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2004, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Hi,

Is there a chance that OmniWeb5 will mimic Safari gfx ? So that OmniWeb can match my theme? I'm using iStyle with those metallic buttons and OmniWeb totally stands out. Which ofcourse is a good thing But there you have it.
The OG is releasing a theme application for OW sometime after OW 5 is released. I'm guessing this will help you do what you want.

-matt

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
The OG is releasing a theme application for OW sometime after OW 5 is released. I'm guessing this will help you do what you want.

-matt

thank you. very good news. Since I purchased OmniWeb5 not long ago but am not using it.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2004, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by ratlater:

-matt
Really?

I must say, while I think themes are fun and all, I never, ever, use them. Well, since OG does some of the best application development, they might make a theme manager (and themes) that I would use.

BZ

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by BZ:
Really?

I must say, while I think themes are fun and all, I never, ever, use them. Well, since OG does some of the best application development, they might make a theme manager (and themes) that I would use.

BZ
It won't be for 'themes' as such, but for all the graphics/interface icons that you could replace yourself if you wanted to delve into the resources folder.

athos_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2004, 10:18 AM

I've just downloaded OmniWeb again (rc2 - I hadn't looked at it since the early betas) and it has lots of excellent features. The one thing keeping my wallet in my pocket is that even in the background with no windows open it manages to rack up processor usage of over 80% on my 1GHz G4 powerbook, keeping the fan on constantly. When I type anything, either into the address or search bars, or web forms, there's about a 2 second lag between pressing the keys and anything appearing. I get none of these problems with 4.5.

Are these simply beta issues that will be resolved for the final version, or is something odd going on with my machine, because at the moment the browser simply isn't usable.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by athos_uk:
I've just downloaded OmniWeb again (rc2 - I hadn't looked at it since the early betas) and it has lots of excellent features. The one thing keeping my wallet in my pocket is that even in the background with no windows open it manages to rack up processor usage of over 80% on my 1GHz G4 powerbook, keeping the fan on constantly. When I type anything, either into the address or search bars, or web forms, there's about a 2 second lag between pressing the keys and anything appearing. I get none of these problems with 4.5.

Are these simply beta issues that will be resolved for the final version, or is something odd going on with my machine, because at the moment the browser simply isn't usable.
I would say that you have something odd in your setup. I have a 1.25ghz alu powerbook and have none of these issues.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

athos_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Mike Pither:
I would say that you have something odd in your setup. I have a 1.25ghz alu powerbook and have none of these issues.

Anyone got any idea what might be causing this? I'm running OS X 10.2.8.

What seems odd is that if I have a number of other processor intensive apps open then Omniweb's usage drops back off again. But if I have very little open and the processor is largely idle and I open OmniWeb then it takes up all the free capacity, even if I then don't do anything with it and close all the browser windows. I wonder what it's doing with the processor?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Tam

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2004, 06:33 PM

do you have the default to set to check bookmarks for changes? Do you have a lot of bookmarks? If the answer to both is yes, the activity could just be OW trying to see what's going on with those pages (and the use level should drop off after a while).

Otherwise, I'd try moving your OW 5.0 folder out of ~/Library/Application Support/ and moving the OW 5.0 preferences from ~/Library/Preferences/ and seeing if your problems aren't solved. (this will eliminate temporarily your bookmarks, history, cookies, preferences, etc., but then at least you'll know where the problem is...)
cpac

athos_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2004, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
do you have the default to set to check bookmarks for changes? Do you have a lot of bookmarks? If the answer to both is yes, the activity could just be OW trying to see what's going on with those pages (and the use level should drop off after a while).

Otherwise, I'd try moving your OW 5.0 folder out of ~/Library/Application Support/ and moving the OW 5.0 preferences from ~/Library/Preferences/ and seeing if your problems aren't solved. (this will eliminate temporarily your bookmarks, history, cookies, preferences, etc., but then at least you'll know where the problem is...)

It's set not to check for bookmark changes. Also, the useage doesn't drop off over time, it just sits there. Also, it's not acompanied by any network activity.

I moved the folder and preferences out but there was no effect.

thanks,

Tam

tjw-omni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2004, 09:49 PM

Please try the following:

Launch /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app
Select OmniWeb
Select Process -> Sample from the menu
Send the resulting info to [email protected]

This will let our devs see some details (not all, but often enough) about what is going on. It's also useful to look in the Error Log (under the Windows menu) to see if there are any messages there and tack them onto your mail.

Gavriel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2004, 03:38 AM

In OmniWeb 5, are the tagged sites called Bookmarks of Favorites? I ask because while the menubar selection is called Bookmarks, the 'Bookmarks bar' is actually called 'Favorites bar'. See: View>Toolbars>Favorites bar

This is confusing and while I see the reasoning behind this, ie the Favorites bar contains the favorites of the bookmarks, this could cause some real confusion amongs both Windows converts and old time Mac-users alike. Ie. 'Favorites' is Windowsian for 'Bookmarks' and the 'Favorites bar' is actually called 'Bookmarks bar' in every other browser for the Mac (that I can tell).

sborzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2004, 01:55 PM

Can somebody please help me with something. I don't see how to manage stored passwords with Omniweb 5 RC2. Is there nothing built into the software? Do you have to go to Keychain in Utilities?

More importantly, on one site when it asked me to store password I said NO. Now I want to change my mind but it won't prompt me again. How do I reset that?

Thanks,
Steve

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2004, 06:21 PM

Many of the passwords are going to be stored in the keychain - the idea being that Safari (or other intenet app) can use the same passwords - no need for duplicate lists.

If you don't see what you're looking for in the Keychain, look at the autofill information to see if it's stored there (go to preferences->autofill).

As for the don't remember password preferences, I'd visit the site and see if that's stored in the per-site preferences for that site, otherwise, I'm sure one of the omni people will tell you which file contains the list of these sites and how to fix it.
cpac

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2004, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Gavriel:
In OmniWeb 5, are the tagged sites called Bookmarks of Favorites? I ask because while the menubar selection is called Bookmarks, the 'Bookmarks bar' is actually called 'Favorites bar'. See: View>Toolbars>Favorites bar

This is confusing and while I see the reasoning behind this, ie the Favorites bar contains the favorites of the bookmarks, this could cause some real confusion amongs both Windows converts and old time Mac-users alike. Ie. 'Favorites' is Windowsian for 'Bookmarks' and the 'Favorites bar' is actually called 'Bookmarks bar' in every other browser for the Mac (that I can tell).
In OW, bookmarks = bookmarks = bookmarks.

The OW "Favorites Bar" = "Bookmark Bar" in other applications.

I can see why you think some of this terminology might be a little confusing - but since, as you say, there's logic behind it, I don't see why/how it matters much at all - any confusion about the precise terminology isn't going to prevent easy and effective use of OW...
cpac

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 03:37 PM

Not sure who else noticed, but Omnigroup has taken down all the OW 5.0 preview/beta pages and replaced them with an announcement that 5.0 will be released on the 11th...

woohoo!!! (though it does mean death for this thread....)
cpac

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 04:11 PM

nah... y'all can just talk about 5.1 instead.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
nah... y'all can just talk about 5.1 instead.
Someone sounds confident

Eek!

Mike S.
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 05:35 PM

Do you guys have any surprises in store for the release version (aside from the icon app) or will it all be old hat to us beta users?

I only ask since you're spinning the marketing wheels at the web site and you've got the cute dog telling everyone to wait a few more days; which baffles me seeing as the beta has been public for so long...

Maybe the developers are just having some well earned fun :-)

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Do you guys have any surprises in store for the release version (aside from the icon app) or will it all be old hat to us beta users?
Yeah, it has a feature called QuickWeb, which makes web browsing an average of five (5) times faster. To activate it, hold the Command key and type Q-U-I-C-K.

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Remember to tip your waitress.

But seriously, folks, it's basically the same as RC2. Sorry to disappoint you!
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
Sorry to disappoint you!
I don't think there's anything about 5.0 going final that is going to be disappointing - it will be here! (and it will mean 5.1 w/ updated webcore is that much closer...)
cpac

Mike S.
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 11:00 PM

Who said anything about disappointment?

I'm looking forward to the updated WebCore in 5.1, the icon packs and my continued use of OmniWeb for my surfing needs :-)

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 07:54 AM

Where is it!!

Damn these Americans spending an extra 6 hours asleep

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 07:59 AM

Soon I hope.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 08:31 AM

Ok... (checks calendar) looks like it is the 11th...

Credit card - Check
Bandwidth - Check
Ready to talk about 5.1 - Check

???

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/

BZ

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 08:59 AM

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2004, 09:49 AM

By my calendar, it's August 11th. Wake up in Seattle and release it already.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 11:39 AM

I'm wondering if the 10.3.5 release and the java update might have caused a last minute bug or two - I had a few hangs yesterday after the java update, and OW hasn't been hanging for me for a long time...

Hopefully that's just me though. Regardless, it *is* still before 9am in Seattle...
cpac

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 01:24 PM

8/11/2004 is now more than half over....

Are all the OmniDudes hung over from the big release party last night?

BZ

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
8/11/2004 is now more than half over....
there are a few hours left in the morning yet in seattle...
cpac

Mike S.
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 02:17 PM

Maybe they're trying to be like Apple; No release until after the close of the stock market.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 02:20 PM

Maybe they're trying to be like Apple; No release until after the close of the stock market.
I would almost believe that, except they are a private company!

OMNIDUDES!!! Let her BE FREE!!!

OW Forever!

BZ

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 02:20 PM

Or you mean only 3 people will receive their copies, and post obligatory pics of opening the package

bewebste
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Or you mean only 3 people will receive their copies, and post obligatory pics of opening the package
Hmm, I guess in this case that would mean a screenshot of the mounting of the disk image.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 03:14 PM

I got my copy!

The delivery truck

The groovy box.

OMG the secret new 5.0 look!

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 04:24 PM

It is so very cool to think that they have been building the web browser for 10 years.

Can we start the Wish list for 5.1/5.2?

BZ

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
Can we start the Wish list for 5.1/5.2?

BZ
No.

Because real artists ship

(Or in other words, wait till 5.0 is here).

Ken at Omni
Aug 11, 2004, 04:50 PM

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 04:56 PM

tease
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 05:02 PM

Scott and I are putting finishing touches on the website; will go live soon.

It is so very cool to think that they have been building the web browser for 10 years.
Yep... OmniWeb even predates Netscape 1.0.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Ken at Omni:
<snip>
You can't take my joke!!

Nice packaging - I once made a set of Omni Packaging for a school project, but my contact at the Omni Group (Manuel Chao) disappeared off the face of the earth before I could show him the finished product.

(Where did he go?)

gregomni
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
Good lord, that's a frightening thought.

Ken at Omni
Aug 11, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
You can't take my joke!!

Nice packaging - I once made a set of Omni Packaging for a school project, but my contact at the Omni Group (Manuel Chao) disappeared off the face of the earth before I could show him the finished product.

(Where did he go?)
We loved working with Manny and I think he enjoyed working here, but his passion lies elsewhere and he left to pursue it.

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 05:24 PM

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 05:28 PM

We loved working with Manny and I think he enjoyed working here, but his passion lies elsewhere and he left to pursue it.
Omni employees turn to drink... who'd have thought it

Ah well, at least he's happy.

Zarafa
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 05:50 PM

Fellow Seattle [and nearby] residents take note: I personally had no idea of this connection until now, but I will say that Manny's is one of the best darn beers around. At least to my taste. If your local watering hole carries it, by all means give it a try.

Back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Forum Links
Forum Rules