Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook gets a 14" screen !

iBook gets a 14" screen !
Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2002, 11:35 AM

http://www.apple.com/home

Third broken link across the bottom

Ben.

masskinner
Jan 7, 2002, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Brit Ben:
<STRONG>http://www.apple.com/home

Third broken link across the bottom

Ben.</STRONG>
I can confirm that this was there for a brief time before it was pulled.

It's hard to imagine it. Not very compact. Also, without knowing the density it's difficult to say how much better this would be. I mean if it sports the same bit-depth only it's visually larger, would that be so good? I rather like the compact iBook with its bright sharp screen.

The big question is the graphics card...

TC
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 11:52 AM

I can still see it, at least the links anyway.

Here is the spec for the iMac from the source of the page:
15-inch Active Matrix LCD, 800-MHz G4 with Velocity Engine, SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-RW), GeForce2 MX Graphics, USB - FireWire - Ethernet, Apple Pro Speakers, AirPort ready, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD
Nothing to see, move along.

ruttopia
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 12:14 PM

Wow -- that's a very interesting page. Note the link to Time Magazine and the free iPhoto download. Sweet.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 12:40 PM

Looks very much like my credit card will get a good workout today.....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 03:48 PM

It's strange how the new 14" iBook is a whole pound heavier than the old 12" model. Is the extra 2" of screen space worth an extra pound? Other than the larger battery, the other specs are the same. I was hoping for a larger display in the same case, but my iBook 500 will do for now...

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 05:26 PM

I am surprised that they came out with a 14" iBook. I am not disappointed to have recently gotten an iBook 600 though. I would not trade more screen real estate for more size and weight -- if I had wanted that I would have gotten a TiBook.

The middle iBook is still the best deal. Although for someone on a budget $1199 for a CD-based iBook is a good deal also.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 05:56 PM

I just ordered a 14" iBook from my local dealer....I would have preferred an updated graphics chip along with the bigger screen and considered moving up to a TiBook 550, but that's another $750 for us canadians......so the iBook 14 seems like the best compromise for my needs right now.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 06:03 PM

Not worth the extra weight for the extra display space. I was a little jealous when I heard about it this morning before the keynote but now, with no graphics chip or processor upgrade then I am fine having my 500MHz combo.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 7, 2002, 07:07 PM

The 14" iBook has a faster Combo drive, though... it writes twice as fast as the one in the 12", according to Apple's iBook spec page.

tooki

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 07:24 PM

Even though the new iBook is the most expensive one out I think it is still a good price/performance system. Over the entry level TiBook you save 400$ and get some software and a combo drive. That 400$ is a big difference for me as I'm looking to upgrade my Lombard and I was only going to go with PowerBooks again if there was a speed bump announced at this MW. If you're cool with the 12" screen you get to save even more over the entry level PB.

My Lombard is pretty speedy under OS9 but with newer games and newer apps it is slowing being left in the dust. Hence I've been looking for an upgrade and since the TiBooks didn't get a speed bump like I hoped it is now time to look at the iBook. I think the sweet spot for me is the 12" Combo drive model. It'd be an upgrade to about every aspect of my Lombard and not cost me the pretty penny the entry level TiBook would. I also doubt that statistically the G4 is going to be uber-useful for 90% of the stuff I'm probably going to be running.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

<free lunch>
Jan 7, 2002, 07:31 PM

So as far as I understand it, the 14" iBook has a larger footprint?
That does not seem to be a good marketing strategy as it could suck away some TiBook sales, even though the video specs of the 14" are the same as for the 12".
On the other hand, one of the "advantages" of the iBook over the TiBook is its size after all. If the iBook had been bigger when I bought mine I might have jumped for the TiBook for a few bucks more. But then size matters to me...

In any case, I think Apple might have listened to customers a little to closely as they did with the Cube (which I love(d) but didn't buy).
Keep it simple, Steve, don't give us to many options. We just might not know what we actually want and need.

Peace, Dre

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by &lt;free lunch&gt;:

Keep it simple, Steve, don't give us to many options. We just might not know what we actually want and need.

Peace, Dre[/QB]
You're telling me! I had just "settled" on the high-end 12" model a week ago, but now the 14" is so far in the grey area between ibook and powerbook that I am now considering the low-end powerbook instead. Or, I can get the 12" model cheaper. Not to mention the fact that the blazing new imac with superdrive is tantalizing at the same price as the 14" ibook (just can't take it with me on travels!). Decisions, decisions... I think I'll flip a coin, or a 4-sided die.

--Chris

My dilemma:

Powerbook ($2,299)

15.2-inch TFT widescreen active matrix
550MHz PowerPC G4 @ 100MHz
256K L2 cache @ 550MHz
256MB SDRAM memory
20GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon w/ 16MB DDR video memory
Gigabit Ethernet
56K internal modem
1 FireWire & 2 USB Ports
Up to 5 hr. battery life
5.4 pounds, 13.4 x 9.5 x 1
Airport Ready

VERSUS

iBook ($1,799)

14.1-inch TFT XGA display
600MHz PowerPC G3 @ 100MHz
256K L2 cache @ 600MHz
256MB SDRAM memory
20GB Ultra ATA drive
ATI Rage Mobility 128 w/ 8MB SDRAM, AGP 2X
10/100baseT Ethernet
56K internal modem
1 FireWire & 2 USB Ports
Up to 6 hr. battery life
5.9 pounds, 12.7 x 10.2 x 1.35
Airport Ready
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

<sl>
Jan 7, 2002, 09:59 PM

I checked out the new 14 incher at the Apple store today. Nice big screen, exact same keyboard just with a bigger case. Definitely heavier and a tough trade-off against the lighter smaller 12 inch. I would still pick the 12 inch again given my preference for lighter portability, but hey, it's nice to have choices.

pfm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 10:03 PM

the new 14" is for old people with sight problems.

it has same rez as small display, which gives it absolutely no advantage as long as you have good eyesight (or corrective lenses), and it also means the 14" won't be nearly as sharp and the picture won't be as good. not to mention its $300 more, weighs one pound more, and is one inch deeper and 1.5 inches wider. to hell with that! i was worried at first that the 14" would mean higher rez and then i'd have to upgrade, but nope. sux that there are no more 30 gig options, maybe you should try ebay? i guess my 12" combo/30gig is now a collector's item

DON'T get the 14", you'll regret it. the 12" is so awesome cause you get same amount of screen info in a much smaller package. just go look at the two in person.

pfm

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 10:51 PM

It seems to me the iMac2 makes the value of the newest iBook (14.1") somewhat questionable. Consider that for the same $1799 the iMac2 gives you a faster processor, a G4, a bigger screen, keyboard, mouse, triple the hard drive, better graphics chip, three extra USB ports AND the Superdrive. You would have to need portability a LOT to make the new iBook worthwhile.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2002, 12:42 AM

The 14" is not that useful, considering the resolution is still the same as the 12". I'd like 13", or else a higher resolution at 14" for REAL increased in desktop space.

beamso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2002, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by hempcamp:
<STRONG>

You're telling me! I had just "settled" on the high-end 12" model a week ago, but now the 14" is so far in the grey area between ibook and powerbook that I am now considering the low-end powerbook instead. Or, I can get the 12" model cheaper. Not to mention the fact that the blazing new imac with superdrive is tantalizing at the same price as the 14" ibook (just can't take it with me on travels!). Decisions, decisions... I think I'll flip a coin, or a 4-sided die.
</STRONG>
I'm unsure about your screen size preferences (I have an iBook, and the 12" screen suits me just fine) but I feel that the 14" iBook isn't great value, especially considering the extra memory (256MB) it comes with is partially in the expansion slot. Will someone happily take the 128MB RAM back from the 14" if you want to expand it to 384MB or 640MB?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2002, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by &lt;sl&gt;:
<STRONG>I checked out the new 14 incher at the Apple store today. Nice big screen, exact same keyboard just with a bigger case. Definitely heavier and a tough trade-off against the lighter smaller 12 inch. I would still pick the 12 inch again given my preference for lighter portability, but hey, it's nice to have choices.</STRONG>
Amen to that. I love the portability of my 600 combo and would never exchange it for a bigger, heavier machine.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 06:05 AM

Two words:

computer book

think Gadget, niece Penny's
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 12:42 PM

I don't see the point of this new iBook unless you like carrying big thing around.

Iguana: The other green meat.

Surfer
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2002, 01:32 PM

The new 14 inch ibook is a welcomed addition. The only differences I can see in the specs are obviously the 14.1 screen, 8x writing speed in combo drive, an extra 128MB RAM module in the RAM slot (needs to be removed to upgrade) and a 50 Watt battery instead of 42 Watts giving an additional hour of battery power.

Although I like the new ibook, I couldn't stop thinking about the interior of the new ibook. As it is probably using the same logic board and interior as the smaller 12.1 inch ibook, it must have a lot of dead space!! Except for the larger battery...
What also surprised me is that it weighs exactly the same as my lombard machine 5.9lbs (2.7Kg) half a kilo more than the 12 inch ibook!!! That is a lot, does the extra screen space and plastics weigh that much!?!? Perhaps the battery takes a lot of weight?

acadian
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 01:42 PM

Check out iBook comparison photos.MacNet2
people ruin everything....

Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 03:47 PM

All I can say is O'Grady had it right after all...I had dismissed his wild speculation as.....wild speculation
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 04:30 PM

All I can say is O'Grady had it right after all...I had dismissed his wild speculation as.....wild speculation
Well, if you wait long enough, a lot of rumors end up coming true. Didn't he also predict that the new iBook would start at $999? As of yesterday, he's $100 closer...

I'm a bit mystified by the new 14-inch iBook. If the bigger screen actually gave you more real estate, I'd be more interested, but for the same resolution, I'd take the original model. Frankly, if I were in the market for a machine that size, I'd cough up a few hundred more for the PowerBook. The Ti has a G4, a bigger screen, better video, slot-loading drive and the undeniable "cool" factor. And it weighs a bit less!
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

Tiny-E
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2002, 07:23 PM

I took a look at the 14" ibook and compared it to my ti. There's no way I'd buy the 14" over my ti. it's wider by about an inch, and a half inch smaller and the screen is smaller! and it's thicker. totally save the money and buy a ti, they're so worth it! love mine

but the 12' is still pretty damn nice i do have to say for an ultraportable

todrain
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 09:48 PM

As much as I hate to say it, I think that Apple did the wrong thing with the 14" iBook. It's just like the Cube, being that it's the "middle child" It weighs more than any other Apple portable, and really offers few advantages from the model priced $300 less. (only the screen size and faster optical drive) You can also say that if you're about to spend $1799, why not dig a little deeper and go for the TI Book

I think a lot of people complained when the iBook 2 came out in May about the screen size, but I think when you look at the size weight tradeoff, it's not worth it.

Now if the new unit could do 1280x1024, or had a better graphics card, then maybe it would be the right thing....

glurx
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2002, 10:10 PM

If they had put a G4 in it I'd have probably ordered one immediately after the keynote.
Motorola: The Exception To Moore's Law

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2002, 01:50 AM

I am awaiting an iBook 14 from my local outlet...I am not obligated to buy it....and now after doing a bit of looking around I think I might be able to get a TiBook 550 DVD (not the new combo) for almost the same money. I don't really need the combo as I've got a cd burner in the desktop.....so it really seems like the Ti550 might be the better performer for the same $$.......

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 12:28 PM

Yea wasted space. I think they could have easily made this 14in iBook smaller. There is no need to have that thick border around the screen like in the 12in iBook. This thing is too big.

I think they should have went for a 13.1 in screen and keep the iBook the same size. Oh well. I just hope that this new iBook won't tarnish the cute and small image of the iBook.

Naplander
Senior User
Jan 9, 2002, 01:47 PM

I kinda wished they had made coloured iBooks instead of this 14" lump.

You see, they didn't listen to *all* of us
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

torp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2002, 03:11 PM

That's it. For about 2 days I was sure THIS was the iBook to buy. It never came up in my mind it would have the same resolution as the 12 inch. Steve introduced this as an upgrade, but it is a downgrade. These screens might even be cheaper.

I wonder when - and why - they decided to ship this one... It must be, something went wrong with higher resolution screens.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: torp ]

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 04:38 PM

Now if the new unit could do 1280x1024, or had a better graphics card, then maybe it would be the right thing....
I agree. Then there would be a clear feature difference between this and the smaller iBooks. As it is, you're making a lot of tradeoffs in size and weight just so everything on the screen is bigger.

However, I'm sure there's not a lot of R&D money tied up in this. The guts are identical, just in a larger case, right? It's not like they had to engineer a new board or anything. Even the ports are the same, so there are a lot of economies of scale with the other iBooks. And I'm sure they'll sell -- people looking at them in the stores will think "Wow, this model is a lot bigger for just $300 more."
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

<mitchell_pgh>
Jan 9, 2002, 07:51 PM

Sorry, didn't want to login at the Apple store... The iBook 14" is so much like the Ti G4 I thought I was using one (I don't own a Ti, so...) It's Very nice. The Screen is rather bright... Just like the Ti G4... Can't wait to get my new iMac...

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2002, 10:14 PM

the reason the ibook didn't get in increase in resolution is because the powerbook didn't!!!

the powerbook would have to get it first before the ibook or else there would be a midrange product better than a top of the line product. this isn't necessarily a downgrade. they CAN'T have a better feature than the powerbook.

this ibook caters (sp) to the pismo owners who may be looking to upgrade at a lower cost. this ibook has a segment, though it may be a smaller segment than apple hopes. the 12" combo ibook is nearly as good as the 14" so apple may have made a mistake as a 14" screen is not a GREAT reason to upgrade. it's a decent reason

(wow. that made no sense. oh well.)

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2002, 12:10 AM

The 14" screen iBook is in response to Wintel laptops that have a 14" screen at that $1800 price point. It looked bad for Apple to charge that much for a laptop and only give a 12" screen.

A good buddy of mine bought a Toshiba a month ago, because for the price, he could get a 14" screen. Too bad the 14" iBook wasn't out then. Anyway, the odds of him getting a Mac were low anyway, because Windows is "what I'm (my buddy) used to", he says.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2002, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
<STRONG>The 14" is not that useful, considering the resolution is still the same as the 12". I'd like 13", or else a higher resolution at 14" for REAL increased in desktop space.</STRONG>
It's all a judgement call on this one. I currently have a Pismo and an Indigo iBook. Plus I bought a Dual USB iBook the day before they were supposed to have come out. So I've used both the 800 X 600 and 1024 X 768 12.1 inch screen and the 14.1 on the Powerbook (Though I don't know if they're the exact same screens).

I sold the newer iBook because I just didn't like the screen as much as the Pismo's. I gave my wife the choice of keeping either one and she wanted to keep the Indigo. Slower yes, but she loved the keyboard (gotta agree with her on that one).

Same res., no doubt. But the extra 2 inches is 36 % more screen. The 12.1 is 24.5 cm by 18.3 cm. The 14.1 is 28.5 by 21.4. The difference is about 610 cm square versus 448 cm square. It's really noticable when the laptop is the only computer you use as mine is. I just couldn't get used to squinting all the time. One more thing, I wear glasses and my corrected vision is 20/30. That may be a factor.

PeteWK

Oink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2002, 01:22 PM

Same resolution? That's bad. I would pay the extra to have a vga port instead of the 2".

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2002, 06:14 PM

i just went and saw one today and it is horrible! it really is a big ibook and it looks bad. i would never get one, but hopefully a few people do

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Oink:
<STRONG>Same resolution? That's bad. I would pay the extra to have a vga port instead of the 2".</STRONG>
The Dual USB iBook does have a VGA port.

macanonymous
Jan 14, 2002, 08:25 PM

Man, I have to agree with all of you on this one.

I was blown away by the announcement of the 14"er, but it's just.... well, bad. The screen is horrible. I like the size (it's now an official white Pismo), but there just isn't a reason to get it.

I can see where their coming from, though. Think about it: What did everyone hate about the iBook? Nothing. At least that's what Apple says. People just wanted improvements, so the bigger screen (which doesn't cost them much) was put in. Anything else as an upgrade would have been illogical.

What else could they have done? Reasonably?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2002, 09:15 PM

When I load this page I get a dialogue box for iTools.

Note that this is on a Windows 2000 PC.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2002, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Naplander:
<STRONG>I kinda wished they had made coloured iBooks instead of this 14" lump.

You see, they didn't listen to *all* of us </STRONG>
This is the message causing the idisk logon to pop up, since his graphic is not linked from homepage.mac.com but incorrectly from idisk.mac.com. Perhaps an administrator can edit that out so it isn't so obnoxious to open this page?

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules