Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone prepaid

iPhone prepaid
GusR9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 02:54 AM

hi!
I want to buy an iPhone as soon as possible but I have a couple of questions
I saw a few minutes ago on TUAW.com like a guide to activate the iPhone with Prepaid and that's because i dont want 2 years contract and i dont want a carrier like at&t. The point is that I want get 59 dls line and then cancel it, yes cancel forget the phone part for a while until I can use with another carrier so I can use the ipod and safari function (wifi) with the iphone, well my question is..can I do that?
Can I activate the prepaid plan that I pick and then cancel a couple of minutes after hahah or a couple of days..and being able to use the phone removing the sim card and everything else??
What do you think is a good idea??
and here is the link ttp://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/01/prepaid-iphone-in-a-nutshell/

MacHeadChef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 03:35 AM

Even if you do it prepaid, you still have to use ATT because the iphone is locked. Why would you want to save the iPhone for another carrier? Because when other carrier like Verizon, Sprint and Tmobile can use the iPhone, then there will be a new version of the iPhone (probably Gen 3 or 4). For you to be able to use the iPhone functions, you need to activate your iPhone with ATT. Once again you can't remove the SIM card, unless you break open the iPhone (opening the iPhone will void the iPhone warranty).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by MacHeadChef View Post
Once again you can't remove the SIM card, unless you break open the iPhone (opening the iPhone will void the iPhone warranty).
Ahem.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

MacHeadChef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 04:44 AM

When I was at the Apple Store, I asked many Apple sales reps and they told me the Sim card can't be remove unless opening the iPhone. This will void the warranty on the iPhone. Unless you let Apple do it then it won't void the warranty on it.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 05:08 AM

When I was at the Apple Store, I asked many Apple sales reps and they told me the Sim card can't be remove unless opening the iPhone. This will void the warranty on the iPhone. Unless you let Apple do it then it won't void the warranty on it.
Um... no. I got an iphone. Easy to swap out the SIM card. Just use a paperclip and push it into the hole and out comes the SIM card.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 07:07 AM

Once again, no!

This is a page from the iPhone User Guide, where it shows you how to take out the SIM card with a paper clip.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mjs975s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 07:49 PM

This is VERY important for anyone on the prepaid plan. This is not stated anywhere that I can find but discovered it today and confirmed by AT&T and Apple. The iPhone data plan on prepaid does NOT include the 200 text messages. You have to pay an extra $4.99/month if you want these or 15 cents each! No where do I remember that being stated in the agreement during the iPhone activation in iTunes. In fact, all I remember is that it was presented as regardless of your voice plan, the $20 data plan for EDGE, Visual VM, and 200 text messages was standard for any iPhone activation - please be aware this again is NOT the case for prepaid. AT&T sticks it to you with less any time minutes, less N&W minutes, and no mobile to mobile when you get the equivalent prepaid voice package and then sticks it to you again when it comes to the data plan. When calling about this discrepancy, AT&T was very hostile and rude saying that the iPhone should have never been allowed to be activated with a prepaid plan (funny considering it's a built in option in the iTunes activation) while Apple apologized profusely for any confusion and offered to escalate the complaint about the misleading nature of the activation process after checking and double checking if this was indeed correct.
( Last edited by mjs975s; Jul 5, 2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: wrong comment for topic - corrected.)

sting0r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 08:47 PM

Can anyone confirm that you can still sign-up for prepaid using 999-99-9999 as your social? I saw a post that this may have changed. Just got my iPhone and want to do prepaid Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules