Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sticky shift key

Sticky shift key
scewter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2005, 10:58 PM

I purchased my 12 inch Powerbook last January. In the last week, the left shift key has lost its spring factor so when I capitalize a word, it's often lowercase because I did not press the shift key hard enough. Any ideas how to fix this? If it needs to be brought in for repair, do you think the one year warranty takes care of stuff like this? Thanks!

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 11:17 PM

I have intermittently had the same problem with several different key. I have found that using the key for a while (what's a while? No idea but took several days for my most recent key, the delete key) usually returns it to normal function. If it doesn' t return to normal after a couple of days I would take it to an Apple store if possible. Fixing the keys is relatively easy, but if it is under warrenty I wouldn't do it yourself. Hope this helps.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

scewter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=mgehman]I have intermittently had the same problem with several different key...

Thanks for that help. I guess I'll just wait it out. Once I had mayo on my finger while eating a sandwich and I pressed the down key. The key got sticky, but it eventually loosened up. However, I learned my lesson and no longer eat or drink with my PB nearby. It's just that this time, the key became sticky itself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules