Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ichat - more proof aol sucks

ichat - more proof aol sucks
austeros
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 03:47 PM

i hate aol. in addition to their pos online client still being v 5.0, it seems like they are cutting out aim developement on the mac too

what other reason could their be? apple probably offerened them a way out of developement costs for an aim osx client.

not that i am complaining, but i would have rather seen them open up aim so that adium, or fire/proteous could use all the features.

i am sure ichat will be nice, but i just hope it doesnt hog cycles like itunes does.

end rant

There's someone in my head but its not me...

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 04:08 PM

I agree. Also, whats up with all the new apps with a brushed silver look? All of a sudden Apple decides Aqua isn't good enough??

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:

<STRONG>Also, whats up with all the new apps with a brushed silver look? All of a sudden Apple decides Aqua isn't good enough??</STRONG>
It's not good enough for Apple, but it's good enough for third party developers who don't have access to 'brushed metal'.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

schep
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2002, 04:15 PM

This iChat stuff is interesting but the main reason i use adium is because it is more compact (buddy list) than all the other aim progs, and if apple doesn't implement aliases like in adium fire and protrues (how ever you spell that) i definitly won't use it

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by schep:
<STRONG>This iChat stuff is interesting but the main reason i use adium is because it is more compact (buddy list) than all the other aim progs, and if apple doesn't implement aliases like in adium fire and protrues (how ever you spell that) i definitly won't use it</STRONG>
dont forget, if aol doenst let apple have all the features (like reading awaymessages w/o sending an im, buddy icons, and file transfer) its going to be a joke.

atleast there wont be an aol banner

dividend
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 04:38 PM

don't like being tied onto something - i use fire because that way I can chat with aol-, icq- msn- and sometingelse-users at the same time. With iChat, i will only be able to chat with aol/mac-users, and alas, i am a lonely such user...

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2002, 05:13 PM

I hate to use anything with AOL attached to it but am forced b/c of so many family and friends being too dumb to realize it sucks (although I have converted a few).

I was just giggling about this new release of AIM and how they tried to make it look more "aqua" but instead made it look plain old $hitty. It still runs slow as hell (I don't think I type THAT fast) too.

Maybe iChat can pick up where AOL further proves that it blows.

APPLE DON'T FORGET THE DIRECT CONNECT FEATURE!!!

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by shadybirdstan:
<STRONG>APPLE DON'T FORGET THE DIRECT CONNECT FEATURE!!!</STRONG>
what does that even do?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2002, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
<STRONG>

It's not good enough for Apple, but it's good enough for third party developers who don't have access to 'brushed metal'.</STRONG>
They do now. It's an option in ProjectBuilder, starting with the next release. So now any developer can build a brushed metal app.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2002, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>
They do now. It's an option in ProjectBuilder, starting with the next release. So now any developer can build a brushed metal app.</STRONG>
I want the user to make the choice not the developer.

A theme would give developers access to the appearance and the users control over the appearance.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by austeros:
<STRONG>

what does that even do?</STRONG>
directconnect is badass. You can send images over IM and they are incorporated into your conversation. it is actually quite handy most of the time.

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2002, 07:30 PM

<STRONG>i hate aol. in addition to their pos online client still being v 5.0, it seems like they are cutting out aim developement on the mac too

what other reason could their be? apple probably offerened them a way out of developement costs for an aim osx client.

not that i am complaining, but i would have rather seen them open up aim so that adium, or fire/proteous could use all the features.

i am sure ichat will be nice, but i just hope it doesnt hog cycles like itunes does.

end rant</STRONG>
Apple offered them a way out? Apple's deal with AOL to integrate an IM Client into the Mac experience harkens way back to 1999, way before any native OS X AIM client. If anything, it was a deal that had more political/economic significance for AOL at the time because there was so much controversy surrounding AOL's networks vs. Yahoo/MSN's networks. By announcing Apple as a partner, AOL effectively gained a base of supporters that would give them more user-base clout.

And YES, there will be file transfer. This is not a secret.

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 08:04 PM

i was suggesting that aol would now cease developement all togeater since apple is making their own client. i do remember apples involvement, and ti was supposed to keep us up to par with windows, which was happening untill OSX came out

aol apparently wants me to eat my words, since they just realeased a new client today

new aim for osx

still its not up to par with the old classic version, but atleast they dont seem to have stopped developement

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 08:59 PM

Apple does have most of the features of the AIM client (If not all It's still Alpha level software right now)

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2002, 09:14 PM

<STRONG>aol apparently wants me to eat my words, since they just realeased a new client today

new aim for osx

still its not up to par with the old classic version, but atleast they dont seem to have stopped developement</STRONG>
You might not have had words to eat if you knew the new AIM was released before iChat was previewed

Interesting to note: the new version of AIM introduces Mac.com email checking.

schep
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2002, 10:07 PM

<STRONG>

dont forget, if aol doenst let apple have all the features (like reading awaymessages w/o sending an im, buddy icons, and file transfer) its going to be a joke.

atleast there wont be an aol banner</STRONG>
I think that Adam (creator of Adium) is working on incorporating file transfer

also does any one else think the aqua text bubbles look crappy
Looks like it has some type of buddy icons lookin at the same screenshot

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: schep ]

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by schep:
<STRONG>

I think that Adam (creator of Adium) is working on incorporating file transfer

also does any one else think the aqua text bubbles look crappy
Looks like it has some type of buddy icons lookin at the same screenshot

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: schep ]</STRONG>
Nope. Sorry. AOL does not let anyone except the official client recieve/send/apply Files, Buddy Icons, or real Away Messages. So unless Adam want to go round and round with AOL like Trillian is. It will never be implemented.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
<STRONG>So unless Adam want to go round and round with AOL like Trillian is. It will never be implemented.</STRONG>
Actually, I think that's exactly what he's doing: transitioning from the TOC to OSCAR protocol. He said it would take some time, though, and probably not be ready for public until late summer.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Synotic
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
<STRONG>Nope. Sorry. AOL does not let anyone except the official client recieve/send/apply Files, Buddy Icons, or real Away Messages. So unless Adam want to go round and round with AOL like Trillian is. It will never be implemented.</STRONG>
Except iChat of course. Anyways, he has officially stated he will be switching to the oscar protocol.

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2002, 03:26 AM

Very interesting.. looks like the IM ecosystem will be a lot more compelling come the end of summer.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2002, 03:52 AM

I wish they would make iChat accept plugins for the different services. It' s a nice interface, too bad it limits you to AIM users.
~BS

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2002, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by MrBS:
<STRONG>I wish they would make iChat accept plugins for the different services. It' s a nice interface, too bad it limits you to AIM users.
~BS</STRONG>
Sheesh, guys - give it a rest!

This is the first quick demo of a new program, and from the video at http://news.com.com (oddly bunched in with the Inkwell video), it doesn't leave much to be desired. It grabs the icons from the address book, and it supports drag-and-drop file transfer.

If everybody clamors for plug-ins, we'll likely get them - eventually.

That's the way it was with Mail and the Finder.

See you all around Macworld Expo New York in July for the next preview.

-s*

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2002, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<STRONG>If everybody clamors for plug-ins, we'll likely get them - eventually.

That's the way it was with Mail and the Finder.

See you all around Macworld Expo New York in July for the next preview.

-s*</STRONG>
It really depends on what AOL charged for admission into "the tent".
~BS

Archangel
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 04:53 AM

I will use iChat only if it is not a CPU hog. Currently, AIMX uses up to 25% of the CPU and usually is around 15% for me. This is unacceptable. iChat better be significantly lower.

EDIT: Thanks, MrBS. Adium CPU% climbs quite a bit when in active use (sending the message), but normally sits well below 5%.

EDIT: I'm so tired.
[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Archangel ]

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Archangel ]

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2002, 05:09 AM

Fire only uses ~5%.
~BS

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: MrBS ]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2002, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by MrBS:
<STRONG>

It really depends on what AOL charged for admission into "the tent".
~BS</STRONG>
Point taken. Hmmm.

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2002, 09:00 AM

<STRONG>

what does that even do?</STRONG>

As stated you can use this to send Image and sound files real easy when IMing someone. Also if they incorparate the "Get File" feature as seen on the peecee that would rock. It basically allows you to setup a virtual FTP that only select users (or all) can access, transferring files from work has never been easier .

Anyway, maybe iChat will take some lessons from the Mac BU over at M$. I think Messenger is a well written OS X program that is 100 Xs smoother then AIM.

[edit]Love all the time outs I get now using the new version of AIM [/edit]

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: shadybirdstan ]

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2002, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Archangel:
<STRONG>I will use iChat only if it is not a CPU hog. Currently, AIMX uses up to 25% of the CPU and usually is around 15% for me. This is unacceptable.</STRONG>
Turn off the stock and news tickers (which aren't in the alternative clients anyway), and watch AIM's CPU usage fall through the floor. I'm showing only 1%-3% usage with this setup.

I assume it gets even better with the ad-removal patches, but I haven't applied those just yet.

By the way, you might notice that with the latest version of AIM, you can sign on using your mac.com e-mail address (you must include the @mac.com) and it'll work, though you obviously have to recreate your Buddy List. Only problem is, I'm not sure you can cross-talk yet; I can't see any of my AIM buddies online.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2002, 09:06 PM

This is from Maccentral:

iChat is Apple's instant messaging software that's compatible with AOL's AIM instant messaging client. "We are thrilled to be working with AOL on this," Jobs said. "They're even adopting some of the features we're pioneering back into their app."
I wonder what they're adopting, besides Mac.com users?

cejones
Forum Regular
May 9, 2002, 11:41 AM

I installed the new version of AIM for MacOS X last night and logged in using my mac.com account. It all works, but the strange thing is that after adding all my buddies to the buddy list, I could not see any of them. It acted as if they were not online... but when I logged out and logged back in using my AIM account, I could see them all fine. Must be some strangeness going on with the implementation of the mac.com users. I hope that iChat will work with both mac.com users and all the other AIM users...

I also hope that iChat evolves into something similiar to Trillian. I love only running one program and being able to talk to all my friends, no matter what IM system they use...

And knowing Apple, perhaps they will incorporate Quicktime 6's MPEG 4 capabilities into iChat so I can videochat with my family.... I hope they realize that as more and more people get onto the broadband connections, we are going to want to evolve the communication from text based to video...

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
May 10, 2002, 03:50 AM

iChat wouldn't be used by me... I mean, in real life I only know 1 person who uses AIM very rarely....

I named my idea for iChat here, but I would like to see it a multi-platform chat-app... MSN and ICQ support is essential. Until that time, I will continue to use Fire.

But I have hope, from the shots I saw I saw a column with "service icons" in the buddy list, and why would they implement such a thing if all the buddies were AOL?

(btw: i love cocoa spell check in omniweb )
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

benh57
Senior User
May 10, 2002, 06:39 AM

FYI, according to an AOL engineer on the Carbon-dev list, there has been a corporate decision at "the highest levels" to bring OSX up to par with windows for all their products. Search the carbon-dev (or was it macosx-dev@omnigroup?) for the post.

Basically, we won't be stuck with AOL5 that much longer.

(not that i use AOL much, but it's good news anyway)
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 10, 2002, 08:30 AM

On the issue of file transfers, as I saw in the news.com video, you can drag a file directly to someone on your buddy list and X will open a connection directly to that user and start the transfer. This may not work with non-X users of AIM, but seems that Apple has some limited solution. And iChat seems designed to be only limited right now anyways.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Brazuca:
<STRONG>On the issue of file transfers, as I saw in the news.com video, you can drag a file directly to someone on your buddy list and X will open a connection directly to that user and start the transfer. This may not work with non-X users of AIM, but seems that Apple has some limited solution. And iChat seems designed to be only limited right now anyways.</STRONG>
I see no reason this can't work with all AIM users for whom file transfer currently works. Since AOL and Apple are officially bedfellows for this particular iApp, Apple should have access to all the Oscar features that AOL has denied others. Steve Jobs referred to a direct transfer between two users - isn't this how AIM file transfer currently works anyway?

Good news about AOL's recommittal to OS X, btw. Not that we love them particularly, but I suppose it's as much a benefit to them as it is to the platform. After all, they're not as good friends with MS as they used to be, if their relationship could have been described as good to begin with. Now with MSN coming to the Mac, it would be a good idea for AOL to stop treating us like crap.

Regarding AOL's integration of iChat-pioneered features: I think Rendezvous chatting is a good candidate. It seems a very desirable "next step" for instant messaging..

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2002, 03:47 AM

It looks like Adam will not be moving Adium to Oscar anymore, though Adium 2.0 will supposedly bring some exciting new features...
http://64.90.168.102/forum.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules