Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Trash WON'T Empty

Trash WON'T Empty
Jank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 12:01 AM

Hello everyone...

My system has been work flawlessly since the day I got it (around 3 months ago) and all the sudden I cannot empty the Trash. Here's what happens... I can put any type of file in the Trash but when I go to empty it the only thing that happens is Finder re-launches and my Trash still has stuff in it. I can get it to empty uing Onyx and its secure empty script but nothing else seems to work.

Now I'm sure this has something to do with it... but when I got home from work today I did my weekly check for Apple software updates and noticed there was the Security Update 2006-007 for Intel, so I told the system to update it self and it got all the way to 75% installed and then quit saying there were installation errors and to try the install again. So I tried a couple more times but it still didn't work, and after the 3rd time I trashed the .pkg file and then went to empty the trash and BAM I get the trash problem I mentioned above.

So does anybody have any ideas?
System: MacBook Pro 15" | 2.6GHz C2D | 4GB's of Sheep

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 01:09 PM

Hmm, the first thing I'd suggest is probably the most obvious: try repairing permissions on your disk and then re-installing the update. If that doesn't help, I'd suggest a re-installation of the the 10.4.8 combo updater, assuming your system came with 10.4.7 or older. And if nothing else works, you may be stuck with an archive-and-reinstall.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Jank  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the info TheoCryst... the funny thing is that I tried repairing the permissions right after posting and it wouldn't fix the problem, but when I got home from work thoday I figured I would try it again and this time it worked.

I did figure out though that the Security-Update 2006-007 was the culprate. I tried installing the update again and it errored out again right around the 75% mark and after that my Trash quit emptying, so I don't know what the issue it but my system doesn't like the new update.
System: MacBook Pro 15" | 2.6GHz C2D | 4GB's of Sheep

Chinasaur
Senior User
Dec 2, 2006, 04:21 PM

Get Onyx from MacUpdate: Macintosh Software & Games. It has all the system goodness you'll need. Including "force empty trash".
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

sirosisofliver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 08:34 PM

I have had problems with the install of the Security Update 2006-007. I repaired permissions first, then installed. Took ten minutes to reboot. AFter that, very, very slow running...tried to use disk utility, now won't boot up. Tried disk utility again, and said I have a volume error, length error. Crap....archive and install wont work, am I hosed?
12" PB, Rev B

sirosisofliver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 08:35 PM

I have had problems with the install of the Security Update 2006-007. I repaired permissions first, then installed. Took ten minutes to reboot. AFter that, very, very slow running...tried to use disk utility, now won't boot up. Tried disk utility again, and said I have a volume error, length error. Crap....archive and install wont work, am I hosed? The inablility to boot came after trying to reinstall the security update...it works..no one can get in..lol...
12" PB, Rev B

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 03:28 AM

This is a long shot, but try Secure Emtpy Trash from the Finder menu.

This has worked for me when I get some error message telling me some item was in use and it would not empty the trash.

Good luck.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2006, 05:50 PM

I am having the same problem on my MB now. Should I repair permissions? I did secure empty and regular empty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules