Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > macintosh IIci functions

macintosh IIci functions
simmikins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2003, 10:15 AM

Hi, I got a MacIIci in good working condition complete with screen mouse and keyboard, and the OS is 7.5. Built-in memory is 20,480 K, which I think means 20 megs, with a Quantum 80 meg HD. I never owned a mac before, and like it very much. I can't use it to websurf, so my pentium 3 500 must do that, but the mac keyboard is much better than a pc one and is great for spending a lot of time working on typing manuscripts with the included Microsoft Word 6.0.1 for MacIntosh. Absolutely wonderful combination.

Trouble is, the previous owner deleted a lot of stuff before selling it. Whenever I put in a minifloppy disk (that is, a 3.5" disc) with a downloaded copy of Stuffit, or the Sigma Chess 4.0 lite, and click on it, it invariably tries to open it with adobe acrobat 2.0.

It also gets some gliches with putting in the minifloppies, which if I click on 'eject disk' it may sometimes immediately give me a mssg to put it back in and lock up. I can't copy files from one minifloppy to another, or it goes into cycles of telling me to 'put in this disk', then immediately I do that it ejects it and says 'put in that disk', then the other one, back and forth, so I have to use the P3 500 to copy minifloppies. And, of course, I am totally unfamiliar with macs.

Having fun and a little perplexed and hope to hear back from anyone.

Roland

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2003, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by simmikins:
Hi, I got a MacIIci in good working condition complete with screen mouse and keyboard, and the OS is 7.5. Built-in memory is 20,480 K, which I think means 20 megs, with a Quantum 80 meg HD. I never owned a mac before, and like it very much.
Hey, it's great that there's a new Mac user around. And it's great that you're happy with a Mac from the early 90s. That's actually a pretty decent configuration, especially the 80MB HD.

[SNIP]

Trouble is, the previous owner deleted a lot of stuff before selling it. Whenever I put in a minifloppy disk (that is, a 3.5" disc) with a downloaded copy of Stuffit, or the Sigma Chess 4.0 lite, and click on it, it invariably tries to open it with adobe acrobat 2.0.
The copy of Stuffit that you have could be too new to run on OS 7.5. Or you may have a copy of Stuffit which needs to be expanded by Stuffit in order to run. Often times the Mac attempts to open unknown binary files with Acrobat for some odd reason.

It also gets some gliches with putting in the minifloppies, which if I click on 'eject disk' it may sometimes immediately give me a mssg to put it back in and lock up. I can't copy files from one minifloppy to another, or it goes into cycles of telling me to 'put in this disk', then immediately I do that it ejects it and says 'put in that disk', then the other one, back and forth, so I have to use the P3 500 to copy minifloppies. And, of course, I am totally unfamiliar with macs.
The proper way to eject a floppy disk on the Mac is actually to drag it to the trash! If you choose Eject Floppy, you'll be left with a ghost image of the floppy. Any time you do anything with that ghost image it will request the floppy again. It shouldn't be crashing when you put the disk back in. The upshot is there's no reason to copy floppies in this manner anyway. When you want to copy a floppy, simply copy it to your hard drive and then to the new floppy. First drag the source floppy to the hard drive or the hard drive's open window. It will create a folder with the name of the disk and its contents. Then eject the first floppy, insert the second and drag the contents of the folder to the floppy.

Hope this helps!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

simmikins  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2003, 10:15 AM

Hi, dragging a floppy to the trash seems unusual, but it worked! Thanks! I also set it up to quack ever fifteen minutes and quack out the hours whenever it's on, which my wife thinks is incredibly cute, plus she adores the kitty wallpaper desktop theme. In fact, I found I had a 'darkside' screen saver, which works manually, with a cat chasing a butterfly theme, but that's something that I can't get it to kick in automatically; I can activate it manually, but it just won't do it on it's own.

I also discovered that the mac has Compact Pro 1.5, which tells how
to unpack the same kind of file as the Sigma chess v4. However, the
80 meg hard drive is so full it wants me to delete something before I
can install anything. I have another older mac with an integral built-in screen that the screen is bad, and a neighbor has another older Mac of similar vintage, which works. I wonder if there is a way to add the other hard drives, one or both, to my MacIIci. Lifting the case on the MacIIci, I don't see a second place on the ribbon cable to add another hard drive, and it seems a little tight in there to fit another drive.

cheers,

Roland

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2003, 02:57 PM

http://www.pa.msu.edu/ftp/pub/mac/

Check here from some older Mac software, including StuffIt 3.5.3 or so...

Forum Links
Forum Rules