Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 512 MB or 768 MB?

512 MB or 768 MB?
mysterio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2003, 04:21 AM

I have a 1 ghz 17 imac. I could either go for 512 MB for $40 (I am going through crucial since I have had good experiences with them) or is it really worth the extra $100 to go to 768 MB. I surf the internet, use itunes and iphoto, possibly imovie/idvd in the future and also games like RTCW etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2003, 06:23 AM

512MB of RAM should be enough however OS X loves RAM. I noticed a increase in performence after going from 512 to 768, however I do a lot of Photoshop, programming and more complex stuff.
If you can afford it, 768. If you'd rather save the money, 512 will be enough for what you do.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

mysterio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2003, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the info. If I wanted one of Apple's Genius people to take 2 crucial 512 mb chips (can you have them use 3rd party chips to install) and install them along with an internal bluetooth module, not counting the cost of the hardware what would the labor cost involved likely be?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2003, 06:49 PM

I'd recommend 768. I recently took my iMac from 384 to 1 GB and I've noticed a big difference.

JNG
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2003, 05:29 AM

I recommend 768. I doubt you'll ever sit around going "I have too much RAM! Wish I'd saved that money..."

mysterio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 06:06 AM

Thanks again for the info guys. What would it cost to get one of those genius guys to install a 512 mb chip in the non accessible slot (will they install 3rd party ram?).

Thanks
Mysterio

slider
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 07:55 AM

Well, the first commandment is "thou can not have to much ram, and the second is "never buy ram from apple" I think using iDVD and iMovie is a flag for more ram in any case. The thing is is that the more you have, the better OSX performs, not that you have to have it, but there is value.

I don't think the Apple guys will install the ram for you, but it couldn't hurt to ask. Try a CompUSA or other Apple authorized reseller in the phone book, I couldn't see it being more than $50, but probably closer to $30, but call around.

PTCooki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 11:38 AM

Apple will install ram for you. They installed mine.

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2003, 01:51 PM

just out of curiosity, where (online?) are you getting this ram from? i just got 512 mb for the user slot on my 1ghz imac and it was just over $100. i'd be interested to hear where you can get it for half the price..

(you are looking for the correct ram? the 1ghz machines use different ram to the other flat-panels, hence the increase in price..)

-Mark

Paul Stephen C.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 06:41 PM

Two points from experience:

Get as much RAM as you can afford - it's the most cost effective way of improving your iMac's performance.

IMHO buy Apple RAM. You get what you pay for, and I've been really happy with Apple support.

(But I've had very good deals from Crucial).

All the best.
"The best lack all conviction,
while the worst are filled with a
passionate intensity" (Lou
Reed's version of a Yeats quote)

slider
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 07:39 PM

Buy ram from Apple? What? Well look at mister money bags

I have not lost support because I did not use ram from Apple. I just had my iBook 466 worked on recently and they had no problems with the fact that not only did I not have Apple ram, but that I had a 512 chip in there. Most memory dealers (crucial being one of them) guarantee that their ram with work and is often warranty by them for life. There was some issue awhile back were some firmware update made thrid party ram unusable, I think almost all the distributers were willing to swap this out with ram that worked just fine. Apple ram is just too expensive.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 05:29 AM

Where are these prices coming from? I got a 512 stick from OWC for $55. For my iMac G4 no doubt.

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Jasoco:
Where are these prices coming from? I got a 512 stick from OWC for $55. For my iMac G4 no doubt.
from otherworldcomputing.com :
512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz 200 Pin Low-Profile 1.25" BGA Memory Upgrade

for Apple iMac G4/1GHz and PowerBook G4 12" Models.

New, Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty. (OWC2100DDRSO512)

$95.99

--

There are two versions of the iMac Flat Panel with 17in screen, and they use different RAM. The early iMac 17" uses the SDRAM, and models sold after Feb. 4, 2003 (ie, 1GHz models) use the DDR SDRAM type. DDR SDRAM is more expensive than SDRAM.

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Mark E:
from otherworldcomputing.com :
512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz 200 Pin Low-Profile 1.25" BGA Memory Upgrade

for Apple iMac G4/1GHz and PowerBook G4 12" Models.

New, Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty. (OWC2100DDRSO512)

$95.99

--

There are two versions of the iMac Flat Panel with 17in screen, and they use different RAM. The early iMac 17" uses the SDRAM, and models sold after Feb. 4, 2003 (ie, 1GHz models) use the DDR SDRAM type. DDR SDRAM is more expensive than SDRAM.
I have seen that. The price really went up after I bought it. I'm surprised. I got the User-servicable version. It was $55 at the time and had the same deal. Lifetime Warranty and everything. I am so glad I got it when I did. I just wish I could replace the other stick myself, or I'd have it up to 1Gig already.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2003, 06:13 AM

Memory prices haven't gone up. Your 800-megahertz iMac uses PC-133 SDRAM. The new iMacs use PC-2100 DDR-SDRAM. DDR-SDRAM is more expensive than SDRAM.

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2003, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Memory prices haven't gone up. Your 800-megahertz iMac uses PC-133 SDRAM. The new iMacs use PC-2100 DDR-SDRAM. DDR-SDRAM is more expensive than SDRAM.
that's what i had been saying.. i dunno what systems these guys have.

the user-slot 512mb DDR-SDRAM chips have been at $100 or so for about 6 weeks, cos i ordered mine then and the price has stayed at that level since.

-Mark

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Paul Stephen C.:
IMHO buy Apple RAM. You get what you pay for, and I've been really happy with Apple support.

(But I've had very good deals from Crucial).

In my DP800, Apple used Crucial (Micron) memory. I know what you mean, though. Sometimes it's easier to use Apple memory and rest easy. I've purchased cheap memory in the past which went flukey. I've settled on the in-between and always purchase from Crucial.

On topic--768MB.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules