Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Trouble with Halo for Mac

Trouble with Halo for Mac
DemianTH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 08:45 PM

I just Installed Halo for Mac. But.. I got some serious problem with it. I have updated Halo t0 1.05, 1.5.1, and other updates. Halo won't run. It starts up, and then quickly quits... it only displays the Halo Logo and that's that. It has it's CD key correctly inserted, the CD in, the video properties dialogue appears. After I click OK the Halo logo appears, but quits instantly.
I have reinstalled Halo several times, tried multiple updates, and keeps having this damn problem.
The Hardware requirements are met successfully:
PowerBook G4 1.33 Ghz
768 MB RAM
NVidia GeForce Go Fx5200 64Mb
Combo Drive
Mac OS X 10.3.8 with Classic Support
There's nothing problematic about the hardware. Anyone knows how to solve this problem?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 04:34 AM

Is there anything in your console log or crash logs?

DemianTH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
Is there anything in your console log or crash logs?

I don't even have a log!!!! it just crashes the moment the Halo logo appears. If I do have one tell me where could it be. Console has no comments about it either.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2005, 09:38 PM

Go into Apple System Profiler and hit the Logs tab, I think this is where application crash logs are.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

DemianTH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 03:04 PM

Sorry, ppl. It's not a crash. It just quits. No crash log. No crash warning. Just displays the logo and quits. Very wrong.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 03:46 PM

Have you tried changing the various video options in the initial dialog box that pops up? Can you see if there's a Halo folder being created in your Documents folder? Are preferences for Halo also getting saved in your Preferences directory (~/Library/Preferences)?

DemianTH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
Have you tried changing the various video options in the initial dialog box that pops up? Can you see if there's a Halo folder being created in your Documents folder? Are preferences for Halo also getting saved in your Preferences directory (~/Library/Preferences)?
Everything has been tried, checked. The preference thing is in place, the halo foder is in the document's folder too, i tired all combinations.

Nothing works.

Patching the game? I tried that also. Even w/o CD, it won't run.

Reinstalling? Doesn't work.
So what the hell's wrong?

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 16, 2005, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by DemianTH:

So what the hell's wrong?
Bungie is an evil company and they tricked you into buying their microsoft propaganda. You should have pirated it. ARRRRrrrr

Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 05:44 PM

i experienced the same problem. it's covered in the read me/instructions.

even after installing the latest update from the website, the application still quit.

from the install CD, you need to drag and drop (1) file into the Halo folder. read the instructions on which file to add.

it solved all my problems...and works like a charm now.

Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 05:47 PM

Here:

After installing Halo, I double click the game icon, the screen goes black and then returns to the desktop after a second. What's up?

The shaders folder is missing files, is missing altogether or is corrupt.

To fix this, copy the shaders folder from the CD into the Halo folder on your hard drive. If prompted that the shaders folder already exists, click "Replace."

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by Captain Egotist:
Bungie is an evil company and they tricked you into buying their microsoft propaganda. You should have pirated it. ARRRRrrrr
For your information, MacSoft is responsible for getting the Mac version ported from Gearbox's Windows version of Halo. Bungie is not responsible for the Mac or PC version of Halo. MacSoft has the publishing rights to the Mac version of Halo and they paid WestLake Interactive to port Halo to the Mac. Pirating the Mac version of Halo will only hurt MacSoft, not Bungie.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 18, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by MacGallant:
For your information, MacSoft is responsible for getting the Mac version ported from Gearbox's Windows version of Halo. Bungie is not responsible for the Mac or PC version of Halo. MacSoft has the publishing rights to the Mac version of Halo and they paid WestLake Interactive to port Halo to the Mac. Pirating the Mac version of Halo will only hurt MacSoft, not Bungie.
It still says bungie when I boot it up.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Captain Egotist:
It still says bungie when I boot it up.
That's because Bungie Studio/Microsoft licensed the game to Gearbox for the PC version and to MacSoft for the Mac version. You get the screen with the Bungie logo because they own the rights to the original game-- XBox version. MacSoft had to pay Bungie/Microsoft to get a license to publish Halo for the Mac and then paid Westlake Interactive to port the game from Gearbox's PC code.

Pirating the Mac version of Halo will cause loss of sales for MacSoft and will only hurt MacSoft. Bungie won't get hurt from pirating the Mac version of Halo, and the fact that they aren't even involved with the Mac anymore (they're exclusively XBox developers now!) WestLake Interactive are the programmers and MacSoft are the publishers.

MacSoft is a dedicated game company that served the Mac community for years now, go out and support them by buying their games!

'nuff said.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 09:26 PM

Bungie will be hurt if they recieve royalty's, but it will hurt macsoft a lot more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules