Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > need iMac help

need iMac help
CityGuy2003
Oct 23, 2001, 07:46 PM

a couple of months ago i bought a new apple pro keyboard...i got my iMac just before they started shipping with pro keyboard...

the iMac has 9.0 as the version of the OS on it...

the keyboard came with an update CD to 9.1 but for some reason its not letting me update...any ideas why??

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2001, 08:51 PM

hmm...is it giving you a message?

<CityGuy2003>
Oct 24, 2001, 08:13 AM

no its not...
i put the cd in the drive, open it up, open up "upgrade to Mac 0S 9.1"...
then a little dialog box comes up that asks me to select the drive i wish to install on...i select the hard drive "macintosh hd" but it wont let me continue and it doesnt give any message as to why...
i have tried to switch the startup disk to the cd but i cant because i get a message that there is no system folder on the disk

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 09:45 AM

Did you boot up off the cd?

<CityGuy2003>
Oct 24, 2001, 11:58 AM

i tried...it refuses to boot from the cd...unless im doing it incorretly

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2001, 12:15 PM

Is this a Apple update CD? Did you buy the keyboard from Apple or a wholesaler? It could be that the CD is just a downloaded 9.1 update that was burned onto a disk...in which case you wouldn't be able to boot from it.

Xyber: Isn't it somewhat odd for a keyboard to ship with a Update CD? I don't ever remember Apple bundling a CD with keyboards.

clash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2001, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by iKevin:
<STRONG>Is this a Apple update CD? Did you buy the keyboard from Apple or a wholesaler? It could be that the CD is just a downloaded 9.1 update that was burned onto a disk...in which case you wouldn't be able to boot from it.

Xyber: Isn't it somewhat odd for a keyboard to ship with a Update CD? I don't ever remember Apple bundling a CD with keyboards.</STRONG>
I bought my pro keyboard and it comes with the 9.1 update cd. it worked fine but i upgraded from 9.0.4. the pro keyboard needs 9.1 to use the volume control/cd eject buttons.

clash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2001, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by &lt;CityGuy2003&gt;:
<STRONG>i tried...it refuses to boot from the cd...unless im doing it incorretly</STRONG>
the update cd is not bootable.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 01:39 PM

The keyboard and OS 9 update are bundled. I have never bought the keyboard so I do not know much about the CD bundled. Do you have a fast internet connection? You can just download the 9.1 or 9.2 updates.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2001, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by clash:
<STRONG>

I bought my pro keyboard and it comes with the 9.1 update cd. it worked fine but i upgraded from 9.0.4. the pro keyboard needs 9.1 to use the volume control/cd eject buttons.</STRONG>
No way! I have the pro keyboard that shipped with my G4, and it worked under the 9.04 install that was preloaded on the G4...it's *possible* that the G4 9.04 install had a funky keyboard extension that other 9.04 installs didn't get, but - my pro keyboard volume and eject keys work in 9.04.

Hold down the C key when booting, or hold down the option key.

You OUGHT to be able to boot from the CD.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 03:17 PM

The 9.1 update CD is not bootable. I think. Not sure...
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

CityGuy2003  (op)
Oct 24, 2001, 06:56 PM

thanks for all the help! yes, the cd did come with the keyboard which was purchased from the apple store @ tyson's corner here in northern VA...

the cd says 9.1 update, its definetly an apple cd...

there is another thing which i find unusual... i opened up the cd, proceeded to open up the file labled "english" i then opened up the simple text document which says "read before you install" or some such...and really gave me no help because it says "boot from the cd"...anyway...after i opened the file--and until i closed it--the menu bar @ the top of the screen changed from english to spanish...the same thing happened when i opend up "upgrade to mac os 9.1" the dialog box buttons were in spanish...as were the buttons on the help dialogs....

this certainly doesnt seem normal and its only happened with the one disc...

any thoughts? would the keyboard work just by upgrading to 9.0.4? because i could just download that update instead of the whole .1 update...maybe i should just download the whole thing...

thanks

clash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2001, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>

No way! I have the pro keyboard that shipped with my G4, and it worked under the 9.04 install that was preloaded on the G4...it's *possible* that the G4 9.04 install had a funky keyboard extension that other 9.04 installs didn't get, but - my pro keyboard volume and eject keys work in 9.04.

Hold down the C key when booting, or hold down the option key.

You OUGHT to be able to boot from the CD.</STRONG>
I had 9.0.4 installed on my g4 400 AGP and the "new" keys wouldn't work, it may be because my mac came with the mini keyboard and the drivers didn't exist for the pro yet??(just guessing)

As for the CD, I don't even see a system folder when I look at it from the desktop. I can't reboot right now, but as soon as I can I'll check again to try and start from it. It does say to boot from the CD if possible, I wonder if they just forgot to put a system folder on the disc??

clash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2001, 01:39 AM

cd is not bootable, does not allow you to select it in the Startup Disk control panel, and will not start by pressing "c". I can only suggest taking smaller steps. (9.0.4-&gt;9.1)

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: clash ]

<CityGuy2003>
Oct 25, 2001, 08:12 AM

im getting kind of interested as to why the cd is not bootable... i think what i will do is download the 9.0.4 upgrade and then try again...

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2001, 01:47 PM

It is easier just to download the update. Then you wont be frustrated .

Forum Links
Forum Rules