Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > AirPort Standard

AirPort Standard
CityGuy2003
Aug 20, 2001, 10:08 AM

If Apple really thinks that the AirPort wireless network is the way of the future they should include the AirPort card standard in all machines, not have it available as a $99 add on.

What do you think?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2001, 10:37 AM

ER, no.

For Airport to work, you must have a basestation and a client.

the basestation must be wired to the internet connection.

(This is true whether it's a software basestation or a hardware stand-alone.)

If you buy a single computer, and it's your first, do you really want to pay extra for something you may well never use? Of course not.

The goal is making the entry level computers more affordable, not less.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

CityGuy2003  (op)
Aug 20, 2001, 11:38 AM

I understand that, maybe it should not be standard on the desktops, but it should at least be standard on the laptops...

I dont know for sure, but it would seem to make sense to me...if you really want wireless home networks, etc. to catch on you make it standard

FormerLurker
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2001, 11:45 AM

With Software Base Station, you don't need the $299 base station if you have more than one Mac, and one of them is "wired" to the Internet through phone line or Ethernet.

It would be a nice marketing coup for Apple to say "All machines now wireless-ready, out of the box", but I don't think it will happen. Unless they put it on the motherboard (like FireWire & Ethernet), it's just too expensive to justify, especially since probably less than half of the buyers would be using it.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2001, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by CityGuy2003:
<STRONG>I understand that, maybe it should not be standard on the desktops, but it should at least be standard on the laptops...

I dont know for sure, but it would seem to make sense to me...if you really want wireless home networks, etc. to catch on you make it standard</STRONG>
MAYBE you have something, but remember, Airport only works if you buy something additional, like a second computer with airport card, or an Airport (or equivalent from other manufacturer) basestation. For users where the Mac is their only computer, or users who will only use the wired connection (see the dorm room example below) forcing a higher price for something that won't get used is suicide. Macs already get crucified for what seem like higher prices (even if TCO is lower).

I like the notion of being able to buy a student a laptop, that will be plugged in to the dorm ethernet port, and not having to spend more money because it comes with an airport card that won't get used. Keeping it as an option is a good thing.

I have airport installed in my home, using a techworks basestation and a few farallon and lucent orinoco cards, in both PCs and Macs. Airport has already caught on because Apple made such a good effort at showing its usefulness. People get angry when they can't get a lower price and buy something with functionality they can't use until they spend more money. Perhaps if Apple sold everything the way they do now, but also sold a bundled Airport Kit, they might make airport more attractive. If they sold a PC software application that could configure the Apple basestation, they might have an easy way to get more PC users to spend money on Apple products, and give Apple a second look. (currently there is a Java app called Karlbridge that allows linux and windows users to config an Apple basestation. If Apple did such a thing and made the interface easy and beautiful to set up, there'd be an extra influx of business from people outside the traditional Apple market.)
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2001, 12:04 PM

Transferring this thread to the AirPort and Networking forum ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules