Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I missed the POWER KEY ... ...

I missed the POWER KEY ... ...
Pikachu_G4e�
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2001, 02:46 AM

Hi there,

Since Apple Introduced the Power-Keyless Pro Keyboard that accompany the Pro Mouse, I didn't care too much. By that time, I still use my trusty old Apple Keyboard. However, i just switch to the new PowerMac G4 and I feel it is troublesome. The small "debugger" was gone, the force-restart key was also gone. Apple made a small "PC-reset key"-like restart key on the G4 . Why? Any experience from you? Thank you.

???

Best regards from,
Tan Li Kang

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: Pikachu_G4e™ ]

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: Pikachu_G4e� ]
Come join me at macgo.net for more Mac-related discussions! ;)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2001, 03:01 AM

Beats me. I guess they did it because the power key didn't work if the keyboard was plugged into a hub, or something. Or perhaps they think we never will put the machine to sleep with X. Regardless of these things, the power key was a nice feature, and I wish they would bring this feature back.

Also, the removal of the eject button on the CD-ROM drive is just plain idiotic. How do you stick a CD in there right after you turn on the machine, in order to boot from the CD? I highly doubt that the keyboard eject button works when the operating system isn't loaded.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Jool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2001, 03:01 AM

Now all macusers have to crawl around on the floor trying to find the powerbutton like the PC users have done for years.
At work we have about 150 macs and on almost all G4's there are strange, dirty shoemarks just around the reset and power button :-)

/Jool

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2001, 03:35 AM

I think I heard that they took off the power button because they could not be officially compliant with the specifications of USB if they left it on. That's just what I heard, though.

Pikachu_G4e�  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2001, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by dn15:
<STRONG>I think I heard that they took off the power button because they could not be officially compliant with the specifications of USB if they left it on. That's just what I heard, though.</STRONG>
Thanks for all replies, is there any third-party product that can bring a power key back for me? Can you help? Thank you.

Best regards from,
Tan Li Kang

Pikachu_G4e�  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2001, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
<STRONG>Also, the removal of the eject button on the CD-ROM drive is just plain idiotic. How do you stick a CD in there right after you turn on the machine, in order to boot from the CD? I highly doubt that the keyboard eject button works when the operating system isn't loaded.</STRONG>
Ya! I think the removal of the eject button is horibble, it's a nightmare to me! If one day I really can't stand it anymore, I will consider buying an external drive!!! Even the previoes series of G4 include a rather large button in the centre of the drive. By the way, If there are two optical drive, when you press the "idiot" Eject Key, which will come out??? Thanks for replies.

Best regards from,
Tan Li Kang

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2001, 09:04 AM

Control-eject brings up the shutdown alert.

I actually succeded in opening the dvd drive before the OS loaded in order to put in a CD.

Also, because Apple expects that you've bought a studio or cinema display, which have power buttons, there is no problem

I actually prefer the eject key personally. But I can see why, for many reasons it is not such a good idea to remove the button from the drive itself.

Someone should design a little power key that slots into one of the keyboard USB ports. That'd be neat.

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: firefly ]

Pikachu_G4e�  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2001, 10:30 AM

Hello,

Do you know how can I show up the Startup Disk Chooser Dialog when I startup the computer? What key should I press? Thank you.

Best regards from,
Tan Li Kang

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2001, 10:34 AM

hold down the option key while the machine boots.

have fun,
-r.

Pikachu_G4e�  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2001, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
<STRONG>hold down the option key while the machine boots.

have fun,
-r.</STRONG>
Thanks, will try soon

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2001, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Pikachu_G4e�:
<STRONG>Hi there,

Since Apple Introduced the Power-Keyless Pro Keyboard that accompany the Pro Mouse, I didn't care too much. By that time, I still use my trusty old Apple Keyboard. However, i just switch to the new PowerMac G4 and I feel it is troublesome. The small "debugger" was gone, the force-restart key was also gone. Apple made a small "PC-reset key"-like restart key on the G4 . Why? Any experience from you? Thank you.

???

Best regards from,
Tan Li Kang

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: Pikachu_G4e� ]

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: Pikachu_G4e� ]</STRONG>
I agree with you. I miss that key!

Apple is turning into microsoft. now they have right button click support!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2001, 01:20 PM

The general consensus concerning the absence of the traditional power key is that the feature didn't work reliably with third party keyboards and/or hubs, so Apple thought a better solution would be the ADC power method. And while that has its charms, the power key is much more elegant, in my opinion. I don't think the power key is gone, however, and I'll tell you why.

Apple has had a long history of changing the power, reset and interrupt interfaces. (Btw, there is nothing new about the triangle and wavy iconic reset and interrupt switches - they are as old as the Mac itself.) The Macintosh II started the power key on keyboard concept. The Macintosh II was the original color capable Macintosh, and since it cost a pretty penny when it was introduced, it got the "high end" feature of the power key on keyboard. (The other IIs - ci, cx, fx, etc. models shared this feature.) These machines had reset and interrupt buttons on the front of their cases. Additionally, there was always the power button (not switch, button) on the back of the machines. The back power button would remain a consistent on-off mechanism for all desktops, but I've only really used it when I have had no access to a soft keyboard reset.

On the other hand, the compact, original Macs were all turned on through a power switch in the back. And their reset and interrupt buttons had to be manually installed on the side. (For reference, these machines are the original 128k-Macintosh SE-30, at least.)

My Macintosh LC was definitely a strange bird. The LC (low cost color capable) had a power switch on the back and no reset/interrupt switches fixed on the hardware. In order to invoke a reset or interrupt, one would use the command, control, power key or command power key combos. Other than invoking a soft reset or an interrupt, the keyboard power key did not function. (For sake of historical perspective, the command, control, power key combo dates back to at least the Apple II GS, but it didn't resurface until the LC.)

Okay, now to the Quadras. The Quadras had reset and interrupt on their boxes, and they powered up through the keyboard. The command, control, power and command power combos did not work with these machines, however, although I was once told the gestures did function if the system software were upgraded to OS 7.5 or up. I'm not really sure on that one.

The G1 PowerMacs (6100, 7100, 8100) did not have reset and interrupt buttons. They did startup with the power key and had the functioning three finger combos. My memory is worst with these machines because of all the Macs ever produced, I really didn't use these much at all.

The G2s (603s and 604s) did not have hardware reset and interrupt buttons; they powered through the keyboard and used the three finger combos. The G3s were the same way, which of course brings us up to the present.

Oh, I forgot one major nice feature that came about not too long ago: the Shut Down dialog prompted by the power key. I don't believe this was introduced before Mac OS 8, but I use it all the time. On my 8600, I use the feature, but unfortunately new desktops have lost the capability as a result of not having the power key. However, I'm always charmed by the OS X Shut Down dialog that I get when I press the power key on my iBook. So we know the feature still exists and in Aqua style, too!

I've been up all night, so perhaps no one found the above useful, but I had fun writing it. My point to all of this is, of all of the hardware features that Apple has employed over the years, the power on method has been the most likely to change - again and again and again. It switches back and forth between hardware buttons, switches and the keyboard; if history is any predictor of future events (we know it is), then I think we'll see the keyboard power button come back really soon. Perhaps in the next revision. Enough people want it back, including me, so I'm sure it won't be too long. (Make sure to send Apple feedback - I believe they listen.) Just don't count on it staying consecutively for more than a few years.

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: Big Mac ]

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cipher13
Dec 22, 2001, 02:06 PM

I'm not switching from my original iMac keyboard until I find a decent one with a POWER KEY.

I don't care if I can control-eject for shutdown; what about startup? That's what I use it for; and getting into the debugger; and shutting down with one key is less effort.

If I got a QuickSilver I'd hook it up to this keyboard, and cut a hole in the front for the CD drive eject button. Seriously. Apple is stupid.

I hate the "pressing power on the monitor sleeps the computer" thing - sometimes I let my monitor sleep, sometimes I turn it off completely. It should be my choice.

I also have 2 IDE optical drives connected; both eject whenever I hit F12 in OSX... and of course, only one goes back in. Goddamn fools.

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2001, 05:48 PM

for all you guys who want to add a power key to your apple pro keyboard, follow this link.
http://www.usb-shop.com/apple8.html

I will be interested in hearing if it works very well.

lw

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2001, 07:23 PM

<STRONG>By the way, If there are two optical drive, when you press the "idiot" Eject Key, which will come out???</STRONG>
Answer: Both will come out! Brilliant interface feature, no?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Pikachu_G4e�  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2001, 09:30 PM

Thanks Big Mac (hope not from McDonald ),

Your facts are awesome , it is very useful, you can write a book with the facts there! By the way, my first mac was an LC 575 and it has the useful Power Key which I can just press the "Power Key-Enter" combo to Shut Down. Besides that the debugger can do much more than you expected. Besides the command-power key, to show up the Debugger, typing a "G" and press return will take you back (or saved you from a loop, infinite process). while, typing "G F" will works like Force Quit when Foce Quit doesn't works well. Even the Froce Restart is more useful then the reset button, at least you don't have to suck your big finger on to the small reset button on my Quick Silver . Anyway, hope Apple will bring it back soon. Thanks for all replies

Best regards from,
Tan Li Kang

CityGuy2003
Dec 22, 2001, 10:11 PM

The only reason that I can think of to justify getting rid of the keyboard power key is in anticipation of OS X. Since OS X is based on Unix��which designed to run for weeks/months without being turned off��Apple is expecting people to be turning their computers of less and less...if they need to put it to sleep they will use the button on the monitor...this is just a guess

<JoeG4Error>
Dec 22, 2001, 10:14 PM

Listen up bro.....

First, if you really want that damned power key, get an older USB keyboard, prior to the pro one.. Second.. why not get the money to have a REAL apple LCD, I love my cinema screen and would rather sell my machine than the monitor (just go to an older G4)

Btw: Holding space normally ejects any CD at startup, works for me

And once OS X startup loads, you can hit that eject key too

In OS X, F12 normally can do eject as well, that might be the second drive eject

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2001, 01:16 AM

<STRONG>Thanks Big Mac (hope not from McDonald ),

Your facts are awesome , it is very useful, you can write a book with the facts there! </STRONG>
Thank you for the compliments! Concerning my online moniker, it goes back a long way. The common misconception is that it refers to the McDonnald's hamburger - it does not. I'm not particularly fond of the Big Mac sandwich, actually. Some people wonder if I'm over-weight; my political views have caused others to wonder if I'm Rush Limbaugh (since he's big and into Macs). I agree with Rush politically, but I am not him, and I am not over-weight, either. I am just hugely into the Macintosh - Big Mac. Well, enough off topic speech for now. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cipher13
Dec 24, 2001, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by &lt;JoeG4Error&gt;:
<STRONG>Listen up bro.....

First, if you really want that damned power key, get an older USB keyboard, prior to the pro one.. Second.. why not get the money to have a REAL apple LCD, I love my cinema screen and would rather sell my machine than the monitor (just go to an older G4)

In OS X, F12 normally can do eject as well, that might be the second drive eject </STRONG>
Maybe we want an extended keyboard?
What if we cannot afford an LCD?
What if we do not LIKE LCD's?
Why pay for an Apple LCD when there are better ones for less?

Holding space does not eject a CD; it brings up the extension manager. Holding the MOUSE button down ejects a CD.

It is ****ing idiotic. And they'll never come back, because once gone, Steve would never admit his "mistake" by bringing them back.

<JoeG4Error>
Dec 24, 2001, 03:27 AM

Gotta admit, a few things are stupid.. but I still think the quicksilver looks much better without a cd key showing.. however, they could have always made it behind the cd drive cover, if you have any sense, you should be able to open that cover easily

Perhaps stick an eject drive button down at the bottom of the case (out of view, but accessible by a reach), that's hooked up to the MB

<JoeG4Error>
Dec 24, 2001, 03:51 AM

BTW...

Find a 22" wide screen (16:9) LCD that's better than the cinema display, and is cheaper as well...

Then I'll eat my hat

i gotta agree, the cheaper LCD's can look better than the 15" apple LCD, and even the 17" (Case wise.. the apple style is funny looking), but I;ve been using apple LCD's for a while now, and I'm very happy with mine.. the color is beautiful, no shadows, and none of those odd backlight effects you see on the pice of **** monitors.

And lemme put it like this, right now I'm laying on the sofa in the living room, enjoying the christmas shows, and talking to my mom. Yet I have a 22" monitor, and a G4.. the monitor's on the coffee table, Can't do that with any CRT., rofl

I admit, once you have a LCD, you'll never go back.. These are the reasons not to get any LCD tho:

1. You like to have a monitor that hurts your eyes
2. You don't use your computer more than 1 hour a day
3. You don't have a mac
4. You don't care if you were moving the monitor, fell by accident, the monitor blew up under ya.
5. You never worry about the CRT exploding from extreme temperature changes.
6. You've never looked at the inside of a TV, or a CRT display before.
7. You don't care if you'll be glasses thicker than any LCD in a few years.
8. You like disposing CRT's
9. You like monitors that flicker
10. You love how the glare reflects off the glass of a CRT (especially on trinitrons)
11. (BONUS) You hate works of art and beauty
12. (Bonus sig for lacie) You want a flimsy piece of crap that's as ugly as it looks

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2001, 05:31 AM

<STRONG>Listen up bro.....

In OS X, F12 normally can do eject as well, that might be the second drive eject </STRONG>
What if I already have an NEC LCD that works just fine? Should I spend the large sum of money that LCD monitors cost just to have a power key when previously all I had to have was an Apple keyboard?

Does the mouse at startup eject the tray if there isn't already a CD in there, so that I can put one in? Not that I'm aware of.

If your hard disk is trashed and you can't get X started so that you can use the eject key, how do you get an install CD in there to reformat and reinstall the OS from?

Cipher13
Dec 24, 2001, 05:57 AM

<STRONG>BTW...

Find a 22" wide screen (16:9) LCD that's better than the cinema display, and is cheaper as well...

Then I'll eat my hat

i gotta agree, the cheaper LCD's can look better than the 15" apple LCD, and even the 17" (Case wise.. the apple style is funny looking), but I;ve been using apple LCD's for a while now, and I'm very happy with mine.. the color is beautiful, no shadows, and none of those odd backlight effects you see on the pice of **** monitors.

And lemme put it like this, right now I'm laying on the sofa in the living room, enjoying the christmas shows, and talking to my mom. Yet I have a 22" monitor, and a G4.. the monitor's on the coffee table, Can't do that with any CRT., rofl

I admit, once you have a LCD, you'll never go back.. These are the reasons not to get any LCD tho:

1. You like to have a monitor that hurts your eyes
2. You don't use your computer more than 1 hour a day
3. You don't have a mac
4. You don't care if you were moving the monitor, fell by accident, the monitor blew up under ya.
5. You never worry about the CRT exploding from extreme temperature changes.
6. You've never looked at the inside of a TV, or a CRT display before.
7. You don't care if you'll be glasses thicker than any LCD in a few years.
8. You like disposing CRT's
9. You like monitors that flicker
10. You love how the glare reflects off the glass of a CRT (especially on trinitrons)
11. (BONUS) You hate works of art and beauty
12. (Bonus sig for lacie) You want a flimsy piece of crap that's as ugly as it looks</STRONG>
Actually, I constantly put my CRT on the mobile coffee table... haha... I'll admit I don't like doing it though

Desktop monitors aren't made to be moved, and if I had an LCD, I wouldn't move it any more than I do now.

1. Yeah, I'll admit that's one benefit of an LCD; though they hurt too in the dark. Both do. I wear sunglasses when on the comp (late at night anyway).

2. Well, what can I say? Here it's your opinion versus mine.

3. Uh... what does that have to do with ANYTHING at all?

4. Firstly, I rarely move it; secondly, I rarely fall; thirdly, it isn't that heavy; finally, chances are it wouldn't blow up anyway (yes I've smashed CRT's before and whatnot; dropping them doesn't usually make them implode.
Now, try falling with that Cinema Display in your hands; oops. You just blew $8000 (Aus). Even a pen going through it will screw it up entirely. LCD's are MUCh more fragile.

5. Uh, I don't worry about that anyway, and I live in one of the most climatically extreme (civilised) places on Earth... in Summer it's over 45��C, and in Winter it's below zero. Never had a problem, never will. And no, this room is not climate controlled in any way.

6. I love what they look like inside... so mechanical, so raw. And anyway. You don't see the inside!

7. Live in the now... and anyway. My eyes will be fine. They're not that bad... I'm just worried 'bout my wrists. Heh.

8. Uh... why dispose of them? If you get a new one, hook your old one up to another card... heh. And anyway, how hard is it to take it to the tip? You're really scratching for arguments here.

9. Your eyes adjust to flicker. I can see flicker at 120 Hz if I switch from something higher; if I leave my monitor at 1600*1200@60Hz after 10 mins you can't see the flicker anyway...
LCD's get interferred with greatly by electronic devices.

10. Not if it's decently positioned... and I'd rather that than not being able to see the screen AT ALL if the light gets on it...

11. My monitor is more beautiful than yours
I love the graphite and white look.

12. Yeah, well mine isn't a LaCie

Uh, got any more than one decent reason?

Here are some REAL reasons to use a CRT:

1. Much clearer at ANY resolution; sharper and none of this "pixel doubling" crap.

2. Much better colour, but everyone knows that...

3. Brighter/better contrast and better contrast/brightness control.

4. Much less fragile.

5. Eh. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2001, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>1. Yeah, I'll admit that's one benefit of an LCD; though they hurt too in the dark. Both do. I wear sunglasses when on the comp (late at night anyway).</STRONG>
there you have it, proof that cipher13 is in fact corey hart...

-r.

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: rjenkinson ]

SpeadFreek
Dec 24, 2001, 11:08 AM

These Apple secrets must NEVER be revealed, ok?

So you guys shouldn't be disclosing the keyboard / mouse combos to use during startup!

However, if you DO (heh, heh) choose to reveal such material...

...anybody got a link to a list of all the shortcuts (which, for some reason, Apple does not present comprehensively in manual or help)?

BTW:
Apple Help shows
� Nothing about holding down mouse button
� "Close all windows in the Finder. (Press the Option key until you see the Finder)"
&lt;&lt;which is not exactly what Cipher is describing&gt;&gt;

PS: anybody know why Apple is about as forthcoming with these details as it is with unreleased products?
PowerMac Dual G5
2.6GHz 1.5Gig 145GigDeskStar

mikerally
Senior User
Dec 24, 2001, 04:07 PM

Something that is really interesting about this, is that this issue doesn't affect iBook or Powerbook users.

The power key is still next to the keyboard.

If you're a iMac user, I think most of you keep the machine in arms length (how else can you read what is on the screen?), then it isn't much of an issue either as you can use the button on the machine.

"Ctrl+Eject", then "Enter" does the job for me these days for shutting down anyway, it's habitual for me, and I forget that the power key isn't even there.

I think the only real valid issue here is to do with turning the Power Macintosh G4 on. In which case that little $12 gizmo will work or an Apple Studio Display.

I think most people leave their desktops asleep these days anyway.
It is a little annoying, since it is a feature that we'd always make fun out PC users about.

Anyway, such a problem like this can be easily accomodated anyway, if you put your mind to it. I always set up my PC or Macintosh up so that I can get easy access to the main power button, regardless.

It looks like you guys really have to Think Different from now on ;-)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2001, 04:18 PM

I absolutely despise the Apple displays. Though they are definitely the most stylish LCD panels on the market, I often let my computer run tasks and turn off the monitor to save power and wear.

The eject button is retarded. Why can't they just be normal and use a hardware eject button like the rest of the world?

The keyboard touch isn't exactly the best, either. My MacAlly keyboard is the best-performing USB keyboard out there. It includes a power key. Though Unicomp PS/2 keyboards have the same touch as the original IBM keyboards, they'll have to be kept to my PC's only.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2001, 04:58 PM

Here's another good one.

Say you're burning a CD in your external FireWire CD-RW drive. Meanwhile, you decide you'd like to insert a CD-ROM into your internal DVD-ROM drive. You press the eject key on the keyboard to make the DVD-ROM's tray come out. What happens? It ejects the CD that's being burned in the CD-RW drive, resulting in a nice coaster.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2001, 10:38 PM

Makes me remember the old LC I had - when the Mac actually prompted you exactly as WIndows does -

"It is now safe to turn off your Macintosh"

We have come a long way, the computer is becoming more like an appliance. The power button acts like that on the front of a lot of TVs - if the TV is plugged in, the set is on standby (sleep) and all you have to do is press the touch panel or any remote key and it goes on instantly.

The problem is of course that if you hold it too long, it will 'unnaturally' shut down and may (very probably not though) damage your drive or computer.

Never do the sleep thing - if I ain't using it, it is running SETI, dnetc, or is just plain off. However I never turn off my PowerBook unless it's absolutely necessary - the date and time thing still bugs the bugger out of me.

Figured the ctrl-eject shutdown on the Pro Keyboard a while ago - I was majorly chuffed at that one.

But get some Eject keys - on or next to the drive it is relevant to! There ain't even an easy way to force eject on a QuickSilver. You have to open up the case and hook the paper clip in James Bond stylee. If it's gonna be an appliance - it gotta be a bit more obvious than that - especially with the amount of external stuff now.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Cipher13
Dec 25, 2001, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by SpeadFreek:
<STRONG>These Apple secrets must NEVER be revealed, ok?

So you guys shouldn't be disclosing the keyboard / mouse combos to use during startup!

However, if you DO (heh, heh) choose to reveal such material...

...anybody got a link to a list of all the shortcuts (which, for some reason, Apple does not present comprehensively in manual or help)?

BTW:
Apple Help shows
� Nothing about holding down mouse button
� "Close all windows in the Finder. (Press the Option key until you see the Finder)"
&lt;&lt;which is not exactly what Cipher is describing&gt;&gt;

PS: anybody know why Apple is about as forthcoming with these details as it is with unreleased products?</STRONG>
To close all windows in *any* app hold Apple-Option and press W. Easy
The same can be applied by clicking the close box or the collapse box while holding apple-option, and so forth.

Umm. Who's Cory Hart?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2001, 05:10 AM

Sunglasses at Night
<STRONG>I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can so I can
Watch you live and breathe your storylines

(And) I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can so I can
Keep track of the visions in my eyes

While she's deceiving me
It cuts my security (has)
She got control of me
I turn to her and say

Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades, oh no
Don't masquerade with the guy in shades, oh no
I can't believe it
You got it made with the guy in shades, oh no

(And) I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can so I can
Forget my name while you collect your claim

And I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can so I can
See the light that's right before my eyes

While she's deceiving me
She cuts my security (has)
She got control of me
I turn to her and say

Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades, oh no
Don't masquerade with the guy in shades, oh no
I can't believe it!
Don't be afraid of the guy in shades, oh no
It can't escape you
'Cause you got it made with the guy in shades, oh no

I said I wear my sunglasses
I wear my sunglasses at night
Wear my sunglasses at night...</STRONG>
corey hart... canadian pop star and heartthrob from the 80s.

-r.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2001, 05:14 AM

I miss it to but not enough to buy a whole new keyboard that I want is a left handed pro keyboard mm that would be great
Merry Christmas
REAL
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

slipjack
Senior User
Dec 25, 2001, 04:59 PM

Well, not being able to eject the CD is better than the Supermac.. it ejects on EVERY shutdown.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

<JoePC2001>
Dec 25, 2001, 09:30 PM

Don't make fun of my 22" monitor!!!!

I've loved it since the first time I saw one in a store , I got mine the day after the first time I saw one in real life... didn't take any deciding, and as I've seen, it's better than probably any other LCD.

(and it's a 2 year old design too)

Makes ya wonder doesn't it?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2001, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by slipjack:
<STRONG>Well, not being able to eject the CD is better than the Supermac.. it ejects on EVERY shutdown. </STRONG>
That's because the Supermac comes with CD-ROM ToolKit, and you apparently don't realize that it allows you to configure this behavior.

Cipher13
Dec 26, 2001, 08:41 PM

Hahaha!

I bet that guy doesn't actually do it though

My friends found it odd when they walked in the house one night (computer room is at the front of the house), to find me with no lights on at all, sitting back in the chair with sunglasses on... they just sorta looked at me... hehe.

Quite amusing indeed

Um. No retort about CRT vs. LCD? Come on, this is fun!

mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2001, 09:22 PM

Corey Hart made a song in the 80's--"Sunglasses at Night"

Mark
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2001, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Um. No retort about CRT vs. LCD? Come on, this is fun! </STRONG>
LCD's really are less hard on the eyes. You have to use one to realize just how much better they are. My eyes always used to burn when I used the computer for more than a few hours with a CRT. No problems since getting an LCD.

Pikachu_G4e�  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2001, 12:38 AM

Hi there,

My eyes just been burned staring at my Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX (a CRT Monitor) and it make tears on my eyes. However, if you have enough space in your house or whereever, you shouldn't get the LCD. CRT will always be better than LCD in term of quality and valuability.

Anyway, I just missed the two keys combo (Power key-Enter) to shut down the computer. Thanks for all replies

Best regards from,
Tan Li Kang

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Pikachu_G4e� ]

Cipher13
Dec 27, 2001, 12:46 AM

<STRONG>

LCD's really are less hard on the eyes. You have to use one to realize just how much better they are. My eyes always used to burn when I used the computer for more than a few hours with a CRT. No problems since getting an LCD.</STRONG>
I do; among the computers I run are 40 iBooks (toilet seats and ice books).

Nice, but... in a darkened room with full contrast, it's as painful as a CRT.

SpeadFreek
Dec 27, 2001, 09:13 AM

Um...
As long as we're sticking so close on-topic...
&lt;"How the Power-Key makes eyes burn" I believe&gt;
I could really go for the Cinema display to make my life a WHOLE lot easier
(not to mention more beautiful)...
Anybody see indications that it'll be updated (or is that "refreshed") soon by Apple?
(I'm with the guys that find LCDs SOOooo much easier on eyes.)
(and on the back when wife boots me off dining room table)
PowerMac Dual G5
2.6GHz 1.5Gig 145GigDeskStar

<racoonwkk>
Dec 27, 2001, 06:22 PM

The Datadesk company makes a ergonomic "Smart Board" that has the power switch built in. Its USB compatible and did not require me to load any software to make it work. Smalldog sells it for $59.00. If you dont mind the IBM type clickety keyboard feel. It starts up and closes down just like in the good old days. All with the push of a button. I dont use OS X and that may be a road block. My G4 works well so far.

Pikachu_G4e�  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2001, 11:20 AM

Hi again,

I just found out that the three-finger-force-restart isn't gone, you can still do it by replacing power-key with the eject-key . By the way, you can also use Apple Script and write the following :

tell application "Finder"
activate
shut down
end tell

Set a key from Keyboard's shortcut!
Ta-da!!! You'd just got a one-key shut down solution!!!

Thanks for all replies ... ...

Best regards from,
Tan Li Kang

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Pikachu_G4e� ]

Pikachu_G4e�  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2001, 12:12 PM

I also found out that the debugger still come out when I press the command-eject key combo!

Think differrent! Think again!

<John Prior>
Dec 31, 2001, 05:42 PM

You can get a third party power switch to use with Apple pro keyboards, its called onCue and is available from the
Dr Bott Online Store, 14.95 plus shipping

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2002, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by &lt;John Prior&gt;:
<STRONG>You can get a third party power switch to use with Apple pro keyboards, its called onCue and is available from the
Dr Bott Online Store, 14.95 plus shipping</STRONG>
Does it work with the newer Power Macs, such as the duals and the QuickSilver, with which the Pro Keyboard was included?

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 2, 2002, 04:38 AM

Hrm.. the old g3/g4 keyboard had a power key right?

Did it light up like the power key on the computer does?
I have quit MacNN effective at 5:00:00 PM, January 25, 2001.

Goodbye. (nobody banned me)

hayesk
Jan 2, 2002, 02:00 PM

<STRONG>
Also, the removal of the eject button on the CD-ROM drive is just plain idiotic. How do you stick a CD in there right after you turn on the machine, in order to boot from the CD? I highly doubt that the keyboard eject button works when the operating system isn't loaded.</STRONG>
No, but IIRC, holding down the mouse button should do it.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 05:05 PM

<STRONG>

Does it work with the newer Power Macs, such as the duals and the QuickSilver, with which the Pro Keyboard was included?</STRONG>
Should do, I've used original bondi style Apple keyboards on a lot of new stuff and it works, so I think this should be the same.

As witrh the new PowerBook, Apple might be looking at sharing the internal modem on the same USB bus (backwards step) on all the machines - so having an internal hub would be like having an external - the Power key wouldn't work.

Just a thought.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Forum Links
Forum Rules