Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 6 hard drives

6 hard drives
CityGuy2003
Oct 9, 2001, 09:24 AM

I was at the Apple Store yesterday salivating over the QuickSilver PowerMacs and talking with the Apple Rep. He opened up the case so I could take a look around and told me that he had one guy come in and tell him he had stacked 6 harddrives into his brand new QuickSilver, and he was thinking about adding two more...has anyone done something like this...?

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2001, 09:49 AM

The most drive I've ever had *inside* my Sawtooth is 6 - 1 DVD drive, 1 HD in the zip bay, two drives along the bottom of the case and another two on top of those.

There was enough room for several more. Don't know about for a QS though...

You'd need an additional controller card or two (ATA or SCSI), and it'd be a mess to get them all hooked up... not to mention powering them...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2001, 11:44 AM

Do you have a fire station nearby?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Nimisys
Banned
Oct 9, 2001, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>The most drive I've ever had *inside* my Sawtooth is 6 - 1 DVD drive, 1 HD in the zip bay, two drives along the bottom of the case and another two on top of those.

There was enough room for several more. Don't know about for a QS though...

You'd need an additional controller card or two (ATA or SCSI), and it'd be a mess to get them all hooked up... not to mention powering them...</STRONG>

you can aslo mount them sideways, or along the fold down panel...

as for hooking them up i recommend these:
Rounded Cables
sure you could make them yourself , but i doubt i would see many of you taking a razor blade to a 80pin cable and the seperating it into 5 wire chunks.

powering them shouldn't be a problem as most PS will do 10-12amps along the 12V lines, if that gets to much you could alwasy hook an additional power supply up to it (remove the casing though)

piston
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2001, 01:15 PM

I've got seven drives in a yosemite (Blue'n'White G3)... It's my primary server... It works like this:

- 4 drives in the bottom (i have two 60gb ide drives stacked in the back, 2 scsi in the other spaces on the bottom
- 1 drive under the cdrom drive in the zip bay, held in with a piece of gray packing foam between the bezel and the drive in the front (this is another 60gb ide drive)
- the cd-rom
- another drive mounted above the cdrom (another scsi drive) with velcro tape

It's a G3/450mhz, no heat problems. The IDE drives are all 5400 rpm, the scsi drives are all 10,000 rpm.
The following sentence
is true.

The previous sentence
is false.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2001, 06:07 PM

I remember someone showing how you can suspend one below the Zip bay using a few screws and some scrap metal, though I can't find the link.

Paul S
Senior User
Oct 10, 2001, 09:50 AM

For anyone crazy enough to try, you can fit 7 hard drives plus the CD in a Yosemite. The dual drive carrier in the back bay can also fit the front bay (I've moved mine there just to try it). It won't fit the middle bay because of the power cord bundle that connects to the logic board. You can buy the carriers at www.proline.com (click on the G4 link, for some reason, it's not listed under the G3 link). This gives you 2 in the back bay, one in the middle, 2 in the front, plus one in the zip bay, and one above the CD (Proline has a kit for this too). That's 7 hard drives. I'm not doing this, I've just spent some free time thinking of how I can max out my machine. Of course you'd need a SCSI or ATA controller card, but it would fit. Additional drive case fans might not be a bad idea either (www.startech.com).

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2001, 12:23 PM

For what it's worth I 4 hard drives in my 867. If you can get some cradles that would fit and the splitters I suppose it's possible. But, the dealer I bought the 867 refuses to install another internal hard drive, as he claims heat and or power supply problems might occur. Beats me, the 4 ide drives work fine as of now.

Exactly what is the wattage on the QuickSilver power supplies?????

Forum Links
Forum Rules