Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help Save Apple!

Help Save Apple!
nannie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2008, 01:53 PM

Help Save Apple!
I recently received a new replacement for an older imac by writing a serious letter about my perceived decline in the quality of apple products and my displeasure with the 'buy your warrantee' scam.

The email address worked, it was forwarded all over apple and I got rapid results.

Please let them hear from YOU too. I have a feeling that a petition would lead to a messy ending, so please copy and paste the following letter or even better, write your own because your circumstances and ideas will be different. I'm a drama queen. (please don't rant, rave or curse so you won't be dismissed as a potty mouth teenager)

If we forward this letter to every mac owner on earth, an incredible experiment of the internet in itself, a huge immoveable corporation will be forced to listen to the loyal users that made them. They sell a product. They need us. Do the math. people x $ = apple.

I signed the letter with my address and phone number.

Help Save Apple!

Send to: [email protected]

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

To Steve Jobs

Over the years loyal apple enthusiasts have made apple what it is today. The 'insanely great ideas' were compelling. Every innovation created bona fide improvements and capabilities. Your computers were something special. We also paid a high premium for a machine we trusted to provide genuine quality. We got it. They worked. I find it extremely disheartening that this is no longer the case. The last computer I owned that didn't require multiple repairs was a G3.

I am disappointed that your motivation appears to be to become mainstream and unveil a cute little gadget every year. They are very nifty, but you have abandoned your desktop users with very cool, second-rate computers for which we are obliged to BUY a warrantee to ensure we can use for three years. You weren't 'thinking different' when you jumped on that bandwagon. That's just not right.

I wish you'd spend some time in your garage thinking, to decide if you have ideals or just a huge corporation.

Sincerely,

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 01:54 PM

I can haz lameburger?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 01:55 PM

I don't think Apple needs your help. Apple will do just fine without it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 01:57 PM

You don't have to buy the warrantee — all Macs come with a one-year warrantee free of charge.

Also, since Apple's price points are more or less arbitrary, getting rid of Applecare would probably just mean that the next product refresh would cost an extra $200 or so.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by nannie View Post
Do the math. people x $ = apple.
I did, but all I get is oranges. What gives ?

-t

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 02:20 PM

So you make a giant leap by assuming that, having "serious" problems with your iMac, everybody else is having the same problems? I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Apple's quality and tech support have been rated #1 for the last seven years by Consumer Reports, and, in case you haven't noticed, people are switching to Apple products by the trainload, which they wouldn't be doing if there were quality issues. No one forces you to buy AppleCare either, although I do, and will, when I buy my new iMac shortly. My six year old iMac G4 800Mhz is working as good as the day I bought it, so I can, by your "logic," assume that all iMacs made in the last six years have been problem free, and thereby make the leap that your claim is fallacious. Please grow up and stop trying to start problems where none exist.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2008, 02:43 PM

My 6 year-old G4 hasn't skipped a beat in....well, six years.

Apple is Teh Doooomed!1!!!111!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 03:40 PM

Sometimes I hate the internet.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2008, 03:40 PM

No thanks, I don’t like canned pork.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 04:23 PM

You could've gotten two iMacs if you called them beleaguered.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 2, 2008, 06:50 PM

I wasn't aware that Apple needed my help..

Rumor
Jun 3, 2008, 12:02 AM

I have a 9 year old G4 Sawtooth that still caries on. Though, I need to replace a power supply bearing.

Then again, my less than year old MBP had hard drive failure a couple of months ago.

I suppose it is hit or miss.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 12:05 AM

I heard you can get a free Mac just for signing up for offers.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2008, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
I heard you can get a free Mac just for signing up for offers.
I heard you can get one just by making spam threads on MacNN.

(Seriously, why is this thread still open and the OP still not banned?)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2008, 02:01 AM

I'm guessing because it's a semi-valid petition and not a spam-offer?
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Jun 3, 2008 at 02:08 AM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 06:28 AM

I agree its semi-valid but since the OP hasn't returned, it makes it look more like spam. The only reason why he/she signed up was to promote this petition.

Cipher13
Jun 3, 2008, 07:49 AM

I have to say, Apple's quality has declined remarkably in recent years. It's a damn shame.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2008, 08:14 AM

I don't think the statistical quality of Apple products has declined. But since there are so many more Apple products sold today than 10 years ago that same percentage of goofs and failures that was sort of accepted then is seen as a decline. The numbers are higher, but the rate is probably virtually identical—if not lower.

So it's my belief that the success of Apple's marketing and product design, coupled with the fact that ANY manufacturing process will have a few problems and produce a few faulty products, makes it look like there's lower quality in those products when in actuality we're just seeing it more because we have more of those products.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 09:32 AM

I don't think the quality of the product has gone down, but I do think that the feeling at and about Apple has changed in recent years. I miss that sometimes. There are definitely lots of Mac users out there now, but I think it used to be the case that you could walk up to someone using a mac, even if you didn't know them and strike up a conversation. Macs have become more common place. That's not a bad thing, but sometimes I miss the old days.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 09:35 AM

Apple is smart enough, they will solve any given issue with creativity, lets say Apple displays suffered from uneven illumination and dead pixels… well, all it takes is to provide a new desktop picture with your newest OS iteration, here you go and say bye bye to uneven illumination, dead pixels, whatever… it rules when you cover both sides of the scenario, hardware and software

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 09:39 AM

O mods, this supplicant implores you in your mercy to deliverith the digital smack to the OP, for their petition is without merit.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules