Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iDVD gone -- Replaced by iShare

iDVD gone -- Replaced by iShare
Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2010, 07:08 PM

Rumors continue to swirl about the removal of iDVD from Apple's upcoming iLife 2011. As details continue to unfold, it looks like Apple is discontinuing iDVD as it's tied to DVD media only. Instead, Apple is going to introduce a new software application dubbed "iShare". iShare will be a new App that will simplify how iMovie, iTunes, iWeb and all other Apple apps share media between other Apple apps and people on the internet. I'm told that iShare is a groundbreaking new App in how it organizes and simplifies that data, pics, music and movies that we share with other people and most importantly, how the data is organized for the person sharing (so they can keep track of it).

Look forward to seeing it in person!
( Last edited by Eden Aurora; Oct 4, 2010 at 09:38 PM. )
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2010, 08:20 AM

I think getting rid of iDVD is a mistake. People will always burn DVD's (or Blu Ray). So long as you can rent a movie in that format, people will have DVD players. I was kind of hoping that iDVD would support Blu Ray. Now that would have been music to my ears.

iShare (if it does what you say) would be awesome. I would like a main hub to keep my sharing files organized.

Still bummed about iDVD though. Fact remains, if i want to share a HD movie with friends/family -- i like being able to give them a hard copy!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2010, 10:52 AM

Countdown to zealots telling Grean Leaf he's simply living his life wrong, hard media is dead, cuz they heard Steve say it in their mind.

Of course it would be (yet another) braindead scheme to abandon iDVD - but seeing how incredibly daft Apple is behaving regarding optical media these days (despite the reality that online media is a flop when it comes to paid movies or sharing and storing family moments) nothing surprises me anymore.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2010, 11:09 AM

Voodoo - I agree.
Storing and sharing family moments can't be linked to the internet.
If every TV was connected, it wouldn't be an issue. But most people don't have Apple TV's or other ways of getting media onto the den tv set. Hard media rules and will continue for the next 10 years.

They should keep iDVD and release iShare. Best of both worlds.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 11:24 AM

Do we know for sure that iShare will NOT allow burning DVDs ?

-t

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 11:31 AM

Of course not. We're talking about rumors.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2010, 11:31 AM

^^ Good point. Let’s not get over-excited about the demise of all DVD authoring apps without even knowing if this is the beginning of any such demise.

People will always burn DVD's (or Blu Ray).
People will also always record VHS tapes. Or at least some people will. Most others will have moved on by now, just like the majority of people I personally know have moved on from DVDs as well.

I can’t even remember the last time I used a DVD …

Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2010, 12:02 PM

if i have a 2 hour HD home video, how do i share that in full HD quality with friends and family. Goal is so they can watch on their den TV. internet streaming is not the answer yet.

in 10 years, get rid of DVD's.
Apple, don't jump too soon! we'll be stranded!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Green Leaf View Post
if i have a 2 hour HD home video, how do i share that in full HD quality with friends and family.
Invite them to your house!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2010, 12:15 PM

if i have a 2 hour HD home video, how do i share that in full HD quality with friends and family. Goal is so they can watch on their den TV. internet streaming is not the answer yet.

in 10 years, get rid of DVD's.
Apple, don't jump too soon! we'll be stranded!
I’d put it on a CF card or a USB stick, and give them that. Two hours in full HD is more than a regular DVD can contain anyway, so they’d have to have a Blu-Ray player … and most people I know who have Blu-Ray players also have dongle thingies to play content from various cards and things.

Then again, I’ve never been in the position of having any HD home videos I wanted to share in HD …

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I can’t even remember the last time I used a DVD …
So unless you're just torrenting movies or TV shows (which is PREPOSTEROUS, of course) ... then what? Do you just watch DR1?

Perhaps you're just not a guy who watches movies/TV-shows, but I digress.

So - how can you (or anyone) in the kingdom of Denmark watch movies or TV shows at their leasure? How can you own a copy?

You certainly can't use the Apple store. VOD through cable? It's a crutch, but with a miniscule selection compared to home video...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
So - how can you (or anyone) in the kingdom of Denmark watch movies or TV shows at their leasure? How can you own a copy?

You certainly can't use the Apple store. VOD through cable? It's a crutch, but with a miniscule selection compared to home video...
Ok, so let's differentiate:

I get my DVDs from Blockbuster or Netflix, and then rip them.

Therefore, I need a DVD drive, but not iMovie, because I will never burn those movies.

I would think that the majority of the users is in that camp.

-t

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Ok, so let's differentiate:

I get my DVDs from Blockbuster or Netflix, and then rip them.

Therefore, I need a DVD drive, but not iMovie, because I will never burn those movies.

I would think that the majority of the users is in that camp.

-t
yeah, but I wasn't referring to that, but the blanket statement of "I can’t even remember the last time I used a DVD …"

Clearly renting and ripping DVDs is 'using' a DVD.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2010, 01:44 PM

If this iShare app doesn't allow DVD authoring, there is a very good chance that Apple will ditch optical drives in the MacBook line soon. :/

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
If this iShare app doesn't allow DVD authoring, there is a very good chance that Apple will ditch optical drives in the MacBook line soon. :/
Hopefully the MBPs too - shed that useless size and weight.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2010, 02:03 PM

Well, I meant MacBook + MacBook Pro when I said MB line, since there's only 1 model of white MacBook now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 02:34 PM

Countdown to zealots telling Grean Leaf he's simply living his life wrong, hard media is dead, cuz they heard Steve say it in their mind.
I dunno about hearing voices, but I'm pretty sure that that funny smell is coming from the burning letter scrawled across your wall.

Add five years for Spain to any technology prognostication, but yep.

Of course it would be (yet another) braindead scheme to abandon iDVD
Given that iDVD hasn't really been updated in two years, and nobody really complains, I'm not sure how "braindead" that would be.

When is the last time YOU used iDVD, voodoo?

Knowing Apple, they'll continue to make it available via free download for owners of iLife 11, should its functionality NOT get rolled into "iShare" - whatever that may be, if it's real.

iLife IS missing a certain centralization - pretty much all iLife media show up in the media browsers of the other apps, but with the notable exception of iMovie (needs to have a preview rendered first).
but seeing how incredibly daft Apple is behaving regarding optical media these days (despite the reality that online media is a flop when it comes to paid movies or sharing and storing family moments) nothing surprises me anymore.
Total flop.

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Blu-ray, Digital Up As Video Sales Dip - 2010-07-19 17:46:05 | TWICE

First half of 2010.

Blu-ray revenue, both rental and sales: $982 million
Digital Downloads: $1.1 billion

Number of DVD Players sold: 8.7 million
Number of Blu-ray Players sold: Less than 2 million
Number of HDTVs sold: 8.5 million

Hmm..

After 4 years of Blu-ray, DVD players still outsells Blu-ray players by more than a factor of 4:1.

Digital downloads bring more revenue than Blu-ray.

Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2010, 03:12 PM

OISIN: If i have an HD video camera and i'm burning HD videos, of course i'm putting it on a blu-ray disk.

I see your point about saving it to a USB drive or something like that. But i can't take my iMovie footage, copy it to a USB and then stick it in my TV and watch.

If everyone in the country has a DVD player, it's smart to use that format.
Change will come, not here yet.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 03:19 PM

I see your point about saving it to a USB drive or something like that. But i can't take my iMovie footage, copy it to a USB and then stick it in my TV and watch.
Ah, but Apple now makes a $100 box that you can stream to!

Seriously - I think this stuff is starting to fall into place, a little bit. Apple have figured out what they need the AppleTV to be, and the scenario you describe is exactly it.

That doesn't take care of sending Auntie Doris a video of her grand-niece's second birthday yet, of course: For that, you're better off burning and sending a DVD.

Whatever happens, DVD burners will remain optional for quite some years to come - if perhaps as an external drive on the laptops.

I'd be surprised if we don't see an Apple Store BTO option to replace the internal optical with a second hard drive or SSD by 2012.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2010, 03:52 PM

So unless you're just torrenting movies or TV shows (which is PREPOSTEROUS, of course) ... then what? Do you just watch DR1?

Perhaps you're just not a guy who watches movies/TV-shows, but I digress.
Well … you’re right, actually. I’m a bad example, ’cause I never turn on my TV and only rarely watch movies. I guess usually the movies I watch have at some point been ripped from a DVD (or a Blu-Ray disc), that’s true. But I can’t remember the last time I personally used a DVD.

If I could switch out the optical drive in my MacBook for a FireWire 800 port (preferably with target mode reinstated, too), for example, I’d do it in a heartbeat. FW800 would be so much more useful to me than a DVD drive.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 04:01 PM

You could just get a MBPro instead.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2010, 04:14 PM

Yes, but then I’d have to buy it. Unless you have one you wish to donate, free of charge?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 04:46 PM

Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2010, 04:48 PM

So if iShare is going to be the hub of connecting, I can only assume the current 'share' tab built into iMovie, iPhoto etc will disappear. They question remains, when in iPhoto, you click "iShare" and then it launches a program called iShare? or would it be that iShare is built directly into each iLife app (replacing the share tab)?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 05:00 PM

I don't think there will be an iShare - whatever it might be called.

iDVD will be deprecated and left to languish for the fifteen people that still need it, and the other apps updated for better integration with social services/MobileMe/a revamped iWeb, and that'll probably be it (along with A4-only iOS versions, of course).

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I dunno about hearing voices, but I'm pretty sure that that funny smell is coming from the burning letter scrawled across your wall.
I've told you once and I'll tell you again, your ability of the english language isn't sufficient for you to try and make smart remarks without making you look stupid. Perhaps you should just write it in Prussian and we'll use Google-translate, mkay?
(besides, I wasn't actually referring to you, but well if the shoe fits.)

Add five years for Spain to any technology prognostication, but yep.
Ahahaha Prussian humor, it iz vondefull. How about Denmark, let's use digital downloads in Denmark, shall we? How about any other European countries except Germany, France and the UK? All technology backwards in your little mind? It's also telling and in many ways tragic that you consider something of immensely higher standard of quality to be 'inferior'.

This from a person delusional enough to claim there is a difference between an audio CD and a copy of said CD. But Apple hasn't got an official stance against CDs, so that's fine. Of course you come off as a fanboi when you blindly apologize, defend and advertize just about every dumb thing Apple does. -- Perhaps there are exceptions, but few and far between.

Given that iDVD hasn't really been updated in two years, and nobody really complains, I'm not sure how "braindead" that would be.
Why should it be updated? Is there something wrong with it? If Macs came with BD drives and it wasn't updated, well I don't think I need to see into the future like you claim to do, to know that people would *then* complain that iDVD wasn't being updated.

When is the last time YOU used iDVD, voodoo?
Last summer, when making a short film for a wedding party for my friends. When did you last download an American movie with actual spoken english in actual HD from the german Apple store? That's right, you never did, because you can't. Neither exists.

Total flop.
Yes total flop.
( Last edited by voodoo; Oct 6, 2010 at 03:31 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2010, 04:03 PM

Good evening, voodoo. I trust you're enjoying your beer?

Because I intend to enjoy mine when I get home.

Cheerio!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2010, 05:43 PM

Good evening, voodoo. I trust you're enjoying your beer?

Because I intend to enjoy mine when I get home.

Cheerio!
Good evening to you Spheric Harlot. I'm sure you're already home and cozy with a cold german beer. Enjoy!

Tootiloo!

Ham Sandwich
Oct 7, 2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
If it means increasing battery life to 24 hours, I'm 100% for it. I hate having to charge my computer's battery twice a day, much less twice a week. Imagine having to plug in your car twice a day.

*I hate car-computer analogies, but still it's a pain to spend 10% of my day worrying about battery life. So this makes sense.*

I like the move to iShare. That's what iLife should've been all about.

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2010, 01:13 PM

Almost 100% positive that the new product is going to be called "iShare HD".

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
I'm quoting this so we can nail you down on it.

Why on earth would they call it that?

To differentiate it from the regular old "iShare"?

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2010, 11:38 PM

I'm just glad Apple is going to be putting out some more tools to help inspire people to be creative... and hopefully they release some new icons that match the new iTunes one because currently my dock looks stupid.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I'm just glad Apple is going to be putting out some more tools to help inspire people to be creative... and hopefully they release some new icons that match the new iTunes one because currently my dock looks stupid.
Yeah wake me up when they add a BD drive to help me be creative. Making HD video is a sad joke on Apple equipment.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2010, 02:42 PM

Well, Final Cut Studio supports it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2010, 02:57 PM

Well, Final Cut Studio supports it.
True and no doubt there exists a DVD Player app inside Apple that already supports it and BD drives are easily bought/installed - everything is there.

Except the arbitrary decision of Steve. Thus I could, were I so inclined, buy a professional grade app from Apple with a professional pricetag, buy an external BD drive and make my own BD stored HD movies and use VLC to play them.... but asides from being cheaper just to buy a Peezoid it is an extremely expensive and convoluted way to do a simple thing that is essentially supported. Except not.

Setting aside these incredibly nice and capable new iMacs with their beautiful HD screen are only capable of playing upscaled blurry DVDs and low quality video (erroniously labled 'HD' by Apple and only available in 4 countries anyway) they're no good for normal people who have HD video capturing equipment (which is dime a dozen these days) and would like to edit and store it.

Guess the year of the HD was really just a year. Apple acts like it has ADD sometimes.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2010, 03:35 PM

Yeah wake me up when they add a BD drive to help me be creative. Making HD video is a sad joke on Apple equipment.
How does a blu-ray drive help you be creative? My hard drive has the capacity of 50 blu-ray discs. Does that make me 50 times more creative? I submit that the answer is no. Blu-ray has nothing to do with creativity.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
How does a blu-ray drive help you be creative? My hard drive has the capacity of 50 blu-ray discs. Does that make me 50 times more creative? I submit that the answer is no. Blu-ray has nothing to do with creativity.
Yeah, I'm not going to take my hard-drive so I can share my movies or store them. Now since I have no interest in storing anything of value on a drive that's rather expensive for what it does and can fail at any time (so I really need 2x hard-drives at any given time just to function) it really rather stiffles my creativie side.

I'd like to make an HD movie, edit it, burn it and store it (or share it). Simple? Having a large hard-drive doesn't help me at all in that process (except the editing bit).

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2010, 05:54 PM

You're confusing creativity with distribution. Blu-ray doesn't make you more creative. It only gives you a means to distribute your work.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
You're confusing creativity with distribution. Blu-ray doesn't make you more creative. It only gives you a means to distribute your work.
Not really, it's just that I see no point in "being creative" if the only audience is myself and anyone within reach of my Mac.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
I'm quoting this so we can nail you down on it.

Why on earth would they call it that?

To differentiate it from the regular old "iShare"?
I don't think there will be an iShare - whatever it might be called.

iDVD will be deprecated and left to languish for the fifteen people that still need it, and the other apps updated for better integration with social services/MobileMe/a revamped iWeb, and that'll probably be it (along with A4-only iOS versions, of course).
Doot-de-doo, Eden.

Enjoy your new application, as I'm sure voodoo is out there right now burning DVDs like a mother****er.

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2010, 08:13 AM

they must be building it into Lion.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2010, 08:24 AM

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules