Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What are the secrets to iPhone screen protectors? ...

What are the secrets to iPhone screen protectors? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2012, 08:26 AM

When placing a clear plastic screen protector on an iPhone, it seems like voodoo to accomplish any of these, let alone all of them.

A screen protector that is:

1. applied straight/even
2. doesn't peel at the edges
3. has no lint, bubbles, or 'schmutz' under it
4. looks decent, nice tactile feedback

So what am I missing here? is the secret buying the right brand of protector? The application itself? Both? ;-)

Thanks!
Chris

-Q-
Apr 30, 2012, 09:37 AM

In my experience, it's been both, and the access to a "clean room."

I've definitely had better luck with the higher quality screen protectors, but even then it's a bit of a trial and error process to get it attached.

abby
Apr 30, 2012, 02:52 PM

i agree with -Q-.

a lot of screen protectors are easily damaged. some are also thin and if you stick it, it has a lot of bubbles. i have tried a lot of screen protectors before and most of them are low/cheap quality. for me, it's important to consider the brand, quality, thickness, etc.
don't judge a book by its cover :p

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2012, 07:00 AM

I have tried to apply screen protectors to all sorts of devices, and despite all attempts to install them in the cleanest environment I can provide at home, and despite my most valiant attempts at carefully, patiently following the instructions to the letter, I've never gotten one "right." But the guy at Best Buy can slap them on perfectly in 5 minutes...right there in the middle of the store. If I get them, I leave them to experienced people to put on.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2012, 09:49 AM

Great to know Best Buy's good for something!

I've noticed the latest generation of screen protectors don't require any liquid applicator to be able to apply them without bubbles. I've found that if you read the directions and are careful they're not hard to apply, but I really don't bother with them anymore. I've never really had any iPhone screen problems. Sure, after a while there are light scratches on my 3GS for example, but I can't see them unless I look closely when it's off. I say as long as you're somewhat careful with your electronics, it's better to let your iPhone go naked.
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 1, 2012 at 09:55 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 1, 2012, 01:15 PM

Naked. Even though screen protectors have come with my cases I have never used them with 3 iPhones (v1, 3G, 4s) and an iPad. I am hard on the iPhones but have never had an issue with scratches.

Forum Links
Forum Rules