Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pic my Mac for me!

View Poll Results: Which Mac should I get?
Poll Options:
Power Mac G4 450MHz or better 19 votes (46.34%)
PowerBook G4 500MHz or better 19 votes (46.34%)
PowerBook G3 500MHz 1 votes (2.44%)
iBook G3 466MHz or better 1 votes (2.44%)
iMac G3 400MHz or better 1 votes (2.44%)
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll
Pic my Mac for me!
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2006, 10:22 PM

Hello all. Just wondering which Mac you think I should get. I will max out RAM on whatever I get. For the PowerBook G4 it will be a 500MHz or better, the PowerBook G3 would be 500MHz also, iBook G3 would be 466MHz or above, iMac would be 400MHz or above, and Power Mac G4 would be 450MHz or above. Thanks!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2006, 10:34 PM

a MacBook!
Signature depreciated.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 10:38 PM

well, do you need a laptop or a desktop?

If you can get by with a desktop, the Power Mac will let you stick a bunch of storage in there, plus add more RAM and upgrade the CPU, too, if you have the cash at some point down the road. It will just be better for Tiger/newer software in general. With any of them, though, you have to weigh the value of putting money into a computer now that will still be a ~5-year-old computer no matter what you add to it, and quite possibly won't run the software you need it to within a short time.

"I start fires!"

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2006, 10:51 PM

get the tower and upgrade it until it begs for mercy; upgrades (e.g. CPU) for G4 towers are quite cheap now

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 12:39 AM

It'd be helpful to know what you need it for...you've already got an iMac and a PBG4 it looks like, so what will this new machine be used for? Or are you just bored and have some extra cash and want a new Mac?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 03:21 AM

I'd go with either a Quicksilver Power Mac G4, or an iceBook. Why? Because I said so! And because they are both cool.

Then again, it depends what you want this computer for... A little more info would make this quite a bit easier.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 03:49 AM

none of the above, get a mac mini!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 05:40 AM

What are you going to use the machine for ? If it's just for fun, just wanting to own another one, then I would suggest to invest your money in something more usefull. Like a Firewire hard drive or something like that.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 17, 2006, 06:51 AM

All of the above would be an exercise in frustration. All would be painfully slow, and in fact, I consider any Mac with a G3 these days almost completely unusable. The niggling issues such as lack of USB 2.0 would also be very annoying. As moonmonkey says, get a Mac mini.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 09:38 AM

I'm prepared for slow, as my PowerBook is slow right now. I would like to mod and upgrade ( RAM, HD) whatever I get, paint it maybe, neon lights if its an iMac. I don't need USB 2.0 that much ( I just need FireWire). I will use it for lighter stuff like Entourage, Word, Keynote, Firefox, as an iTunes deposite site, iPhoto, and maybe occasional iTunes server. If it was a Power Mac G4, I would def. upgrade it and use it for more intensive stuff, maybe occasional Final Cut Pro. I don't need portability, but it would be nice to have though. And I'm not getting a Mac mini. I would like to spend under $250 if possible. This is basically to replace my barely alive PowerBook G4, and to replace my PowerBook 5300 which I still use almost every day.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 10:43 AM

I'd get a PowerMac G4. The G4s are pretty cheap these days. Easily under 200$. Forget about G3 machines unless it's only going to be a file server.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
I'm prepared for slow, as my PowerBook is slow right now. I would like to mod and upgrade ( RAM, HD) whatever I get, paint it maybe, neon lights if its an iMac. I don't need USB 2.0 that much ( I just need FireWire). I will use it for lighter stuff like Entourage, Word, Keynote, Firefox, as an iTunes deposite site, iPhoto, and maybe occasional iTunes server. If it was a Power Mac G4, I would def. upgrade it and use it for more intensive stuff, maybe occasional Final Cut Pro. I don't need portability, but it would be nice to have though. And I'm not getting a Mac mini. I would like to spend under $250 if possible. This is basically to replace my barely alive PowerBook G4, and to replace my PowerBook 5300 which I still use almost every day.
Well if you're looking to replace your notebooks, I'd suggest another notebook. For $250, a G4 Powerbook is about as good as you're going to do. Maybe try and sell your notebooks while they're still working.

wvx
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2006, 12:52 PM

I'm still using my Power Mac G4 digital audio 466, upgraded to 1 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, Tiger flies on it... use it for FCP and compositing and it's not slow at all. Great great computer to this day.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Well if you're looking to replace your notebooks, I'd suggest another notebook. For $250, a G4 Powerbook is about as good as you're going to do. Maybe try and sell your notebooks while they're still working.
I don't need to replace the portablility, I just need to have a computer that I can use besides the iMac G5, since I share the G5 with other family members. I just will use the G5 if I have to use FCP if I get a "new" Mac. I wasn't planning on dropping my PBG4 unfotunetly

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by wvx
I'm still using my Power Mac G4 digital audio 466, upgraded to 1 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, Tiger flies on it... use it for FCP and compositing and it's not slow at all. Great great computer to this day.
Thanks for the encouragement. It seems like unless anyone else says so, I'll be getting a Power Mac G4, but I'm still open to suggestions about anything else

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 02:02 PM

Look for a Sawtooth or Digital Audio G4 that someone has already upgraded. Upgrading a computer yourself is typically a money pit and it's impossible to get out of it what you put in, so take advantage of that and get a computer that somebody's already put a lot of $$$ into for less than they spent on it, IMHO.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 02:06 PM

Here's a perfect example
Just the CPU upgrade would run about $250, and he's got a 9800 Pro, 2 gigs of RAM, USB 2 card, good sized hard drive, and DVD burner. There's currently 7 hours left, and he wants $350 for it, but no one's bitten, even though it's a good deal. I'd say wait it out and contact him after the auction's over to see if he'll sell for less or relist it with a lower starting bid. Even if you paid his current price, you'd be saving a ton versus buying it all separately.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the link. Looks like there's a bid right now, maybe I'll jump in at the last minute if it doesn't go any higher.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 17, 2006, 07:56 PM

My prediction: $500+ for that Power Mac.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
My prediction: $500+ for that Power Mac.
Nope, $445. Well, $505 with shipping.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 03:52 PM

Yeah. I think I will maybe make a WTB soon in the Marketplace for Power Mac G4. Although there is just as many votes for a PowerBook G4. Anyone have any suggestions to make me get a PowerBook G4?

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 03:55 PM

If you're looking for cheap I just noticed on arstechnica that OWC has a sale on g3 ibooks .

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 06:02 PM

Max out a G4 Sawtooth. It'll last ya a bit longer.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Max out a G4 Sawtooth. It'll last ya a bit longer.
Already addressed that.
Originally Posted by Gossamer
Look for a Sawtooth or Digital Audio G4 that someone has already upgraded. Upgrading a computer yourself is typically a money pit and it's impossible to get out of it what you put in, so take advantage of that and get a computer that somebody's already put a lot of $$$ into for less than they spent on it, IMHO.
Upgrading it yourself is a money pit.

You also mentioned that you don't need portability, and a desktop of comparable specs will cost much less than a laptop, so I vote desktop.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 06:15 PM

Sorry, Guess my opinion was worthless.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Sorry, Guess my opinion was worthless.
Not worthless at all, just shot down. All opinions are worth something, and I enjoy hearing others opinions .

Forum Links
Forum Rules