Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bad creation dates

Bad creation dates
kevs
Mac Elite
May 22, 2019, 05:18 PM

I'm seeing in finder creation dates of 2040. Also, finder windows will not remember defaults I set.

Probably a waste of time posting this, but who knows. Very frustrated, with OS stability. Just got on Mojave last week.

reader50
Administrator
May 22, 2019, 07:35 PM

Presumably your system clock was off when those files were created. DiskWarrior or TTP might reset them to the current date - but only if you're using HFS+. They're not ready for APFS yet.

I've found Mojave to be stable, but the most finicky macOS yet. Some of that is because I'm running it on a marginally-supported machine. But that only explains some of the issues.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2019, 07:54 PM

Reader, so just let it go? Bad creation dates are just that point in time for those specific one with bad dates?

reader50
Administrator
May 22, 2019, 07:58 PM

Creation date doesn't usually break anything. If they're your own files, you could create a copy. Then delete the original. If it's system files, leave them as-is. Fooling with those are not worth the trouble.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2019, 02:52 PM

That does not make sense as the the 2040 creation date will go to 2019, and the real creation date is still unknown.

reader50
Administrator
May 23, 2019, 03:43 PM

Unless you have a time machine backup with the original creation date, there's no way to restore them. So setting it to today's date would be the only option. At least you wouldn't be staring at the future for the next 21 years.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2019, 03:59 PM

but just a hiccup of that one area on hardrive right?

P
May 27, 2019, 10:08 AM

Most likely the dates have been lost in a copy somewhere. Creation dates are not standard on all OSes and file systems (modification dates are the standard - the Mac supports both, and also access times, although that can be disabled). If you want to dig in to it, here is the list of supported features in a lot of different file systems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...f_file_systems
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules