Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone use Interarchy? Other FTP apps?

Anyone use Interarchy? Other FTP apps?
kevs
Mac Elite
May 10, 2018, 07:53 PM

Anyone else use Interachy? Whenever I email the main support/ developer, I get no reply. Very frustrating. Just seeing what others might do for support. Thanks.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2018, 04:45 PM

Are you talking about the FTP app? Which version are you running?

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/2747/interarchy
https://nolobe.com/interarchy/

Transmit looks like it's been updated more recently. I currently use Coda for FTP.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2018, 05:06 PM

Yes FTP app, forever on version 10

Never had good luck with other FTP clients.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2018, 05:28 PM

Well, their official @nolobe twitter is a ghost town... no posts since 2015.

This twitter is more active, but still no activity for 6 months: https://twitter.com/interarchy

Looks like they were working on 10.13 update and version 11.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2018, 05:35 PM

Yeah, I've already known all that and more Andi. Did you ever use it?

Yeah, I paid for the version 11 update 2 years ago, (as a sign of good will), and it's still not made! And the support got worse not better; and they might be out of business. What developer takes in payment for a future update and then does not make the update?

Sadly or ironically it was invented by the stellar Peter Lewis who sold it I think and went on the Keyboard Maestro

andi*pandi
May 11, 2018, 05:57 PM

I don't know, I think the developer Matthew Drayton is a ghost now.
https://www.macintouch.com/community...e-missing.706/

So try Transmit.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2018, 06:37 PM

Andi, thanks nice link. 1st discussion I've seen about the issue. What is this site? Another Mac forum site? How did you find thread/ I googled and did not come up with anything good.

How is Coda? Have you compared it with others?

Thorzdad
May 11, 2018, 08:19 PM

I use CyberDuck, myself. It’s donationware.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2018, 08:23 PM

T have you heard of mirror upload?
How is support or is there any?

andi*pandi
May 11, 2018, 10:07 PM

I like coda because you can edit files right on the server. In fact, that's what I do all the time. (they are dev servers).

I used to use cyberduck, and fugu was nice too. Not sure if they handle SFTP protocols these days?

I'm not familiar with the term mirror upload, but is it like syncing?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2018, 10:51 PM

What is the support for Coda like?

Yeah mirror: you change one file local and you don't have to bring it to server. Syncs.....

Thorzdad
May 12, 2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I used to use cyberduck, and fugu was nice too. Not sure if they handle SFTP protocols these days?
Cyberduck has handled SFTP for a good while now. Can't say about fugu. Never used it. Cyberduck does file syncing, too.

reader50
Administrator
May 12, 2018, 02:31 PM

Another vote for Cyberduck.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2018, 03:22 PM

But Cyber has zero support correct? I don't even think Transmit, which cost $ has any good support. What I'm used to is called mirror upload, you change a handful of files local and click mirror upload and everything syncs to the server perfectly via time stamps. You don't have to drag over those 5-6 files.

Thorzdad
May 12, 2018, 03:44 PM

What do you mean by “support?” It’s still being developed (they just pushed-out an update recently.) I’ve never had to contact the developers with a problem, so I can’t speak to that.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2018, 03:55 PM

Yes tech support

mindwaves
May 13, 2018, 06:38 PM

Wow, I haven’t used Interarchy in years!! Although my use of Cyberduck is far more recent, I’ve used that also in quite some time.

timmerk
Mac Elite
May 21, 2018, 10:45 PM

Loved Transmit 4, but version 5 is a pile of garbage. Terrible, bloated UI, and crashes every day. Seeing if CyberDuck has improved.. it's my last hope since Interarchy 11 is dead.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2018, 11:09 PM

Thanks Tim were you an Interarchy guy? What up with this the guy?

I always felt Transmit seemed overated. Do you know feature mirror upload with Interarchy? Is this unique?

timmerk
Mac Elite
May 21, 2018, 11:16 PM

I was an Interarchy guy through version 8. When they removed features, such as TCP/IP Sniffing, in v9, I left and went to Transmit. I loved Transmit 4, but 5 is just too buggy to be useable.

I don't think the mirror upload is unique - I know many FTP clients support it, such as ForkLift, but ForkLift is more of a Finder replacement than pure FTP client.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2018, 03:31 PM

Thanks Tim, what is the most intuitive easy ftp client that does mirror upload now? (and has good tech support!)

andi*pandi
May 24, 2018, 04:39 PM

Regarding your Wordpress question related to your "mirror uploads". I really don't use this term but I edit Wordpress every day using Coda. Now, I have a development environment so I can edit right on the test server, and when it's how I like it, it gets moved to the live servers via FTP or github. I wouldn't use Coda to connect to a live server and make edits on the live server! That can be a bad idea no matter what your FTP app!

If you are connecting to your wordpress install, what you need to "mirror" is usually just the wp-content folder (plugins, uploads, and THEME). The theme is usually what is only moved back and forth from test area to live area. You could have a local wordpress install on your desktop using XAMPP and FTP from your themes folder to the Live themes folder.

Any more than that, and what you really need is help with Wordpress, which would indeed be cause for a new thread in the Devs forum, or a RFP.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2018, 06:38 PM

All over my head Andi, sorry. Beyond what can be understood on a forum. Well, you don't understand my needs here.

It will be very draining to explain it -- try a bit

If I have 1000 pages with tons of html text, and images, and and change one file, I don't have to drag over the new file to the server. I click "mirror" and the software see timestamps and just updates that one new file. Something about folders that have full wordpress sites in them that upsets all this. There was a way in pass in finder to 'ignore item", but it seems that is not working now. Developer is awol so stuck.

andi*pandi
May 25, 2018, 12:47 PM

Kevs, sounds like your server issues are beyond the FTP app, do you have a wordpress developer helping you?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2018, 03:14 PM

What other FTP apps
1-- (with good tech support),
2-- can do mirror upload? You click mirror and FTP client uploads only the local files that were changed.

Any recommendations appreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 2, 2018, 05:40 PM

Cyberduck supports this. It lets you select a remote folder and then link a local folder to it so the remote folder mirrors the local folder. I don't use the feature, but it's there.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2018, 05:46 PM

Thanks, GH-what is it called? And what forums discussion groups are there?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 2, 2018, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by kevs View Post
Thanks, GH-what is it called? And what forums discussion groups are there?
It is called “Cyberduck,” and it’s available for free HERE (but it is donationware). If you poke around that site, you’ll find an extensive amount of help and support. Their forums are a Google Group, but there is a ton of Wiki-type and FAQ support on their main site.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules