Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Forward compatible nVidia card MacPro'06 -> MacPro'08 ???

Forward compatible nVidia card MacPro'06 -> MacPro'08 ???
justmetoo
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2008, 02:09 PM

Hello,

I've got a 2006 Macpro for which AC upgraded my burned out ATI X1900XT card with an nVidia Quadro 4500 (hey, I'm not complaining!), but was wondering if this earlier nVidia Quadro is forward compatible with the newer Mac Pro lines?

Given that there are 2 separate models of the 8800 for MP 2006 and MP 2008, this may not be a simple issue...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2008, 03:45 PM

Well, given that for normal use, the stock graphics card in a 2008 Mac Pro is just as fast, there's not much reason to move the card. The 8800GT uses the same GPUs as the current Quadro FX, and for normal use there's no difference.

As it is, the ATI 3870 (or whatever the number is) is the best overall graphics card for Mac Pros, and it's compatible with both models.

justmetoo  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2008, 07:23 PM

Thanks for reply tooki,

I understand your raw logic, but that's not an answer to the heart of my question.

Can this Quadro be used in a 2008 Mac Pro?

Also, there are other "less tangible" strengths to this card than sheer GPU GHz...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2008, 01:23 PM

Nope! Pay up for a new one, sucker.

Forum Links
Forum Rules