Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Aaron Hillegass: New Book

Aaron Hillegass: New Book
jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2003, 06:28 AM

Looks like a new edition of popular "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" is right around the corner.

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/bibli...2-0321213149-0

jesse ;-)

techtrucker
Senior User
Dec 26, 2003, 12:45 PM

Hmm, no info on his site yet, hope it's got some fresh info. Would love to see some database stuff.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
Would love to see some database stuff.
Aww, now you've gone and made me think of EOF.

techtrucker
Senior User
Dec 26, 2003, 02:08 PM

Sorry, EOF is a sore subject here too. When I first dove into Cocoa I had the need to create database apps, and wound up fighting with the PostgreSQL C API in order to get something working. It pained me to think the technology was there and was just being held back...

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
Sorry, EOF is a sore subject here too. When I first dove into Cocoa I had the need to create database apps, and wound up fighting with the PostgreSQL C API in order to get something working. It pained me to think the technology was there and was just being held back...
Just hook into java and use JDBC for database work. Databases is one thing java has got down cold.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2003, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
Just hook into java and use JDBC for database work. Databases is one thing java has got down cold.
Evidently, you have never used EOF. JDO is probably a step in the right direction, though.

Zimwy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2003, 07:09 PM

Hi all,
I emailed The people who publish the hilleglass Cocoa book and got this reply about a month and a half later:

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for writing, and thanks for your interest.

Yes, indeed, the Cocoa book will be updated for 10.3. In fact, we're using the new text in our Cocoa classes. We don't really know when the book will be available, but I believe you can pre-order it on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Or, of course, you could always come to class!

With kind regards,

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 02:40 AM

Darn, I ordered the first edition last year and never gotten around to reading it... Guess I have a paperweight now

i_wolf
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2004, 03:08 AM

like wise i ordered the first book only two months ago. however most if not everything i have read so far has worked perfectly for me on panther. The only problem i found was that it was geared towards project builder and not xcode, but then again none of the cocoa books on the shelves at the moment seam tobe geared towards xcode and cocoa.
However i havn't found any problem at all with the examples therein. I would still recommend the book very highly.
Also the basics of cocoa and objective c do not change that much... just newer revised api's and you can check that in xcode! Its a great book for learning the 'way of thinking' in cocoa and for learnign objective c.
rgs
i_wolf

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2004, 04:29 PM

I also bought the book, didn't get around to it till now and walla. Shouldn't be a big deal aside from the XCode issue. Does anyone know if it'll be much of a problem using XCode with this book?

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

hayesk
Jan 7, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Darn, I ordered the first edition last year and never gotten around to reading it... Guess I have a paperweight now
No, it's still very relevant. I went through the book using 10.2 and 10.3 and almost everything worked exactly the same. The web site publishes the changes and updates too, so you can look them up if you run into any trouble.

bri-guy
Jan 9, 2004, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
I also bought the book, didn't get around to it till now and walla. Shouldn't be a big deal aside from the XCode issue. Does anyone know if it'll be much of a problem using XCode with this book?
I've been through about 1/6 of the book so far and it works just fine with XCode. Now, the pictures don't look exactly the same and the descriptions might be just a little different, but (so far, at least) you can figure everything out without a problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules