Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > My Mac won't boot in OS9 anymore!

My Mac won't boot in OS9 anymore!
curan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 01:53 PM

I have 10.2.4 installed on a Powermac G4 from 2001, I used to have both OS9 and OSX on different partitions but I chose to not work with partitions so I initialized the disk and installed OS 10.2 again, I chose 'make this disk OS9 bootable'. But when I try to boot from any OS9 Installer CD (The Dutch version that came with my powermac, Software Restore CD shows the same problem.) it starts to boot up correctly until its on the loading screen (where the icons are shown on the bottom)

After loading for a while the spinning cursor disappears and it stops loading. The status of the loading bar remains at the same place (20% loaded) every time I try to boot up. No extensions load before it freezes.

I have checked both CDs (dutch version) and they aren't damaged.
As people suggested I zapped the PRAM until I heard three chimes, but that didn't fix things either.
I have initialized the disk so that no system was installed and still couldn't boot from the OS9 CDs.
I have tried to launch from the installer CDs without extensions, and it didn't help.
Someone suggested that I should update my firmware, but the firmware installer is a OS9 app! Also how can I check the version number of my installed firmware?
I really need OS9 for Classic and a few other apps, I hope this can be fixed.

Thanks for any help!

(This is a re-post from the Apple Discussions forum, nobody could help me there.)

pliny
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 11:56 PM

It sounds like you have messed up cds. You're trying to boot from the PM's built-in tray or an external cd drive?
i look in your general direction

curan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2003, 12:57 AM

Built-in tray.

I have tried both the software restore CDs and regular OS9 cd, they both show same result so I don't think the cd's itself are damaged.

Perhaps the fact that they are dutch is a problem?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2003, 06:31 PM

Dutch OS9 CDs? If you are not running that version of OS9, then that could be it.

I installed Jaguar on my QS Dp800 and I could no longer boot to my 10.1 cds, but OS9 booting to the original CDs (that CAME with the computer) and other retail copies of OS9 was still possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if other "international" OS9 cds wouldn't boot my system, but then I have the original CDs so why would I do that?

Did you try it with an original retail CD for your market (I see you are in Belgium) r is the computer from another country?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules