Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Bootable CD-Rs on LaCie 8x 20x

Bootable CD-Rs on LaCie 8x 20x
James_Rolevink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 1999, 08:56 PM

Dear folks,

I have noticed an old thread elsewhere which covers some of this topic, but I wonder if someone else might be able to answer the following:

I have tried �til I am blue in the face to burn a bootable CD-R with a LaCie 8x 20x SCSI II burner on an Adaptec 2930 bootable Ultra SCSI III card in a Blue and White G3 400 MHz.

My Bronze keyboard PowerBook puts up the question mark, while the G3 simply ejects the CDs and then proceeds as per int HD.

For the source disk I have tried:
1) an old, successful Toast image that used to work with a Yamaha burner,
2) the temp partition Adaptec recommends with a fresh install from an OS 8.6 CD and just a drag and drop of the various componants
3) a USB Zip disk
4) a SCSI DVD-RAM disk
5) a Toast image mounted on the desktop

I have trieds to re-bless the various System Folders and they all have the right Mac OS logo to indicate a valid System folder�

Any clues?

pmacleod
Oct 14, 1999, 06:04 AM

I have a blue and white G3 with an Adaptec 2940U/UW PowerDomain card scavenged from a PowerCentre 210. I also have a LaCie 8x 20x CD-R and have made a boot disk that will boot any PowerMac (excluding G4)

The most important thing when making boot disks for newer Mac's is the MacOS ROM file. I used the "Make Rescue Disk" function in IomegaWare 1.1.3 to put a base system onto a Zip. I dropped the MacOS ROM file into the system, added a couple of things (like NAV, Iomega drivers etc) and it boots anything.

That should be all you need to do, along with clicking the "Make Bootable" option in Toast.

Forum Links
Forum Rules