Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you hate Street Fighter 2?

Do you hate Street Fighter 2?
Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2002, 09:36 PM

Have you ever had so little fun EVER playing a game? It's too damn hard! I mean, come on, you CANNOT beat the damn bosses when you up the hardness of the game. They kick your ass every time.

About 20 minutes ago, I was playing Street Fighter 2 on my SNES. I was playing on Level 5, with Ryu. When I reached Vega, I COULDN'T BEAT HIM. No matter what. I must have played about 20 rounds, and only won ONE out of all of them. Every time I lost, I just kept getting more and more aggravated. I HATE SF2. I've never liked it, even when I was a little kid when it came out. It's always made me want to smash the TV.

So, I did the next best thing. I smashed it against my garage floor, and two smashes later, I was looking at circuit board. I tried plugging just the board in, but it must have been damaged somewhere along Step One of the destruction process, so I proceeded to Step Two in the garage with a hammer in my hand. I managed to crack the ROM on the first blow, and smelled something almost like burning plastic, but fainter. It always reminds me of wintergreen for some reason. The circuit board was surprisingly tough for being so small. It took over 25 hammer blows before it broke into many pieces. It really started to break when I moved the board off of the cement onto the dirt. The broken case was next.

The picture shows 3 characters. As I strategically smashed their faces, I cursed Blanka for beating me the first round, Chun Li for not being able to beat Vega even though she was almost as fast, and Ryu for not being able to guide me past Vega. They all suck, and SF2 sucks even more. I HATE THAT GAME.

http://www.bluebomber.com/misc/SF2_Destruction.jpg
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 7, 2002, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
you CANNOT beat the damn bosses when you up the hardness of the game. They kick your ass every time.
YUO = TEH L4M3R!!1!!!!!!!!!1
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2002, 09:53 PM

Noooo! Street Fighter 2 was one of the best games ever! I lost countless quarters to Capcom one summer after it hit arcades.

Think the CPU is tough? Try against a skilled human sometime! (Or don't if you can't handle losing wiothout grabbing a hammer)

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2002, 09:54 PM

Chun Li kicks ASS!

Yep Yep Yep Yep Yep Yep

God, how my friends hated me.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2002, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by ink:
Chun Li kicks ASS!

Yep Yep Yep Yep Yep Yep

God, how my friends hated me.
I hear ya, Chun Li kicked all of their asses
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2002, 09:59 PM

Chun Li? No Way! Blanka ownz!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 7, 2002, 10:02 PM

i never met anyone who willingly picked Zangief
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2002, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
Chun Li? No Way! Blanka ownz!
Chun Li owned Blanks's ass all over the map
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2002, 10:10 PM

Chun Li doesn't stand a chance against the king of the Shotokan fighters: Akuma!

Oh, and SFII purist? Ken and Ryu own all! (no boss select, remember?)

Before someone says they could beat me with so and so, yes you could, I'm not very good at fighting games.

BlackGriffen

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2002, 10:19 PM

The SNES SFII, you say?

I liked the game. Unfortunately, I found a pattern which made the game annoyingly simple to beat with just about everyone. Just keep jumping straight up, and use Roundhouse kicks while in the air to bat your opponents away whenever they come close. Works almost every time even on the higher difficulty levels. Time it right, and you can even kick M. Bison (nee Vega) right out of his Psycho Crusher.

Unfortunately, this does take a lot of fun out of the game. It works, if I recall right, with all the playables except Dhalsim. it works against all of the characters -including bosses- except for Vega (nee Balrog), and it works almost all the time against him (you just have to watch out for his fence-climbing move).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2002, 10:25 PM

I managed to crack the ROM on the first blow, and smelled something almost like burning plastic, but fainter. It always reminds me of wintergreen for some reason.

http://www.bluebomber.com/misc/SF2_Destruction.jpg
that discription reminds me of buring sauder, nother better then breathing in lead fumes.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 8, 2002, 12:46 AM

Damn I miss that game.

Blanka rocked.

I too don't know anyone who openly picked Zangief.

Bluebomber21XX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2002, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
The SNES SFII, you say?

I liked the game. Unfortunately, I found a pattern which made the game annoyingly simple to beat with just about everyone. Just keep jumping straight up, and use Roundhouse kicks while in the air to bat your opponents away whenever they come close. Works almost every time even on the higher difficulty levels. Time it right, and you can even kick M. Bison (nee Vega) right out of his Psycho Crusher.

Unfortunately, this does take a lot of fun out of the game. It works, if I recall right, with all the playables except Dhalsim. it works against all of the characters -including bosses- except for Vega (nee Balrog), and it works almost all the time against him (you just have to watch out for his fence-climbing move).
I know about this method, and while it works about 50% of the time, it DoES NOT work on Vega... he jumps too high
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2002, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
I picked Zangief once as a joke. And I was high.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2002, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
I picked Zangief once as a joke. And I was high.
I picked him once, after I'd learned The Pattern (I still can't do his Spinning Piledriver, and he's just not someone you should pick unless you can do that). Just to see his ending and all.

I must say, his ending is probably best seen while high. Not something I'd know about, but if someone could report on the effects of drugs on Zangief's ending I'd be very interested.

Thrax
Banned
Oct 8, 2002, 05:24 AM

Have you ever had so little fun EVER playing a game? It's too damn hard! I mean, come on, you CANNOT beat the damn bosses when you up the hardness of the game. They kick your ass every time.

About 20 minutes ago, I was playing Street Fighter 2 on my SNES. I was playing on Level 5, with Ryu. When I reached Vega, I COULDN'T BEAT HIM. No matter what. I must have played about 20 rounds, and only won ONE out of all of them. Every time I lost, I just kept getting more and more aggravated. I HATE SF2. I've never liked it, even when I was a little kid when it came out. It's always made me want to smash the TV.
How about you learn to play instead of simply hitting the buttons as fast as possible? I'm no expert, but I can finish Street Fighter II (all five of them) at the highest difficulty level with several characters.

My favorite characters are Ken and Chun Li because of their speed and range. Who needs strength? A shame they ruined Chun Li in Street Fighter III.

Tekken, Super Smash Bros., and Marvel vs. Capcom have made fighting game players lazy.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2002, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Thrax:
Tekken, Super Smash Bros., and Marvel vs. Capcom have made fighting game players lazy.
Hey, I liked MvC1. MvC2 wasn't nearly as good, I'll grant, but MvC1 rocked. Of course, a good portion of that was due to the character music. Jin's music rocked, as did Captain America's and Roll's.

And Super Smach Bros. is great, once you learn to play Jigglypuff with skill (as opposed to the cheesy pixie that most people seem to play it as). Granted, it's not as "hardcore" of a fighter, but then, it's not meant to be.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
i used to play ALOT of SFII in arcades when it came out. i remember knowing the date that "champion edition" was to be released and driving around to arcades to see if it was in yet.

playing the university of michigan kids in Ann Arbor was always the most fun, lots of good matches to be had there. thinking back to the times i got whooped the hardest, it was against zangief being played by some kid that spoke almost no english. he didnt do that "short punch/throw" combo cheap crap either. he just solidly kicked my ass. it was humbling to say the least. there is no "best" character.

ps. that snes version of SF2 sucked royally.

denim
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2002, 02:00 PM

I managed to crack the ROM on the first blow, and smelled something almost like burning plastic, but fainter.
That was the magic smoke. All these computer things run on magic smoke, you see. If it gets out, the machine stops working.

I prefer Primal Rage, anyway.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2002, 02:03 PM

Street Fighter 2 is rootz.. but Marvel v. Capcom is the bomb.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2002, 04:38 PM

I used to pick Zangief all the time. Of course, I could use all the characters very well. Still, he was one of my favorites. He's no slouch, trust me.

His jump kick has a very high priority and his low power kick has an incredibly quick release. Throw in his devestaing super throws and he can be deadly in the hands of a master.

In fact, they used to have SFII championships every year and I'm pretty sure a guy won with Zangief one year.

SFII had the most balanced cast of fighters ever.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
SFII had the most balanced cast of fighters ever.
Actually, I'd give that to SF1. But then, given that it only had two characters, and they were Ken and Ryu, that's not too tough

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2002, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:
Street Fighter 2 is rootz.. but Marvel v. Capcom is the bomb.
I thought X-men vs. Street Fighter was better that Marvel vs. Capcom. I will agree thought that both are far better than Street Fighter II.

Oh- Street Fighter I had more than just two characters, as anyone who has played it knows.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Siddhartha
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2002, 03:36 AM

I used to love killing people with five invisible throws, or lock up the machine with handcuffs and walk away. Good times pissin' people off.

Thrax
Banned
Oct 9, 2002, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:

I thought X-men vs. Street Fighter was better that Marvel vs. Capcom. I will agree thought that both are far better than Street Fighter II.

Oh- Street Fighter I had more than just two characters, as anyone who has played it knows.
Sure, there were twelve characters, but only two were playable - and they were exactly the same except in appearance.

And as far as I'm concerned, all four Marvel vs. Capcom games (X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heros vs. Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, Marvel vs. Capcom 2) suck. In fact, any game that requires nothing more than hitting the buttons as fast as possible sucks.

Except for the Guilty Gear series.

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2002, 04:23 AM

Every blah vs. blah game ever released has sucked.

SFII was awesome... I was a Ryu/Zangief person.

Ryu was awesome... if I wanted to use someone else, Zangief. He was awesome too.

Oh well... Killer Instinct kicks everythings ass.

The least fun I've ever had playing a game, as is addressed in the original post, would have to be Diablo II.

Thrax
Banned
Oct 9, 2002, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Every blah vs. blah game ever released has sucked.

Ugh... Not Killer Instinct! That series has another terrible feature that automatically makes a fighting game lousy: instant combos.

And not every blah vs. blah game is terrible. Capcom did a good job with Capcom vs. SNK 2. Then again, it's not a typical tag-team button masher. This game has depth coming out of every orifice. Too bad they ruined it in the EO version.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2002, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
eh? we need to talk dude. goddamn that game was a horrible button mashing POS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules