Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Non-Authorized Dealers?

Non-Authorized Dealers?
iDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 11:07 AM

Hey everyone!

Just as a quick introduction - I'm a longtime PC user and potential switcher (actually my very first computer was an Apple Classic, then went to PC). The 17" AlBook is tempting me, especially with all the great reviews (such as AssasyN's).

Anyway - my question is if there is any problem with purchasing from a non-Apple Authorized Dealer. I plan on buying Applecare, so would I be risking anything here?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts - and keep posting reviews and pics just to convince me of the need to Switch

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 11:38 AM

Just as long as you know they're legit, you're fine, escp. if you purchase AppleCare to take care of all your repair needs.

And don't hold back man, dive on into the Mac world, I did, and I'm loving every minute of it...OS X is *such* a joy to use, I love my Mac so much, I only wish I would've switched sooner! And I'm glad you enjoyed my review!!

Feel free to post any further questions!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 12:29 PM

the biggest thing to worry about (check for) is that many grey market (non authorized) dealers use NON-US versions... they will literally buy then from out of the country.

so, check for that... (last thing you want is a different language keyboard on your laptop.)

iDoc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the responses -

I checked a couple of the places with the Better Business Bureau and there have been no significant problems reported, so that's some comfort.

As a side note, I can't believe how jazzed I am just thinking about getting the notebook and exploring OSX - everytime I read something new about what it offers I just think how cool it would be if I do get one of these!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by iDoc:
Thanks for the responses -

I checked a couple of the places with the Better Business Bureau and there have been no significant problems reported, so that's some comfort.

As a side note, I can't believe how jazzed I am just thinking about getting the notebook and exploring OSX - everytime I read something new about what it offers I just think how cool it would be if I do get one of these!

That sounds great!

And yeah man, it *is* exciting, and the greatest part is actually getting your first Mac and just exploring OS X and realizing how awesome it is...it's simply a blast to use. It puts the fun back into using a computer.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 04:03 PM

get a mac! OSX is really really awsome

PBAddict
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 04:40 PM

I made the swithch 3 years ago and never looked back

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2003, 08:28 PM

the biggest thing to worry about (check for) is that many grey market (non authorized) dealers use NON-US versions... they will literally buy then from out of the country.
What difference would that make? You'd just download the correct language manual, and change the language for OS X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules