Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dirty ibooks

dirty ibooks
Johnbmx26
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 09:40 PM

Hey,
Just wondering if any of you have dirty ibooks. I tend to get crazy when my keyboard or palm rests look dirty so usually just take the keys off one by one and clean them.. Takes forever.
Anyone use one of those iskin things? or know of any better cleaning solutions?
I'd get the iskin but imo, it just looks real cheesy.

John

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 09:52 PM

I work in a warehouse and the best thing i've found is this type of plastics and vinyl cleaner we have - works like a dream on my white (often mistaken for brown) ibook. I'm on vacation now but I'll send an email and see if I can find out exactly what it is.

Cucucachoo
Nov 2, 2005, 11:09 PM

This is gonna sound crazy. But I use Colemans camper fuel. It cuts thru just about any kind of grime you can show it. I learned of its cleaning ability when I started working for a medical device company. It doesn't eat plastics or remove any of the finish i have used it on. encluding my iBook. If your unsure test in a place that is not seen.

Just dip a paper towel in a bowl of it and wipe away. Of course you dont want it to be soping wet just damp and i shouldnt have to say it but no open flames or cigs.

Like i said, it sounds crazy but it works.
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Johnbmx26
Hey,
Just wondering if any of you have dirty ibooks. I tend to get crazy when my keyboard or palm rests look dirty so usually just take the keys off one by one and clean them.. Takes forever.
Anyone use one of those iskin things? or know of any better cleaning solutions?
I'd get the iskin but imo, it just looks real cheesy.

John
a few years ago when i had an ibook i bought one of those iskin things. i used it for about 10 minutes and then threw it away. i *hated* it.

my 2c

joe_farley
Nov 3, 2005, 06:21 PM

is the ibook getting dirty a real problem? it must be the price you pay for a lovly white laptop
http://www.funnyville.com/fv/pictures/winrg.shtml -hahaha this is a mic take of the windows operating system

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 06:52 PM

I use the iSkin and it took about 2 weeks to get used to. now I look at how much filth collects on the keyboard weekly, and I'm glad I use it.... but it does take a bit of getting used to.

For the wrist pads and exterior, the Mr. Clean magic eraser works wonders.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 03:54 PM

The stuff I use is called "Fiber-Tek Ultra Clear Anti Static Cleaner and Polish
for Plastics". It's a specialty item for sure but......... manufactured by Coast Fiber-Tek Products LTD.

If you can find it, it works really well.

yuanjuhn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 09:10 AM

I used a white Staedtler eraser to rub off the dirt on the palmrest of my ibook. Rub over the surface, dust off the eraser scraps, clean off the erasertip, repeat. It might take a bit of effort, but really works wonders.

The eraser (bought in Taiwan) resembles this one: http://www.staedtler-usa.com/Mars_pl...ActiveID=24147

gruneeitelkeit
Nov 8, 2005, 07:04 PM

Yeah, I agree with the white eraser thing (any good white eraser will do). In my experience in the past, it works perfectly. Don't waste money buying cleaning solutions for your ibook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules