Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Unibody MacBook broken - for the third time.

Unibody MacBook broken - for the third time.
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2009, 05:39 PM

Some of you may remember a thread that I created a while ago entitled "Apple - Stop breaking my MacBook". Basically, they had replaced the top level housing because of a 'y' key that kept falling off, and with it they broke the logic board (the MacBook wouldn't charge).

After a 9 day wait, they returned my MacBook with a new logic board that worked fine. It was charging fine today. And now, the same thing has happened again. I have the receipts for all of these repairs and I'll be bringing them with me.

In terms of getting a replacement MacBook - what are my chances? This is the third problem, and I feel as if each repair is just doing it more damage. I may as well have bought a refurbished MacBook at this point.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. My first Apple experience in about 5 years isn't going too well.

hatehereyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2009, 06:04 PM

Tell them you want a totally new macbook and if not say you want a refund.
Early 2008 Mac Pro 4gb RAM
iPod Classic 160gb/iPod Video 30gb
Triple Monitor Setup
www.MacLister.com

Cold Warrior
May 20, 2009, 06:26 PM

Call their service line, be polite, but explain to a supervisor/manager that this is clearly a lemon and you'd like a replacement unit.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2009, 03:33 AM

What CW said. You want to explain, not demand. Tell them the story. Explain how this has become a real hassel and that you're afraid it will continue since quite obviously this specific MB is a lemon. Ask them if they can help you out. Be polite and friendly. That will end up doing much more for you than barging in and demanding something.

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2009, 10:40 AM

Yes - I knew that demanding would get me no where. Unfortunately, they weren't willing to give me a new one. The genius said that he doesn't know why there was a new logic board fitted (even though the problem was rectified after this). He said he'll fit a new magsafe board and see where it goes from there. They don't have the part in stock, so it'll be a while.

Really annoying.. 2 major problems, 1 minor problem and now another week wait at least.

Cold Warrior
May 21, 2009, 11:34 AM

Maybe three repairs will be the magic number. In most cases I see on and off the forums, Apple will replace the unit if it has had three repairs in its warranty cycle.

64stang06
Mac Elite
May 21, 2009, 12:02 PM

Sometimes demanding is the only way to go. I was at an Apple Store once where a customer had a damaged optical drive. The Genius explained that it would be a 1-3 day turn around time, but the customer wasn't satisfied. He wanted same day service, which was impossible since the part wasn't in stock. After much complaining to 3 different managers, they gave in to his demand and replaced the whole machine for him. I was next in line for an iPod issue but it amazed me that they gave in and replaced the machine because he couldn't be without an optical drive.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules