Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Not sure which Macbook Version this is..

Not sure which Macbook Version this is..
hatehereyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2009, 10:12 AM

I'm thinking about purchasing a white macbook from guitarcenter but I'm not sure which version it is.

Is it the Core Duo or Core 2 Duo version?

The information on the website seems to be mixed up.

Thanks!
Early 2008 Mac Pro 4gb RAM
iPod Classic 160gb/iPod Video 30gb
Triple Monitor Setup
www.MacLister.com

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2009, 10:22 AM

why guitarcenter? why not straight from apple, or perhaps an apple refurb, or even more so, why not amazon? those prices don't look like anything special, and you're very, very likely to get an older model.

for example, the innards or the white macbook were just upgraded, with better components and most, most importantly, a better display (the old display had very limited viewing angles, the new display is the equivalent of the MBA display, or so they say.)

Apple stores all over the place are discounting the previous model, but guitarcenter isn't going to be telling you that...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2009, 10:32 AM

Forget about the Core Duo. That's been history for a while already.

What's their deal?

Apple is offering the white MB for $749 as a refurb. That's however the config sold before last week's (minor) bump.

hatehereyes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2009, 12:04 PM

Well I'd would rather go with guitar center because I could put it on a credit card with no interest or payments for a year.

That is pretty much the only reason I'm going to be getting a macbook.

so is there any need for me to worry about getting an older rev macbook if I ordered it from guitarcenter?
Triple Monitor Setup
www.MacLister.com

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2009, 03:25 PM

Which rev are you getting and for which price? I'd say the benchmark is Apple's refurb.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2009, 03:45 PM

The only white MacBook I found on their website was this:

Apple MacBook (13.3", 2GHz, 2X1GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive, SD) and more Mac Computers at GuitarCenter.com.

Only 1 GB of RAM, a 120 GB hard drive, and a 2.1 GHz processor indicate to me that this is most likely the low-end MacBook from early 2008, with the Intel GMA X3100 graphics. Given that it's being sold for the same price as Apple's web site charges for the current white MacBook, which has the NVIdia 9400M GPU and 2 GB of RAM, this is a shockingly bad deal.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2009, 03:54 PM

Yeah Charles, you're right. They took an old X3100 MB and added 1GB of RAM. For $999 that's a terrible deal. Apple's $749 refurb with the 9400M is a way better deal.

hatehereyes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
The only white MacBook I found on their website was this:

Apple MacBook (13.3", 2GHz, 2X1GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive, SD) and more Mac Computers at GuitarCenter.com.

Only 1 GB of RAM, a 120 GB hard drive, and a 2.1 GHz processor indicate to me that this is most likely the low-end MacBook from early 2008, with the Intel GMA X3100 graphics. Given that it's being sold for the same price as Apple's web site charges for the current white MacBook, which has the NVIdia 9400M GPU and 2 GB of RAM, this is a shockingly bad deal.
This is exactly why I'm confused.

I even emailed the "experts" at guitar center and they told me It was the new model.

but another thing that confuses me is isn't the 2.1ghz core 2 duo only on the newer white macbooks?
or does GC just have their info wrong?
Triple Monitor Setup
www.MacLister.com

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2009, 04:24 PM

The new white MacBook has a 2.13 GHz C2D. The 2.1 GHz models were sold in 2008. They come with X3100 graphics. They're actually before-last generation models.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by hatehereyes View Post
I even emailed the "experts" at guitar center and they told me It was the new model.
The specs shown on the web site point to a model that's almost a year and a half old, so either the web site or the person you e-mailed is wrong. It's entirely possible that the web site could be severely out of date, but personally I don't think it's something I'd want to risk $999 on.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

hatehereyes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2009, 05:31 PM

Hmm does anyone know if GC accepts returns in this situation?

I guess I'll just have to call them.

Those refurbs are looking tempting but putting the macbook on the GC credit card is the only way I could get it.
Triple Monitor Setup
www.MacLister.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules