Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My isn't replacing the optical drive on a 12in PB a baitch!

My isn't replacing the optical drive on a 12in PB a baitch!
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2009, 03:30 PM

Never having troubled to look and seeing how it's a piece of p**s on the 15 and 17 I was a bit shocked to see the step by step for this.

The stupid placement of two mounting brackets UNDER the logic board when on top would have done just as well means you have to remove every single component in the machine just to replace the optical drive. Which, because its a slot loader is a weak point anyway.

Stupidest. Design. Evar.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/P...al-Drive/555/1

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
My isn't replacing the optical drive on a 12in PB a baitch!

My bitch isn't replacing the optical drive on a 12in PB ?

-t

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 15, 2009, 04:06 PM

Just wait till one of the mounts for the heat sink breaks as you try to remove it.. then it just spins and spins and it's a bitch to get out... I hate working on 12" pb's.

Just put a comma after My, turtle...

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Just wait till one of the mounts for the heat sink breaks as you try to remove it.. then it just spins and spins and it's a bitch to get out... I hate working on 12" pb's.

Just put a comma after My, turtle...
Yeah I was dreading that. Still went Ok, took a bit longer than I had planned. I did shortcut the end a bit as it's not actually necessary to wholly remove either the metal frame or the logic board. You can remove all the frame screws and the logic board ones on the left hand side and then lever the drive out from there.

saves a load of having to thread stupid cables back into place.

Was pretty relieved to hear the startup chime and then the Apple logo. Also pleased when DVD mounted up on desktop and I hadn't left something unattached.

I DID notice that there were loads of screws missing inside though. Apparently it had it's optical drive replaced under applecare when nearly new. Seems Apples techs seem to think plenty of screws are not needed on reassembly.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2009, 04:50 PM

People like to talk about optical-less laptops being the future, but what they don't realize is that slot-loading optical drives already ensure that every laptop eventually becomes optical-less.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
People like to talk about optical-less laptops being the future, but what they don't realize is that slot-loading optical drives already ensure that every laptop eventually becomes optical-less.

Funny and true.

Sukoto-San
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2009, 02:05 AM

I replaced the optical drive in my 12" PowerBook two years ago. I bought it from OWC. It failed in a week and I had to send it back and get a replacement. I also had to do that install TWICE in three weeks!! I was really p****d at them for the first drive.

My wife uses the machine today and other than it running hot because I needed to use thermal paste the second time it's fine.

It's a really dumb way to secure a part with a high failure rate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules