Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 55)
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
How is Paper Mario?
Hilarious, that's for sure

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 11:04 AM

oh thats classic. A small jab at Micro$oft... priceless, nice symbology at work as well.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 11:40 AM

Oh and im actually looking forward to that Resident Evil Game, it seems like a "pure" shooter ala arcade style. sounds good, looks good, probably plays good (well better than the other 2 anyway)

Oh a side note, im not impressed with PoP: Rival Swords or RE4 remake for the Wii...lazy developers. but on the other hand there are so many ppl who have a wii and never played those games on a GCN so it's great for em.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 17, 2007 at 12:03 PM. )

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Hilarious, that's for sure
Indeed, I rarely laugh at a video game.

So many memorable quotes. I also like when Bowser said to Mario "Enough with sequels, let's end it here right now!"

kick52
Baninated
Apr 21, 2007, 11:46 AM

i found this annoying bug in the address book:

this happens when you erase contacts. it would be good if you could drag via A+B, but you cant.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 28, 2007, 01:34 PM

yeah, thats right, i'm bumping this thread, mf!

i just ordered zelda off of amazon. should arrive on may 1st or 2nd.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2007, 12:26 AM

Meanwhile, Tiger Woods 2007 is getting hours and hours of gameplay at my house. Kick ass!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2007, 12:49 AM

I finally found a Wii on a store shelf, and I have to admit, that I'm having more fun with it then I thought I would... and I don't even have any real games yet.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dazed
Apr 29, 2007, 09:42 PM

Congrats on the new wii, Ive had mine about a week now and love it.

I'd suggest renting some games before you buy (if you have shops near you who do that).

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2007, 03:43 AM

My local Babbages received a shipment of 20 Wiis today. When I arrived at 12:30pm, there were only 2 remaining. I bought one and picked up Wii Play, an extra nunchuck & Paper Mario as well.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 1, 2007, 07:30 PM

Just got my Wii tonight. Arrived at a store 10 min after a return (unopened).

What a cool system.

Anyone have any advice for games for kids? And by kids I mean 5 yr old?

Dazed
May 2, 2007, 12:21 AM

Congrats on the Wii. Not sure about games for 5 year old. maybe WarioWare could be a good one.

Maybe rent a few if you are near a store which does it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2007, 01:15 AM

I think Wario Ware might be too hard because it has so many different ways of holding the remote, and you have to switch between them pretty quickly in places. Plus some of games are a little finicky when it comes to control. But then again, I have to admit that I don't really know what level a 5-year-old is at in terms of video games.

You could look into the Virtual Console and get them started on something like Super Mario Brothers. There are also quite a few licensed games (Cars, etc) that might be good. Read some reviews and try to pick ones that aren't going to be frustrating.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2007, 01:19 PM

My kids like Sonic.

Frankly, the appeal of the Wii has pretty much died the last few weeks and I find myself playing my 360 and PS3 more lately.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2007, 03:05 PM

Did the Wii ever appeal to you?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2007, 04:02 PM

Are we going through this again? I did buy one, didn't I? I just didn't think it was good ENOUGH to kick as much ass as everyone said it would. It was fun for about a month, and then I just let it die. My kids are the only ones that use it now. There's NOTHING there that appeals to me. If I sold it tomorrow I wouldn't miss it.

And before you press that reply button, it's because the games on it suck, not because of the controller (even if my kids snapped the wriststraps off two of them).

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2007, 04:18 PM

Now now. Don't get all defensive. I personally have no interest in the Wii either anymore. The only game that remotely interests me now is Super Paper Mario, which I should probably try out. But as a system, it's been a huge disappointment to me so far, and I find its popularity rather galling.

When you said it lost its appeal in the last few weeks it sounded like maybe you enjoyed it at some point.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2007, 06:57 PM

It WAS cool for a while, but the thing is, I really enjoy just using the classic-type controller. The games aren't that Earth-shattering either. It's cool to a point, but it can't compete against GoW.

riley46
May 6, 2007, 11:25 PM

For those who cannot buy it in their area and willing to do so online, here is a site (SmartRatings - Reviews & Ratings for Nintendo Wii Console) where you can access an online store which sells it. Stocks are still available as of Sunday May 6, 2007. Hope this helps. Good luck.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 01:42 PM

OK. so I've been a pretty vocal critic of the Wii since the beginning, but I recently picked one up, because I'm also a huge Nintendo fan and I knew I would need one eventually to play all of my favorite franchises. I would never choose to use the Wii as my primary console and I bought it as a compliment to my 360.

Anywho, I've enjoyed it so far and am pleased with my purchase. The motion sensing works pretty well and the games are fun to play with your friends.

However, even though I've had it for about 3 weeks, I still find myself playing my 360 a lot more. The Wii is fun to me, but nothing worth getting worked up over.

Here is where I'm confused though. All of my friends are going nuts over this thing like it's the most amazing thing they have ever seen or heard of.

We were out drinking this weekend and someone started talking about playing at my house and the whole table was amazed that I had one and wouldn't stop talking about how much they wanted one and wanted to come and try it.

Everyone who has come over and seen it there has said something to the effect of "Oh my God! you have a Wii! Where did you get it! Let's try it out!"

I really do not understand the level of enthusiasm? What is going on here? Has this happened to anyone else?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 01:44 PM

I think the enthusiasm to give it a play is based on its unique control.

See if they're like that afterwards.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 8, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I really do not understand the level of enthusiasm? What is going on here? Has this happened to anyone else?
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding how the motion controls work. I know a lot of people think that the tennis racket in Wii Sports or Link's sword in Twilight Princess actually follow your movements. And of course there is the whole "it's hard to find" thing, which I still think is probably working for Nintendo more than against it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 06:38 PM

I really don't think they can keep this momentum up.

The thing about the controls is that while they are different, they really aren't that much better. I was playing Red Steel (shut up, I know) for a few hours straight, and I suddenly realized that after a while I didn't even notice that I was playing with the Wiimote.

There is a point during the playing of any game when the control of the game becomes a subconscious exercise and you no longer think about the controls. Once I got to this point in red Steel (which took a bit longer) I was no longer playing a game with a unique control scheme, I was just playing a very mediocre first person shooter.

The Wiimote became a total non-factor. It didn't make it more interactive. It didn't make it easier to aim. It didn't do any of that. It was exactly the same as controlling a game with a regular controller, only more complicated and annoying.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2007, 11:30 PM

The Wiimote became a total non-factor. It didn't make it more interactive. It didn't make it easier to aim. It didn't do any of that. It was exactly the same as controlling a game with a regular controller, only more complicated and annoying.
That's exactly how I felt after a week with the system. That's the main reason I re-sold it (and the profit).

I loved Zelda, but not because of the controls. Actually, it might be more accurate to say I liked it in spite of the controls. The Wii is worth the money mostly for the simple fact that it plays new Nintendo games, but not because of the "innovative" controls.

That said, I still miss it sometimes. But I miss every console that I get/sell/trade.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2007, 03:43 PM

The Wii is available on Amazon as of this second, in case anyone wants one.

Amazon.com: Nintendo Wii: Video Games

EDIT: And 5 seconds later, it's GONE!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2007, 04:23 PM

Well, ExciteTruck is on it's way from Gamefly. Let's see how that is.

I can't seem to get any of the big games from them. They are all checked out all the time.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 9, 2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
The Wii is available on Amazon as of this second, in case anyone wants one.

Amazon.com: Nintendo Wii: Video Games

EDIT: And 5 seconds later, it's GONE!
Partly due to me! Now I gotta go back and scan this monster thread for some game recommendations..

ink
Mac Elite
May 9, 2007, 04:50 PM

Well, ExciteTruck is on it's way from Gamefly. Let's see how that is.

I can't seem to get any of the big games from them. They are all checked out all the time.
Don't get your hopes up; it's a fairly boring game.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2007, 06:15 PM

Well my dad and I enjoyed ExciteTruck. It's a great game for brief gaming session but if you're expecting for a deep, long game, you'll be disappointed of course.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2007, 07:17 PM

I really enjoy playing excite truck. it's an arcade racer, so it's easy to pick up and just play. and it's actually very addictive (to me anyway).

My only qib is the lack of online multiplayer.

Game recommendations for Wii:
-Zelda (duh)
-Excite Truck
-Call of Duty 3 (rent it)...its a decent first person shooter, but it is obvious the game was rushed.

Im currently playing raving rabbits and wario. Wario has *style*, raving rabbits it's a mixed bag.

ink
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Game recommendations for Wii:
No Paper Mario??!?

That game is worth the Wii by itself.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 05:02 PM

So what's the best first person shooter on the Wii. I heard that there is one that is much better then Red Steel? Is it Call of Duty?

Any recommendations? (This will be a rental)

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
May 10, 2007, 06:15 PM

So what's the best first person shooter on the Wii. I heard that there is one that is much better then Red Steel? Is it Call of Duty?

Any recommendations? (This will be a rental)
Call of Duty, though that's not saying much since there's few FPSs for the Wii, and the ones that are out there are trash (Far Cry, Red Steel).

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 11:32 PM

Wow, Excite Truck is assy.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
No Paper Mario??!?

That game is worth the Wii by itself.
I havent actally had the opportunity to try this game. it looks interesting.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2007, 04:23 PM

Forget the Wii and LCD TV -- I'd be psyched about those cases of soda!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 13, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
That's exactly how I felt after a week with the system. That's the main reason I re-sold it (and the profit).

I loved Zelda, but not because of the controls. Actually, it might be more accurate to say I liked it in spite of the controls. The Wii is worth the money mostly for the simple fact that it plays new Nintendo games, but not because of the "innovative" controls.

That said, I still miss it sometimes. But I miss every console that I get/sell/trade.
Different strokes. I thought the control scheme made Zelda a great game. And as far as nothing on the Wii comparing to GoW, that's true, but for me that's in favor of the Wii. GoW was just another FPS, all be it a flashy one. Some games will really shine on the Wii, but only games that really take advantage of the Wii's controls (which I like very much). Eye candy dependant games will fail on the Wii, simply because it can't compete graphically with the 360 or the PS3. Different gaming experiences, really. I'm pleasantly surprised with the Wii. When it was first released I thought it idiotic, but after playing one, I hunting one down and bought it. I think it is very cool. Sidenote: the Wii is the first Nintendo Console I've actually purchased. Usually I have nothing but disdain for Nintendo with their inferior technology. Everybody always has something better than what Nintendo offers. Is was wise of them to change the way people play games instead of trying to compete head to head.
The price point on the Wii is crucial as well. If the Wii was $400 it would tank. At $250 it is an outstanding complement to a 360 and really offers the best of both worlds (innovative controller and innovative graphics) for the price of a PS3.

[edit: RE4 Wii is only going to be $30, which is nice. I Plan on picking it up.]
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 04:43 AM

Just picked up a "classic" controller for my Wii....

-not too exensive
-neat design
-great for NES/SNES games

i tried using my GCN controller for SNES games but it just felt too weird. i figure i can use the GCN controller for N64 and GCN games.

my qnly quib with the classic controller is that it has to be plugged into the Wiimote...it would have been better to just have the classic controller wireless alltogether imo.

Cheers

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 26, 2007, 01:56 PM

Just finished Zelda this morning. Game takes forever playing a couple hours a night a couple days a week, sheesh! Very nice game though. The lack of voice acting is a real puzzler for me, especially with the very cinematic feel of the game. I thought that was a minus, but doesn't keep it from being one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Next up is Super Paper Mario, and I am under orders from my wife to get Mario Party 8 when it is released.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules