Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Draft-n Wireless Routers

Draft-n Wireless Routers
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2008, 06:08 AM

Any recommendations for draft-n wireless routers? I'm leaning towards the Airport Extreme, but would like to weigh the options out there.

My current current router is an 802.11b, so obviously almost any new router would be an improvement, but I'm hoping to take advantage of my MacBook's draft-n capability, though I do have a Mac mini, so it wouldn't be a darft-n only network.

Anyway, I'm looking more for recommendations from personal experience. I've looked around sometimes only to find that a recommended draft-n router does not work well with Macs, and that type of thing is important, obviously.

Thanks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2008, 06:18 AM

You could get the AEBS and run it as a pure 5 GHz n network. Then attach the older b router to a LAN port on your AEBS and run it in bridge mode. That way you can use both b and n clients at their full speeds. Apple calls this a "dual-band" network (see page 48).

I am very pleased with my AEBS. It's a typical Apple device: if you want just plain n wireless there are cheaper options. But if you also want extras like the NAS option and a quality config tool you will have a hard time to find cheaper alternatives.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 20, 2008 at 06:24 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2008, 12:52 PM

I'm quite happy with this, for about half the price of the AEBS.

It doesn't include epically slow NAS or a proprietary configuration interface (just a standard web browser will do), but I don't really want either of those so it works for me.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It's a typical Apple device: if you want just plain n wireless there are cheaper options. But if you also want extras like the NAS option and a quality config tool you will have a hard time to find cheaper alternatives.
And how could I forget? Of course there's printer sharing too. Turning an inexpensive simple USB LaserJet into a regular network printer is very nice.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
And how could I forget? Of course there's printer sharing too. Turning an inexpensive simple USB LaserJet into a regular network printer is very nice.
On the low end, a LaserJet with ethernet is only $5 more than a LaserJet without.
But if you already own one that can be useful.

Yawn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2008, 11:41 AM

Get an Airport Extreme. You won't regret it.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 02:35 PM

I decided to get an Airport Extreme, as recommended, and it just arrived today. It's a big speed increase from my old router, but that was to be expected, considering the old one was using the old 802.11b standard.

BTW, your recommendation did not fall on deaf ears, mduell. I do appreciate the savings of the Trendnet, but I decided some of the additional features of the AEBS were worthwhile for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules