Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Password protected Flash Memory USB drives

Password protected Flash Memory USB drives
roders
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2010, 04:47 PM

I'm looking to source some of these, ideally Mac as well as PC compatible, but we can get by with boot-camp if required.
We just need password protection, not encryption, (to keep things affordable) but I'm having a really hard time finding a Mac/crossplatform compatible stick.
I've found the Lok-it, & a non software based solution appeals, but doubt we can get hold these yet in the UK, anyone have any other suggestions?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2010, 04:55 PM

Why not use a software solution ?

TrueCrypt is free and cross-plattform.

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

-t

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2010, 06:04 PM

The solution is not for me but for technophobe teachers, I've also used Truecrypt at work & it comes with its own issues plus they don not need the complexity or the encryption strength. Lexar makes drives with Mac software which will probably do the trick.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2010, 06:59 PM

There are USB drives with a little keypad to enter a code.

-t

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2010, 07:03 PM

I use my BlackBerry as an usb drive. It asks for a password whenever I connect it to a computer.

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2010, 09:09 AM

Buying a blackberry for each teacher when they just need some removable storage is probably not the best solution, As for the USB drive with a keypad, thats the Lok-It which I mentioned in the first post.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by roders View Post
Buying a blackberry for each teacher when they just need some removable storage is probably not the best solution, As for the USB drive with a keypad, thats the Lok-It which I mentioned in the first post.
I never said the teachers should each get a BlackBerry... I was just saying it's possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules