Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > The PS Vita thread

The PS Vita thread
ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2012, 04:47 PM

I thought I'd give it a place of its own, so this is it.

I've got one pre ordered, trading in the PSP and DS Lite to pay for some of it, I might still trade in some games against it too (I'm getting the wifi version).

The OS 1.6 update got announced today, adding a map application, video to the camera (it was previously only for still images) and a Mac version of the content manager (previously PS3 and Windows). Hopefully we should get this from day one in Europe and USA - Link . I've played with a demo unit and the screen is very nice, pretty much like a 5" version of an iPhone 'retina display'. Not sure what games I'll get for it yet but I pre ordered a bunch anyway, are there any game reviews out yet?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2012, 07:11 PM

Uncharted for me and I'm golden. Unit 13 looks kinda interesting. I might preorder my system this week. Wifi is what I'm planing on going for, too. I have a few imports on my PSP I don't want to give up yet so I might hang on to it for a while.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2012, 08:50 AM

The US PSN store now has some Vita games online ahead of the console launch, average discount (except for Uncharted) is 10% off the boxed version - Vita Games Appear On US PSN Store, Have A Read Of The Prices | Gaming News and Opinion at TheSixthAxis.com

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $35.99
ModNation Racers: Road Trip $26.99
Super Stardust Delta $9.99
Uncharted Golden Abyss $49.99
WipEout 2048 $35.99

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2012, 04:20 AM

Stuff I've got:

Frobisher Says. Warioware, but more weird. Not one to play in a public place, blinking to make a man dance, smiling at ladies but frowning at badgers pretending to be ladies etc. good way of using all the interfaces though.

Wipeout 2048. Looks great, I'd say more but I've only played the first few races, updating the game to 1.01 and/or getting the network pass for online play makes the game crash on startup (Error C2-12828-1). Hoping for 1.02 soon.

Motorstorm RC. Offroad Micro Machines . Dual stick control (left stick steer, right stick accelerate and brake, like an RC car). For under £5 it's a bargain. Lots of cars etc to unlock as you go through the game.

Ridge Racer. Looks good again, not really a full game (it's not a full price game). A code in the box for Gold Pass to add a few more cars, tracks and music, and another code for £8 off...

...Touch My Katamari. Bonkers as usual, only tried it with touch controls do far, I haven't tried the other control method but I think it's dual analogue stick, using the back trackpad to stretch the ball into a cylinder or squish it into a disc is new, I don't think you could do that in the other games.

Downloaded a couple of demos...

Lumines. From the demo, there's no touch control in the game, the description in PSN store says there is touchscreen and trackpad control though. There are few new special blocks that I haven't done the right thing to make them work yet. It's like the PSP Lumines, but prettier.

Super Stardust Delta. Two stick space shooter, The bastard offspring of Geometry Wars and Asteroids. For £6.49 or £7.99 for a bundle Advanced Fighter Pack version, I'll probably get it.

The Vita itself. I'm happy with it, battery life excepted (not good, hopefully somebody will come up with an add on battery pack). Yes it's big, more coat pocket than trouser pocket, but the screen is great, and very bright even on the lowest setting.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2012, 01:13 PM

I've got Uncharted (of course) which is great. It feels like and looks just like a PS3 game, very impressed.

As for a good demo, if you are into SOCOM, and or Syphon Filter, Unit 13, is very good. You can rank up characters and unlock items for use when the full game comes out in March.

I've also converted some video to test out on the screen. Very good quality and detail. The browser is now usable for once. It is listed as HTML5 compliant but still lacks quite a bit of things (most CSS3, video, audio tags). It is webkit based so it might get upgraded, perhaps. Overall I'm very happy with it as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules