Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Crash on Wakeup in 10.2.5; ridiculous APPLE

Crash on Wakeup in 10.2.5; ridiculous APPLE
mrl14
Apr 30, 2003, 09:39 AM

Using a brand new MDD 1.4MP Mac running 10.2.3 and now 10.2.5 I continue to experience wake from sleep crashes.

Not only that, it can take up to 5 minutes for it to actually unfreeze itself and connect to the Internet (when it doesn't crash). I'm willing to bet this issue is a network issue as, as soon as iChat connects the machine lets go of its "frozen state" and I now have control.

This happened in 10.2.4 on my old MDD 1ghz, I then upgraded to a 1.42gz, used the clean install of the system on that machine as 10.2.3 and then upgraded to 10.2.5 and I had this issue on ALL versions listed above on both machines.

Apple has had sleep issues from day one with OS X, this fantasy they live in where the machine wakes up in 1 second doesn't happen, the screen shows up, but you can't do anything.

This is ridiculous and very frustrating,...FIX THE FLIPPING SLEEP ISSUES DAMMIT!!

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 11:36 AM

I've never had issues such as these in any version of OS X... I've been using OS X on 3 different Macs, and never experienced this...

Originally posted by mrl14:
Using a brand new MDD 1.4MP Mac running 10.2.3 and now 10.2.5 I continue to experience wake from sleep crashes.

Not only that, it can take up to 5 minutes for it to actually unfreeze itself and connect to the Internet (when it doesn't crash). I'm willing to bet this issue is a network issue as, as soon as iChat connects the machine lets go of its "frozen state" and I now have control.

This happened in 10.2.4 on my old MDD 1ghz, I then upgraded to a 1.42gz, used the clean install of the system on that machine as 10.2.3 and then upgraded to 10.2.5 and I had this issue on ALL versions listed above on both machines.

Apple has had sleep issues from day one with OS X, this fantasy they live in where the machine wakes up in 1 second doesn't happen, the screen shows up, but you can't do anything.

This is ridiculous and very frustrating,...FIX THE FLIPPING SLEEP ISSUES DAMMIT!!

cms
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 11:43 AM

This happened to me quite often on an old-style iMac when it was running 10.2.3. It happened maybe twice on the same machine in 10.2.4 but (touch wood) has not surfaced under 10.2.5.

I do agree, however, with the overall sentiment expressed by the thread starter. The OS X sleep issue really does need sorting. Fast....

Get to it, Apple

mrl14  (op)
Apr 30, 2003, 11:51 AM

I'm just frustrated.

I consider myself an advanced apple and unix user, and I just am sick and tired of being thrown around here. For example If I called Apple I bet I would be told to reinstall the OS, format the drives, etc...but this was a brand new machine! And it produced the same results as my last 2 installs...I wonder if this is an MDD issue as it never happened on the Quicksilvers.

sandsl
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 11:57 AM

Never had this problem in Mac OS X. I have, and continue to get a crash in OS9 on my old powerbook when waking up from sleep.

Sleep
Luke

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 12:11 PM

This is supposedly a known issue with some USB Hubs... have you got one?

I have two computers with two different hubs... one has the crashing problem, and the other doesn't.

This is supposedly being fixed in a 10.2.6 release soon.

-mpm

mrl14  (op)
Apr 30, 2003, 12:36 PM

No USB Hubs, remember this was happening as hearly as 10.2.3 on 2 different MDD machines.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 01:16 PM

Thats terrible, but I wonder why it is happening to you - My G4 laptop is connected to an AFP LAN, and Win 2k LAN, and sometimes an Airport internet connection too - It wakes in under a second on 10.2.5

What else are you running - have you tried turning off all network functions? Do you have it using a network time server?

Otherwise we can only assume it is hardware related.

mrl14  (op)
Apr 30, 2003, 01:31 PM

Its not hardware related, its internet related. I have friends who lose internet after wake from sleep and i notice that my mac can take up to 5 min to go online, (when it doesn't crash).

I thought it was Meteorologist at one time...not sure yet.

malbicho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by mpmchugh:
This is supposedly a known issue with some USB Hubs... have you got one?

-mpm
i had freezes and kernel panics time ago when waking up the box. everytime it was due to different usb devices i had connected (i figure as in the kernel-panic's dumps i could read there were problems waking up usb devices)
malbicho --> +mal +bichos
www.ppcnerds.org :)

mrl14  (op)
Apr 30, 2003, 01:50 PM

I don't get kernel panics, I get freezes.

The mouse still moves.

not to mention trying to press in that power button on the front of the mac to reset it is a hassle in itself.

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 02:02 PM

I've had very poor experiences with waking from sleep on my Sawtooth tower with every version of OS X: 10.0 to 10.2.5.

Never had problems under OS 9, don't have a USB hub connected, don't have third-party PCI cards installed.

The machine is otherwise very stable. But I dearly miss having a sleep function.

Oh well.

HorseyBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 06:20 PM

Do you by any chance happen to have the "Date and Time" System preference panel set to "Use a Network Time Server"? I once had a wake from sleep problem with this. Then again, I once had a wake from sleep problem that turned out to be the hard drive . . .
Mr Ed

mrl14  (op)
Apr 30, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by HorseyBoy:
Do you by any chance happen to have the "Date and Time" System preference panel set to "Use a Network Time Server"? I once had a wake from sleep problem with this. Then again, I once had a wake from sleep problem that turned out to be the hard drive . . .
Mr Ed
I do...I guess i'll turn that off for a week and see what happens. Regardless though if this is the case, Apple should fix it...such crap.
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by iSore:
But I dearly miss having a sleep function.

Oh well.
I could not live with out being able
to put my mac to sleep. How do you cope man ?

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2003, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by mrl14:
I'm just frustrated.

I consider myself an advanced apple and unix user, and I just am sick and tired of being thrown around here. For example If I called Apple I bet I would be told to reinstall the OS, format the drives, etc...
No offense but if you consider your self any sort of expert I would have thought you would have studiously tried disabling all network functions in turn to find out which one was freezing your computer - the fact that you've never tried turning off network time server (a pretty much redundant function to have permanently on), and a well known cause of system slow down, (you're startup should get faster too by the way), indicates you might want to question your expert status.

Also as far as I'm aware it doesn't check network time server by default, so this is not a completely fresh install, you've already messed with various settings.

Maybe you should try calling Apple even if it doesn't turn out to to be caused by the Network Time Server, they might have some useful suggestions - even for experts.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 09:19 AM

I use the network time server option on every single Mac in my admin care, which is about 35. I have never had anything like what you are having happen. I personally have 4 OS X macs at home, a pismo G3 400, cube 450, iMac 500 and a MDD867. I have only had a single freeze when waking from sleep, and that was on the MDD867 and was related to VueScan software for my scanner.
Sorry but the sleep option does work as Apple adverstises, just not for you, unfortunately.

mrl14  (op)
May 1, 2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by GENERAL_SMILEY:
Also as far as I'm aware it doesn't check network time server by default, so this is not a completely fresh install, you've already messed with various settings.

Maybe you should try calling Apple even if it doesn't turn out to to be caused by the Network Time Server, they might have some useful suggestions - even for experts. [/B]
Like another user pointed out, the network time server should work, and it has worked for me in the past.

Everyone is always learning, including expert users =), but I will not call apple for their BS. For example, last week I had a quicksilver that got a kernel panic about 2-5 min into each OS X boot, no amount of reinstalling, reformatting, swapping ram etc, fix it. I got sick and tired of being thrown around by apple, that I sat down long and hard and concluded it was a MP issue....had those replaced, its been fine ever since.

Regardless, I've noticed that ever since the Internet became so big, computers seem to act worse when there is no Internet. I remember in OS 9, when it would freeze the computer while it tries to connect to the internet, Winblows does the same thing, and so does OS X.

Anyways...thanks for all the help, this morning, after disabling network time server and quitting meteorologist it does seem to be a network related issue as it took 2 min to connect, but the computer was still useable.
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules