Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Major Mail.app IMAP Bug

Major Mail.app IMAP Bug
mrl14
Jun 3, 2003, 05:19 PM

I've been using Mail.app with an IMAP account for some time and always wondered why it basically loaded the entire folder structure of my web site into its folders.

Anyhow, today I finally decided to investigate, and what I found was very disturbing. I have given various people email accounts with my domain and I had complete (ie. no password) access to these accounts. they were sitting their in my folder structure and I could view the entire messages.

To me this is a huge bug. It doesn't happen in Outlook or entorouge on Mac or PC. Now I would also point out that the accout I am using is the main/default account created with the web site, and I have yet to verify how Mail handles IMAP for the extra email accounts I create, but nonetheless this is a huge security hole.

anyone confirm? agree? disagree?
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

suthercd
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 06:08 PM

Need some info to comment. What server handles your IMAP account? What email server have you used to give people their own accounts? How was the security configured? What web site do you refer to in your posting?

Craig

crazysprocket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 06:51 PM

This sounds very much like what happens when you connect to Mac OS X Server on the IMAP admin port. Check to make sure you are using the default IMAP port (143).

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jun 4, 2003, 08:31 AM

That cannot be a Mail.app problem. The server has to prevent email clients from accessing other people's mailboxes. If it was the task of the client, someone could easily "hack" that functionality out and have access to all mailboxes.
So your server must be misconfigured or, as someone suggested, you connect to the admin port.

Forum Links
Forum Rules